Noodle Mass discrimination in Germany

Published August 7th, 2017 by Bobby Henderson

German courts have ruled that Pastafarians are not allowed to post announcements of services alongside those of other churches.

One of the signs that was ordered to be removed:

The German Pastafarians put these signs up years ago in Templin after other churches were allowed to post signs. There were complaints by locals who felt mocked, and it’s been in the Brandenburg state court system ever since.

It’s disappointing that the courts would discriminate against the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

From the New York Post,

Brandenburg state court ruled Wednesday the group can’t claim the rights of a religious or philosophical community. Judges said its criticism of others’ beliefs doesn’t constitute a philosophy.

I find the reasoning dishonest. They could have made a fair point to say Pastafarians do not share an unquestioning faith of our own Dogma in the way that happens in many religions – that we do not necessarily Truly Believe our outlandish stories in the way that others might – but it is an absurd idea that the majority of Pastafarians have joined the Church in order to criticize others’ beliefs. What a cynical view.

Is it hard to believe that people who are wired to reject faith could be drawn to a religion that respects Reason, one that is OK with Believers not fully swallowing Dogma? Perhaps there are people who enjoy the community of a church, without the necessity of denying Reality?

Aside from that, I do not feel that Pastafarians are inherently judgmental people — I haven’t yet experienced this “criticism of others’ beliefs” that the courts have projected onto our members. In fact that sort of judgmental criticism sounds like what I’ve seen in mainstream churches.

No matter. I’m confident that we’ll win in the end. And I think there is value when government institutions are forced to show their biases. They have ruled against us, but in doing so have exposed their own discriminatory attitude. It may be that the growth of the Church of the FSM is in part due to the reaction of fair-minded people, after these setbacks happen. In other words, a few small-minded people with power have asserted their Authority and “won”, but many more people will hear of what took place and form their own opinions, and that is a win for us.

I would like to thank the German Pastafarians for keeping up the fight. You are an inspiration to us all.

The best article about this court case is here. At the top right you can translate into English.

39 Responses to “Noodle Mass discrimination in Germany”

1. Captain Birdseye says:

AF, a type of cosmic wedgie? Shroedinger tried to ridicule QM by extrapolating to large scale objects, whereas, QM only applies to sub-atomic particles. When an object is composed of zillions of particles, such as AM’s knickers, the effect averages-out as meaningless.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

I’d be soooo sorry to see Schrodinger’s cat overshadowed by Schrodinger’s underpants

• Captain Birdseye says:

AF, perhaps the dilemma is what afflicts flashers.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Hee hee….

2. Winston says:

I believe other forms of discrimination between Pastafarians and so called “True Religions” are found elsewhere. Although not as serious, and may seem mediocre, when you search how to draw the FSM, the main result will pop up on the website “How to Draw Cartoons Online!” Although this is very small, it is still discrimination. I would like to bring this to someone’s attention as nobody will listen to a single Pastafarian trying to gain recognition for his religion. Here is the website… http://www.how-to-draw-cartoons-online.com/flying-spaghetti-monster.html

• Captain Birdseye says:

Winston, it is spreading awareness.
      Christian sites may well imitate, offering cartoons of the mythical Christian god.

3. Rasputin says:

My comment about Angela Merkel’s knickers is one which I use on YouTube. I find a video in which a Christian woman is talking about Jebus. Then I say, “This woman isn’t wearing knickers, I have no evidence to support my belief. I believe it anyway because I want it to be true. That’s Christian belief in a nutshell”. The comment often receives “likes”.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Grigorii Yefimovich – I think I get it – A M is kind of a Czarina, right??? LOL. You’re right about “nutshell”….

• Captain Birdseye says:

Worthy, Rasputin, of your theological training and alleged interests.

4. mary says:

Hello this is how i got a loan that Changed my life for Good.God bless Legitimate loan firm I am Mary From Usa, i have been through a lot of scam as i have been searching for a loan to settle my dept. Finally i came across an email on line, someone testify of how Legitimate loan firm help Him. I contacted them and Mrs Jan agent in the company responded with easy steps i received a loan. I already agreed within me that there is no true lender but wow i was wrong.Thanks to Legitimate Loan firm