Noodle Mass discrimination in Germany

Published August 7th, 2017 by Bobby Henderson

German courts have ruled that Pastafarians are not allowed to post announcements of services alongside those of other churches.

One of the signs that was ordered to be removed:

The German Pastafarians put these signs up years ago in Templin after other churches were allowed to post signs. There were complaints by locals who felt mocked, and it’s been in the Brandenburg state court system ever since.

It’s disappointing that the courts would discriminate against the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

From the New York Post,

Brandenburg state court ruled Wednesday the group can’t claim the rights of a religious or philosophical community. Judges said its criticism of others’ beliefs doesn’t constitute a philosophy.

I find the reasoning dishonest. They could have made a fair point to say Pastafarians do not share an unquestioning faith of our own Dogma in the way that happens in many religions – that we do not necessarily Truly Believe our outlandish stories in the way that others might – but it is an absurd idea that the majority of Pastafarians have joined the Church in order to criticize others’ beliefs. What a cynical view.

Is it hard to believe that people who are wired to reject faith could be drawn to a religion that respects Reason, one that is OK with Believers not fully swallowing Dogma? Perhaps there are people who enjoy the community of a church, without the necessity of denying Reality?

Aside from that, I do not feel that Pastafarians are inherently judgmental people — I haven’t yet experienced this “criticism of others’ beliefs” that the courts have projected onto our members. In fact that sort of judgmental criticism sounds like what I’ve seen in mainstream churches.

No matter. I’m confident that we’ll win in the end. And I think there is value when government institutions are forced to show their biases. They have ruled against us, but in doing so have exposed their own discriminatory attitude. It may be that the growth of the Church of the FSM is in part due to the reaction of fair-minded people, after these setbacks happen. In other words, a few small-minded people with power have asserted their Authority and “won”, but many more people will hear of what took place and form their own opinions, and that is a win for us.

I would like to thank the German Pastafarians for keeping up the fight. You are an inspiration to us all.

The best article about this court case is here. At the top right you can translate into English.

39 Responses to “Noodle Mass discrimination in Germany”

1. Saint Robert (not Robby) says:

R’amen to Nudlemesse!

2. Cap'n Bucatini says:

UPDATE: The Kirche des fliegenden Spaghettimonsters appeals the decision and takes its case to the Supreme Court of Germany!

3. Robert jansen says:

See Fellowship of Humanity v. County of Alameda, 153 Cal.App.2d 673, 315 P.2d 394 (1957). This the leading case on government inquiry into religious belief in the United States of America, and has been cited with approval by the Supreme Court of the United States. The short, short version is that the government cannot inquire into the legitimacy with which a religious belief is held without infringing on the free exercise of religion . How this line of reasoning will be viewed by the German courts, I cannot say. Fellowship of Humanity and the line of cases following its line of reasoning may at least offer something in the way of case authority for the appeal.

4. theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

It was only a couple of hours ago I heard a Christian speak disdain for Islam. Are the Christian churches there exempt from this law? Yeah, it happened in Michigan, but the speaker was German-American. That counts, right?

• Captain Birdseye says:

tFtPtM, I believe, if done in a church, they hide behind the Freedom of Religion laws. Christian men can marry a ten-year-old girl, avoiding Age of Consent laws, or, beat children, with a defence of religious belief. Unless that’s all been changed.

5. Kekka says:

Just because this is funny…

Enjoy guys xo

• Captain Birdseye says:

Very amusing. Except that she referred to atheism as the ‘fastest growing religion’. An essential qualifier of a religion includes a belief in ‘supernatural forces’. It is possible to turn anything into a religion, provided, it is based on Magical Thinking.

• Rasputin says:

BRILLIANT, KEKKA! Thanks for sharing. HAHAHAHAHA! Disappointed there’s no FSM at the table.

6. Robert jansen says:

It would appear that the court’s ruling against the Pastafarians is in direct contradiction of Article 4 of the German Constitution.

7. json formatter says:

• Captain Birdseye says:

Due to a lack of evidence, Json, it’s not hard to believe at all. One simply has to accept that rhetoric does not replace evidence.

8. Rasputin says:

I believe Angela Merkel doesn’t wear any knickers. I know this to be true. I have absolutely no evidence to support my belief, but I believe it anyway because I want it to be true. That’s Christian belief in a nutshell.
    I hope I’m wrong! I don’t want to imagine Angela Merkel without any knickers. That’s an image in my mind which I don’t want.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Rasputin, why would you ‘want it to to be true’ that Angela Merkel doesn’t wear knickers? I suspect you are now doomed to constantly imagine it.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

“God exists because the Bible says so, and it”s God’s word” is a familiar refrain. Angela Merkel’s ass is bare because I have seen it and know is a new one …:Angela deserves more reverence than that!!!

• Apprentice Frederic says:

I think she started as a quantum chemist…w/ or w/o knickers

• Captain Birdseye says:

Shroedinger had a similar problem with his underpants.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Right – that’s what quantum entanglement is all about.