Success (and trouble) for Arizona Pastafarian’s ID Photo

Published June 2nd, 2017 by Bobby Henderson

Congratulations to Mr. Corbett — Arizona finally allowed him to wear a colander in his ID photo, after many attempts.

“I tried a couple different locations and was met with a lot of pushback and resistance,” he said. “I was scorned at every location I went to, and they put out a memo about me, so by the time I got to (the) fourth and fifth MVD, they stopped me at the door.

“They got angry at me and treated me with such disrespect.”

He recently tried again and, after talking with the location’s manager, was able to take the photo. He received his official ID in the mail Tuesday.

“I was really excited,” Corbett said. “I felt, in that moment, that I won my battle. It was a huge victory for me.”

However, it seems that Arizona bureaucrats heard about this and will try to take the license back:

A spokesman for the Arizona Department of Transportation, which oversees the Motor Vehicle Division, released a statement on the matter.

“MVD license and ID photos are meant to show a person’s typical daily appearance and allow for religious expression or medical needs. Photos are filtered through facial recognition technology and if an error occurs, the photo can be recalled,” the statement said.

Spokesman Doug Nick later added that “we will go through the process to pull this credential.”

So we’ll see what happens.

Whatever the outcome, it’s nice to see people like Mr. Corbett fighting for their rights. The struggle itself is so important.

Our view is that it’s inappropriate for a government organization to make a judgment based on a person’s religion. If the head covering meets the visibility requirements, it should be allowed no matter what religion that hat is associated with.

Sometimes the DMV workers don’t know the rules fully, and that is understandable. Perhaps some of the workers are letting their personal views color their behavior, which is unfortunate but human. What is more interesting is in cases like Mr. Corbett’s, where management gets involved — the actions they take will be very important to watch.

For now let’s give the Arizona officials the benefit of the doubt and hope that Mr. Corbett will be afforded the same rights as members of other religions.

Again, congratulations on the win, Mr. Corbett, and thank you for your effort. And thank you to Pastafarians everywhere, who are fighting for their rights.

There’s a nice article about this at USA Today here.

47 Responses to “Success (and trouble) for Arizona Pastafarian’s ID Photo”

1. Bob Wierdsma says:

In Ontario, Canada you can wear a head covering IF you wear it EVERY day for religious or medical reasons if you want a drivers license. So…that means going to work, grocery stores, down main street, and perhaps having passersby think you have lost a few of your marbles! Are you willing to become a laughing stock?

• Captain Birdseye says:

Bob, Canada obstructs partial religious adherance? I know Jews who only wear their skull-cap on formal occasions, including their official photographs, which comprises part of their identity. I suspect there are Sikhs and Muslims who do the same. Obviously, that is banned in Canada.

• Patroller says:

Canadians are plebs. Disabled toilet.

• Patroller says:

I am an autistic, narcissistic psychopath who lives on the streets and shouts meaningless abuse at passers-by. Richard III.

2. Cardinal Sue says:

So it slipped through the cracks in the system…shows their system is cracked.

3. Excelsior says:

Kudos,Corbett!
    In the not too distant future all the other other religions will have gone extinct and then everyone will wear a collander because everyone will be a Pastafarian!
    Glory to the FSM. RAmen!

4. Michael C. Jr. says:

I do hope you do not wear the colander all the time, as it is currently summer, and metal absorbs quite a bit of heat. Please wear your FSM colander with both pride and caution.

• Captain Birdseye says:

My TV news must be wrong, Michael, they keep telling me that it’s winter. Also, shiny materials reflect the sun away; it’s the only sensible summer hat.

• Keith says:

It’s spring on Mars. Don’t let your colander get caught in the red weed.

• Patroller says:

Anyone who wears a colander is a fool. Disabled toilet.

• Michael C. Jr. says:

I apologize for attracting the disabled green pussbag that addresses itself as “Patroller”. Please understand I live in the Northern Hemisphere so it is currently summer for me, I am only looking out for other’s well being and do not want anyone to seriously hurt.
          Thank you for pointing out these issues.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Michael, ignore Trollop the bilge worm: he displays all of the symptoms of being autistic, narcissistic, psychopathic, obsessive and probably paranoid schizophrenic.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Cap’n B., I’d gently demur at the ‘autistic’ word: P.A.M. Dirac, one of the greatest theoretical physicists of the last century, was thought by some to be autistic, probably not a cultivated character defect. One has to be sorry for a real case, albeit not for the trolloper. There’s a joke going around, BTW: A pervert, a malignant narcissist, a pathological liar, and a sociopath walk into a bar. And the bartender says: “What’ll it be, Mr. President???”

• Captain Birdseye says:

AF, all this stuff about Trump isn’t real; it’s an American TV show.
          People with autism are often brilliant in some narrow field.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Cap’n B., Fair enough. I have always struggled with the difference between genuinely ill people and those who simply – like trolloper – seem to cultivate malevolence for fun. You have evidently thought a lot about that, and what you have concluded would be, truly, interesting to hear more about! Re: Trump, I hope you’ll forgive the “joke”; I think a (growing!) majority of Americans aren’t entertained by the TV show, although we may deserve it anyway. I’d hope not, but your opinion noted!

• Captain Birdseye says:

AF, none of the classifications I mentioned should be regarded as illnesses (or insults), rather, a difference, possibly, to be enjoyed as a gift (the psychological view). However, if someone behaves like a shit, they should be treated as a shit: equality under Law and Natural Justice!
          In short, if someone tolerates unpleasant/aggressive behaviour, it is that person who has ‘the problem’. There is a saying somewhere, from one of your Enlightened Fathers, about ‘good men doing nothing’. Obviously, this area is a moral soup that many claim authority over, especially, religionists and psychiatrists: the Government’s ‘agents of social control’.

• Captain Birdseye says:

St. G., if I were the Inspector, I would be looking for bite marks, should you indulge Rasputin his apparently innocent fantasy.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Cap’n B, Interesting and helpful – Thank you…

• Gnocchi Saint Pudding. Saint Gnocchi says:

Hello! There is only One Flying Spaghetti Monster and Bobby is his prophet. Long live the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Great Blessing on all Pastas’ noodles.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

G St P Your faith a beacon in dark times – so happy to hear from you!!!

• Rasputin says:

Yaarrgghhh, I’d like to lick a plate of spag bol off your Zulu buttocks, St. G, but my wife won’t let me. I can still dream.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Where are you, Saint Gnocchi? The Beacon is dim.
          Hopefully, you have not become a shrunken head or gone in the pot.

5. White_Rabbit says:

[Off Topic] The rss feed at https://www.venganza.org/feed is broken. It starts with (hex) “0d 0a 0d 0a” and then continues with a correct xml. Please fix it <3 :)

6. Karen says:

Finally Arizona accepted. And the photo is TOP!

7. Chris Skurkey says:

The argument from the state’s perspective about facial recognition software…. uh…. hello? He’s the only person who wears a colander on his head…. smh.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Chris, the problem with specious governmental reasoning is that it causes all governmental reasoning to be perceived as false.

8. Matthew Snow says:

I Just got my Ordination processed so, now I may officially bring the true love of PAsta to the World. Praise Linguini! Once my wallet ID arrives I will be heading on down to the DMV to get my new Driver’s License photo with my beautiful Yellow Collander. Here’s hoping the State of Texas doesn’t give me any blowback.

In the name of the Pasta, the Salt, and the Boiling WAter, Ramen.