Success (and trouble) for Arizona Pastafarian’s ID Photo

Published June 2nd, 2017 by Bobby Henderson

Congratulations to Mr. Corbett — Arizona finally allowed him to wear a colander in his ID photo, after many attempts.

“I tried a couple different locations and was met with a lot of pushback and resistance,” he said. “I was scorned at every location I went to, and they put out a memo about me, so by the time I got to (the) fourth and fifth MVD, they stopped me at the door.

“They got angry at me and treated me with such disrespect.”

He recently tried again and, after talking with the location’s manager, was able to take the photo. He received his official ID in the mail Tuesday.

“I was really excited,” Corbett said. “I felt, in that moment, that I won my battle. It was a huge victory for me.”

However, it seems that Arizona bureaucrats heard about this and will try to take the license back:

A spokesman for the Arizona Department of Transportation, which oversees the Motor Vehicle Division, released a statement on the matter.

“MVD license and ID photos are meant to show a person’s typical daily appearance and allow for religious expression or medical needs. Photos are filtered through facial recognition technology and if an error occurs, the photo can be recalled,” the statement said.

Spokesman Doug Nick later added that “we will go through the process to pull this credential.”

So we’ll see what happens.

Whatever the outcome, it’s nice to see people like Mr. Corbett fighting for their rights. The struggle itself is so important.

Our view is that it’s inappropriate for a government organization to make a judgment based on a person’s religion. If the head covering meets the visibility requirements, it should be allowed no matter what religion that hat is associated with.

Sometimes the DMV workers don’t know the rules fully, and that is understandable. Perhaps some of the workers are letting their personal views color their behavior, which is unfortunate but human. What is more interesting is in cases like Mr. Corbett’s, where management gets involved — the actions they take will be very important to watch.

For now let’s give the Arizona officials the benefit of the doubt and hope that Mr. Corbett will be afforded the same rights as members of other religions.

Again, congratulations on the win, Mr. Corbett, and thank you for your effort. And thank you to Pastafarians everywhere, who are fighting for their rights.

There’s a nice article about this at USA Today here.

98 Responses to “Success (and trouble) for Arizona Pastafarian’s ID Photo”

1. Captain ramen says:

We pastafarians should brake away from the U.S.A. and form Pastastan to united our people under one country. Pastastan forever!

2. Kekka says:

Hello all, long time no visit. How have we all been?

• punkape says:

Where have you been kekka?

Lol..

• Captain ramen says:

good.

• Kekka says:

That’s good… Its been about 6 months since I’ve been here…

• Captain Birdseye says:

Hi, Kekka, welcome back. What have you been up to? I’m tempted to ask for the secret password as the idiotic Trollope still lingers, now as Spunkmonkey, which is probably also his pastime.

3. Kekka says:

Well captain, I’ve had a little pirate spawn who’s keeping me very busy ATM. He’s a lovely li’l boy; he will soon have a pirate suit lol… I saw the spunk monkey and figured it for the Trollope. My my, the more things change the more they stay the same lol.

• Punkape says:

It’s the usual depraved thinking from the punters on this swamp.

Spunk and ATM in the same post.

Lol…

• Captain Birdseye says:

Congratulations, Kekka! Is he your first? Post some photos of the kid in his pirate romp-suit. May I suggest a Dali style moustache and a rum label on his bottle.
      ‘Depraved’ is the greatest compliment I could have hoped for: I’m beaming with pride. Spunkmonkey doesn’t grasp that he is a ‘punter on this swamp’: I suspect he pisses in swimming pools as well.

• punkape says:

Captain, you are wrong as usual.

Lol..

• Captain Birdseye says:

I think this is what you’ve been looking for, Spunkers.

• punkape says:

Captain, you’ve gone crazy. Let’s talk.

Lol..

• Captain Birdseye says:

Oh…. As you don’t seem to get out much, maybe this is a more appropriate model for you. A keyboard would be an essential extra.

• Captain Birdseye says:

……. and here’s a fantastic new hobby to while away a boring decade.

• Keith says:

Don’t tell me: the Lavo Fit is an advert in Viz?

• Captain Birdseye says:

Yes, they all are, Keith. And here’s another for Spunkmonkey’s toilet fetish.

• Punkape says:

The last three posts from the Captain clearly indicate the disturbed mind of this poor creature. Get some help quickly.

Lol..

• Captain Birdseye says:

Never heard of the Freudian principles of transference or projective identification? I’m surprised that you don’t read Viz, and, even more surprised that you’re not the proud designer of their disability toilet devices. I note that you don’t whine about the name, MonkSpunkey: had problems with the clergy, have we?

• Captain Birdseye says:

May I suggest that you swap your toothbrush, for one more appropriate for the task.

• Punkape says:

Captain, I’m really getting worried for you friend. Relax, drink your beer and eat your pasta. Lol…

• Kekka says:

Punky, I have a better class of troll to deal with nowadays. You are no longer fun. I will ignore you now until you’re funny again pooes. Have a good day…

Captain, I have my eye on a costume. It has the coolest hat AND an eye patch.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Kekka, kids love fantasy role-play; remember to post photos for us to admire. It’s great progress that Spunkmonkey is ‘worried’ about me. We aim for exactly that with fundies. That view (reflection) slowly erodes their layers of perceptual distortion until they finally realise (hopefully) that they have always been referring to themselves. In short, what we dislike in others are our own ‘faults’. Your kid will sort out any lingering distortions you may have. What did you think of my suggested labour-saving devices for Trollop’s toilet fetish?

• Captain Birdseye says:

Kekka, could this be you in a few years?

• Captain Birdseye says:

….. I’d prefer to imagine this one, though.

• Punkape says:

Captain, are you ok? You’re getting tense. Calm down man.

Lol…

• Captain Birdseye says:

Tense, Spunkmonkey? I’m having fun. I’ve been dealing with anti-social people for a living for thirty years, yawn….

• Patroller says:

Captain, you will meet the Master.

Disabled toilet.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Patroller, how I will know? More important, how will you know that I know? We need a better class of troll: one that doesn’t repeat overused phrases and has a bit of wit.
          It seems that you didn’t buy the toilet-mouth scrubber and probably blocked the Lav-o-Lift on first use. Improve your humour or I will cease reading or responding.

• Patroller says:

Captain, you’re a boring sod. I can’t interact with your banality anymore.

Enjoy your time on this swamp.

Disabled toilet.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Oooooh…. whom trolled whom? I’m still pondering how you managed to spell ‘they’re’ correctly. Spelling + toilet fetish = Rugby or Charter House.

• Captain Birdseye says:

…. that should have been ‘you’re’.

• Patroller says:

Captain = Idiot.

Enough said.

Disabled toilet.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Oooo…. another little hissy-fit. Don’t you know that people credit others with their own characteristics? You must be a total wanker.

• Patroller says:

You’re full of irrelevant psychobabble, I’ll give you that.

Do you realise that your subpar replies have no impact on me. You also come across as a fool with your every reply.

Try better, monkey boy.

Disabled toilet.

• Captain Birdseye says:

You have just demonstrated every reason to satisfy a diagnosis of narcissistic psychopath…. yawn…. Wherever you go you are declared an idiot, a wanker and an attention-whore, uncreative and totally dependent – except in your own mind.

• Patroller says:

Captain, all I can say to you in my final interaction with you is just fuck off.

Rot away, monkey boy.

Disabled toilet.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Apart from being a liar, hopefully final, Spunkmonkey, as you are award-winningly dull, with the interests and personality of a toddler.

• Mr. Hankey says:

Look at Spunk Monkey’s arse after he entertains the Ugandan army. I suspect Green Monkey Disease (simian AIDS).

• Kekka says:

Not that many kids! Gotta see if I break this one first…

• Captain Birdseye says:

You mean survive, I think, Kekka.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Cap’n B., I am sure that the COFSM Communicants have followed your exchanges with whatshisname with no little interest (and perhaps some fascinated horror) and no little support, knowing as they will your stature and standing. FWIW, I hope you’ll agree that whatshisname actually recognizes the same of you, except that his illness/dysfunction drives him to attack and disparage. Your perseverance admirable, especially since you likely don’t need the experience…too bad he won’t keep his promise and vanish…

• Captain Birdseye says:

AF, I have clients who think ‘differently’. I just don’t get drawn in any more than I would by a Jehovah’s Witness on truth serum.
        Whatsisname gets suspended/banned from sites that one shouldn’t be able to get banned from, such an cuntscorner.com (worth a visit), and so he comes here. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that he trashes little girls’ pony clubs. We must be missing out on something.

• Captain Birdseye says:

AF, all we need to know about whatsisname is that he’s a far right, Catholic evangetroll, who enthusiastically took one for the team as a choirboy. He’s on an evangelical mission from God to redeem his self-loathing (see Mr. Hankey’s candid photo). The FSM shrugs off the forces of evil.

4. Gabriel Gideon says:

We offer all kinds of loan to interested individuals and companies, such as personal management, business management, mortgage fund, Bill Fund, Student management, vehicle management, and much more. Our credit services are well insured and acceptable, so we can have a successful event. Our minimum amount of credit varies from $5000 to $100,000,000. With a minimum duration of 1 year and a maximum duration of 30 years. For more information and application, please contact us now on this

email: [email protected]
    Tell: +91910836249

5. Kekka says:

Yes captain, he’s my first. He’s a cute little nugget. Just wish he’d sleep more but the world is too shiny and new and he’s currently amazed by everything lol. The pirate suit may be a ways off yet; but its coming; have already cleared your rum bottle idea with the other half 😄

6. Captain Birdseye says:

Again, congratulations, Kekka. Remember, that’s only the label off a rum bottle. What about this baby’s costume?

7. Osman Ibrahim says:

Do you need a financial help? Are you in any financial crisis or do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you need funds to settle your debt or pay off your bills or start a good business? Do you have a low credit score and you are finding it hard to obtain capital services from local banks and other financial institutes? Here is your chance to obtain a financial services from our company. We offer the following finance to individuals-
    *Commercial finance