Struggle for Religious Expression in Illinois

Published July 25th, 2016 by Bobby Henderson

illinois

The struggle for Pastafarian acceptance continues, in Illinois. From the Chicago Tribue:

College student Rachel Hoover, of Arlington Heights, went to get her license renewed at the Illinois Secretary of State facility in Schaumburg. She told employees that she wanted to wear a metal colander on her head for the photo in honor of her religious beliefs. Employees balked, but Hoover insisted.

But when the central office discovered that employees had relented and allowed Hoover to be photographed with the strainer on her head, administrators drew the line, even though her face was clearly visible.

They told Hoover her license will be revoked July 29 unless she gets a new, strainer-free photo taken.

State officials are “just trying to use a little common sense,” secretary of state spokesman Dave Druker told Tribune freelance reporter Lee V. Gaines. “It almost looks like Pastafarians are a mockery of religion.”

During a time when people are doing reprehensible things in the Name of Religion, I wonder why officials are hassling us, out of all religious groups. Do these officials prevent people from wearing Yamulkes or Hijabs or Turbans — and if not, is it because they appear to have such earnest beliefs, and Pastafarians do not take themselves so seriously?

If Pastafarians had more scary dogmatic True-Believers, would we encounter less resistance to the privileges other religious groups are granted?

While I don’t agree with the Chicago Tribune’s stance that FSM is a “broad spoof”, I found the article well written and clever — it’s worth the read and can be found here.

441 Responses to “Struggle for Religious Expression in Illinois”

1 13 14 15
  1. Tommy King says:

Obviously this is just intended to make fun of Christianity. Its in very immature and in very poor taste. The sad thing is many of you are bringing up your children this way . Its a sad situation to see people so full of anger towards the very thing that gave them life . Hating God doesnt make your pain any better, it doesnt affect anyones life but your own. Living your life as though you have no accountability doesnt mean you wont be held accountable. Understand if I choose to live my life believing theres a God , what have I lost you turned out to be right ? Nothing at all, I live taking care of people who need my help . I live loving everyone, and celebrating life. If you however live life making fun of God , and not believing and you find out the truth then you spend enternity much different than you expected.

• Keith says:

I daresay most of the regulars on this site are familiar with Pascal’s Wager. It’s nothing more than a childish threat. Which god are you talking about? The Catholic god, the Jewish god, the Muslim god, the Presbyterian god? If you don’t choose to believe in the right one you’ll be joining us.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Tommy, nothing is obvious. Which god? What pain? What anger? What hate? Accountable to whom? Why? Who says so?
      Do you hate the imaginary gods of other religions, such as Saturn, Odin or Ra? Well, no one here hates your imaginary god.
      The best upbringing children can have is one free of priests, dogma and superstition. Religion should be for consenting adults only.

• Mr. Hankey says:

Are you suggesting, Tommy, in order to love and care for people and celebrate life, it is necessary to believe in the Christian god and Hell? Do you even claim that it helps? That’s an immoral existence, based on the fear of punishment and the promise of reward.
        Do you follow all Twenty Commandments, or, did you drop ten of them?

• Captain Birdseye says:

Tommy, continuing on from Eusebius’ well documented lying, “What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church … a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them”. (Martin Luther)
      So, what part of Christian doctrine and dogma is not lies? Repeating a lie also makes that person a liar. What does your Bible say about lying and liars?

• Reams says:

Testimony of a truth of received loan offer ([email protected])

TESTIMONIAL: I received my loan of 75,000 $US with 3% interest without Protocol with the help of Sir Plavec Jožef which my granted this loan and two of my friends also. If you are in need of a loan of money urgent email’s address here: ([email protected]) and you will get your loan in 72 hours because a week ago I then raise me grace she.

2. LOAN says:

URGENT LOAN

We offer flexible loans and funding for various projects.This loan allows client to enjoy payback for as low as % interest We can approve a loan/cash for up to USD 500,000,000.00 or more depending on the amount you want for your business. We are currently funding for: *Business Expansion * Commercial Real Estate project * Personal loan and business loan are open to having a good business relationship with you, please do not hesitate to contact us:

WEBSITE: http://www.indbullsfin.com/index.pyc
    [email protected]
    Contact us on whatspp +447513195409
    Mr Osman Ibrahim

• Reams says:

Testimony of a truth of received loan offer ([email protected])

• Keith says:

Testes money truth fulfilled of loan ([email protected])

Tested menial: I relieved myself of 75,000 $US without being interested with the help of Sir Shameful Shyster which drained my bank account and those of my friends also. If you want to be ripped off go to the above email address. They fleece you in 72 hours.

3. TweetyBird says:

I fully support you colander-wearing. The other religions are just not accepting of you. I am agnostic myself, but I fully support the FSM!

4. Captain Birdseye says:

TweetyBird, if ‘agnostic’ means skeptical, open minded, only persuaded by evidence and potentially unknowable, it seems that you are a scientist.
    It’s the only religion with a 30-day, money-back guarantee and has by far the tastiest deity. What’s not to like?

5. Rasputin says:

Believe in the FSM and also be an agnostic at the same time. Eat pasta, drink beer and get laid. And tell people your God makes you do it. Wot’s not to like?

• Patroller says:

You, obviously you vile creature.

You advocate a depraved and unhealthy lifestyle. You should be ashamed.

• Captain Birdseye says:

The driving force of Evolution is impure! There is more! Self flagellate!

• Excelsior says:

When God made man he gave Adam and Eve the art of immaculate conception. This was no fun so they didn’t have any children until satan gave them to eat of the “Forbidden Fruit” and showed them how to get laid. This was so much fun that they soon populated the whole world!

• Captain Birdseye says:

Excelsior, were Adam and Eve not immortal to begin with and thus didn’t need to reproduce? As such, why would they be made in different sexes?

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Çheer up, Grigorii Yefimov, the troll is feeding YOU! Lol!

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Apologies, no disrespect intended Grigorii Yefimovich, quite the opposite!

6. Rasputin says:

This morning my wife dragged me and our eight-year-old to church. She makes me go on special occasions such as Christmas. Today was special because it’s Remembrance Sunday. It’s the day when Brits wear red paper poppies to remember the fallen servicemen from two world wars and every subsequent conflict. By “British”, we also include Kiwis, Aussies, South Africans and servicemen from dozens of other countries.

Anyway, I was at the Church of England service (equivalent to the USA’s Episcopalean) and the d*ckhead sh*tbag archdeacon gave a prolongued and empty sermon about the state of the world. He made repeated comparisons between Donald Trump and the kind of attitudes which caused the splintering and ethnic cleansing in the former Yugoslavia. I’d like to give a more detailed report but the sermon’s content was vague and waffly and devoid of any useful information.

I’ve got mixed attitudes to Trump, ask me in ten years and I’ll tell you whether he was a good president or not. However, the dislike which the crappy archdeacon was expressing was misplaced and my blood was boiling. I wanted to walk out in disgust, but I had a better idea. The vicar usually shakes hands with the congregation as they leave, so I decided to give him a piece of my mind as I left to the effect of “I’ve heard some bullshit sermons in my time but yours was number one”.

I didn’t get the chance, we all went outside for the solemn two minutes silence and the laying of wreaths.

I don’t want to be told what to think by some holier-than-thou fuckwit who’s wearing a gaudy gown which would make Liberace embarrassed. I’ll make up my own mind, thankyou very much.

The FSM’s stance on Trump is much better: I asked the FSM for guidance and He replied, “Yeah, no, whatever, show me your tits or your bum I don’t care which and pass me a beer”. Which is wiser than anything that douchebag archdeacon said.

If I had ten minutes in front of a congregation, I’d give them something more substantive and relevant.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Grigorii Yefimovich, It is interesting to know that Trump excites reaction elsewhere in the world… Floating to the left, I think the divisiveness he exploits is bad, and also that the US (all parties) is at a crisis state. But your communion with the FSM shows a man of the Church!!!!

• Captain Birdseye says:

Rasputin, many churches encourage ‘visiting preachers’. May I suggest that you offer a sermon as such. Constrain brimstone, but, research, compose and test beforehand.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Cap’n B., Another viable alternative for Rasputin would be a position as religious counsellor to the Czar and Czarina – their kids have worse problems than hemophilia…..

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Rasputin, as an American I have mixed attitudes to Trump, too. On one hand, I think he’s an clueless, unbalanced ego maniac who’s a danger to the entire world, while on the other hand I think he’s a classless pathologically lying con man.

• Captain Birdseye says:

tFtPtM, I suspect that Trump is all of those. When his presidency ends, he will be lauded for owning substantial real estate in every country in the World.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Captain, he has the attention span of an autistic 3 year old, so he has lauded himself already.

7. Rasputin says:

Hahahahaha! It’s a good job I didn’t tell the archdeacon what I thought of him. My wife would have been ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS. When we cuddled in bed, she thanked me for not confronting the bloke. I guess next time it’s safer if I just walk out. I don’t want to go “full Oliver Cromwell” against the church. Look where that ended.
    (If you’re stateside and you don’t know who Oliver Cromwell was, find him via Google.)
    Perhaps going home and drinking a beer is safer.

• Keith says:

Yes, Cromwell was a bit of a lad, wasn’t he? On the day he died there was supposed to have been a violent storm. It was said to have been caused by Old Nick in a desperate hurry to complete the bargain he was supposed to have made at the battle of Worcester. (To you American chaps, that’s pronounced “Wooster”).

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Keith, Rasputin, thanks for your Cromwell hints; it was *fascinating* to read about the history of Cromwell’s head after his posthumous execution….

8. Captain Birdseye says:

AF, the British did things properly in those days! ‘Merkins have lessons to learn! ;)

• Keith says:

Yes: Firing a matchlock is much more fun than firing a percussion cap.

1 13 14 15