Book Discussion

Any thoughts?

1,768 Responses to “Book Discussion”

1. Jim Murray says:

I have had a good look around your site, and even Googled a few sites to see what this is all about. All I can think of is a line from the movie, The American President, where the President gives his resolution speech at the end of the movie. “We’ve got serious problems, and we need serious people….. This is a time for serious people,…” So you’ve made your point, I think (that’s one of the problems with satire, that it doesn’t really make any clear point). But now you, and those who find what you’re doing to be of some unfathomable interest, continue with the inanity, to no particular end. Do you seriously believe that you have made one scintilla of difference in the big debate? I’m not defending the other side, by the way, they have clearly earned the contempt with which many hold them. But it seems to me that the only reason for perpetuating this is for nothing more than to make an easy profit and amuse yourself no end. That is perceived as a right by Americans, but it puts you in the category of doing little more or better for society than those you seek to disparage. As such, you are as undeserving of respect as they are. Congratulations, I hope that makes you happy.

• Nick says:

You seem to have the kind of misplaced or undeserved confidence in your opinions that is indicative of irrational people like fundamentalists. Congratulations, I hope that makes you happy.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Jim, every new religion, in all cultures, has been disparagingly described as satire by the believers of the old religion. Romans regarded Christians as terrorist atheists. Who are the ‘they’ you refer to? You refer to people as using religion to justify/explain forming ‘sides’. I think you have identified ‘the serious problem’.

2. paola says:

excelente que bien

3. Austen says:

Here is a question, Is god real? Most people will say there is no evidence to prove that god exists. Therefore god doesn’t exist.

Here is my answer to the question “Is god real?”.

There is no evidence to prove that god exists. However, there is no evidence to prove that god doesn’t exist. So if something doesn’t exist, and there is no evidence to prove that claim. You have to conclude that god exists. There is no evidence to prove god exists, but god has to exist because there is no evidence that proves he does not exist. For something to not exist, it has to not exist. For something that does exist, it has to exist. Therefore, god does exist. Therefore god is real. Crazy right? I am god because I think. Therefore I am.

Crazy stuff right? Just food for thought. Feel free to email me.

• Keith says:

Austen: most atheists simply do not believe in any gods, as opposed to saying that no gods exist. It’s like a trial. If someone is found “not guilty” it doesn’t necessarily mean that the person is innocent: it simply means that there is insufficient evidence to bang that person up. If people see no evidence for a god, it simply means that they don’t believe, not that they believe there is no god. Atheism is primarily also agnosticism. A gnostic atheist will
      assert there is no god. In that case he has made a positive statement and the burden of proof is now on him.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Austen,

Your grasp of logic is appalling.

You are an intellectual midget (or as in our faith, midgit).

Yarrgh

• Keith says:

RIP John Clarke. The funniest man ever to come from New Zealand.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Keith, I (and I suppose many others) didn’t know about Clarke. The Clarke sketches I found suggest you are right and then some! Sorry for your – and our – loss.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

He was superb. Whenever he and Dawes came on the ABC news the wife and I would stop whatever we were doing.

Luckily he is survived by many talented Kiwis, the great Taika Waititi just to name a popular one.

4. Captain Birdseye says:

Austen, a claim without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. I think you may enjoy a cold beer and reading a book on logic.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Austen, to make myself more clear, you pose one presuppositional (loaded) question, ‘Is god real?’ to which the correct answer is ‘What is god?’, and then build several unsupported claims on something undefined. Seems like Mediaeval theology to me. The only thing you can be certain of, and nothing more, is that you thought it.

5. Rasputin says:

God definitely exists. That’s why planets resemble meatballs and the DNA spiral resembles fusilli pasta.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Rasputin, if god exists, did The FSM create him/it? Why?

• Rasputin says:

The FSM is the only God. The Abrahamic god is a silly invention. The FSM could have intervened and encouraged humans to disregard the false god, but He said, ” I’m too busy getting my noodle sucked” and never got around to it.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Ah… a teaching aid gone awry.

6. RussPickerin says:

I see your site needs some fresh & unique articles.

Writing manually is time consuming, but there is solution for
    this hard task. Just search for – Miftolo’s tools rewriter

• Captain Birdseye says:

‘Writing manually is time consuming, but, there is a solution to this hard task.’ What the f–k? I have never heard of a worse literary idea, except for a Readbot, to save people from reading its rubbish.

7. Patroller says:

Bobby, Fat Bastard, Captain, Rasputin, Kekka… Goodbye to the cesspit that is the FSM. Disabled toilet.

8. Fat Bastard says:

Dickie, tell me about this sense of entitlement that you have; your urge to offend people; the unwaranted idea that you are intelligent and useful. This is narcissism, an unpleasant, pathological, personality type. Finding pleasure from acting on that pathology means that you are also psychopathic. Co-morbidity is usual, and, it appears that you are also obsessive, compulsive, bi-polar and an addict, if not to a substance, then to a behaviour, such as wanking.
    You should have grown up by now and stopped behaving like a toddler, which, unable to comprehend, suggests final disabilities of autism and a tiny dick. Unfortunately, the only outcome for your profoundly disabling situation is being a serial failure, a waste of everyone’s time and a parasite on anyone stupid enough to attempt to help you. Most people with your personality problems are beyond help and end up in jail.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Well said, FB – although I thought at first that you were addressing Donald Trump. It’s hard to compare Dickie and DJT either in persistence or craziness.

Leave a Reply