Oklahoma Ten Commandments Monument Has Been Ordered Removed — Victory

Published June 30th, 2015 by Bobby Henderson

zerocommandments

Good news everybody, the Oklahoma Supreme Court ordered the Ten Commandments monument must be removed from the state Capitol, saying it violates the Constitution, which bans using public property for the benefit of religion.

This Politico article goes into it in more detail:

Before the statue was installed in 2012 as a gift from Republican state lawmaker Mike Ritze and his family, legislators argued that it was not religious, but historic. Additionally, the U.S. Supreme Court found that a similar monument in Texas did not violate the establishment clause because it was intended to convey a historic and social meaning and did not constitute a religious endorsement.

The 6-foot-tall monument’s installation prompted other groups, from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster to Satanists, to try to get permission to build their own monuments on the grounds of the state Capitol to mark what they also characterize as historical events.

Big thanks to all the Pastafarians in Oklahoma pushing for equality and the ACLU for doing the tedious work of fighting this case in court.

And the Satanists did a tremendous job of bringing attention to this issue, not to mention that their monument was a work of art:

Capture

The statue features the seven-foot tall, horned figure of Baphomet fawned upon by two exultant children. The statue is a symbol to “celebrate our progress as a pluralistic nation founded on secular law.”

I’m sure it won’t be long before this stuff is in the courts again:

Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt vowed to file a petition for a rehearing, saying that “the court completely ignored the profound historical impact of the Ten Commandments on the foundation of Western law,” according to local reports.

It’s too bad that these guys are so bent on pushing religion. I feel like there must be something more beneficial to the public they could be spending their time on.

But for today, I feel like we are making progress.

361 Responses to “Oklahoma Ten Commandments Monument Has Been Ordered Removed — Victory”

1. Jesus S Aaron Uni Peg UNIX Eisus says:

The term ‘institution’ eludes precise definition, and its interpretation
    [in-tur-pri-tey-shuh n]
    the act of interpreting;elucidation; explication:

A paradox is a statement that apparently contradicts itself and yet might be true (or wrong at the same time)

demand
    [dih-mand, -mahnd]

to ask for with proper authority;claim as a right.

There is a prophecy on this planet, that says a great spiritual leader will come.

A teacher of Men. The one that points the way and shortens the journey.

My body is covered with what look like scars, but they are religious markings.
    Plain as day, just like a tattoo.

I am KIN to the KEY-TABOO-sacred, from the House of Payne in which God dwells.

I have the Wrath of God upon my knee, but my wrath will have heart; look and see.

I have SAP on My back from the cross I was crucified upon and the “WORD OF GOD” upon my side.

I carry Buddha on back so that you will follow Me back to God, because He led you astray.

Shiva rides on my calf, because God cut off his feet so that he may never put his feet down unless I do first.

The cow is not holy, but the calf of Jesus Christ upon which the destroyer clings
    is.

Let there be no confusion for God hung Confucius upon my chin. Be like Water.

Allah a leech; a clot in my foot.

I have one nation under seven seas across my heart.

I will unite the world as one Nation under seven seas/ 7 C’.

Links in the chain for each year I served in the USN.

I have the fear of God is the beginning I love in My right hand and the end of hate in my left.

I am a very rare bird indeed, that is why God put wings on me.

I am a true Prophet. NOT a nonprofit for profit prophet.

• The Sauceror says:

Jesus, you’ve been sipping on the sacrament a little bit too much again, haven’t you? So, what are you babbling on about this time? Get yourself a little cookie, calm down, and maybe you can explain what the hail you’re talking about.

2. Saint Gnocchi says:

Dear Jesus, So, you’re back! The Christians have been saying for a long time now that you Would Return. I will let them know that “He has returned, but this time ’round, He’s really pissed off with you guys.”

• Rasputin says:

Jesus, I don’t know what you’ve been ingesting but it’s certainly given you visions.

• Alphy says:

I recently had a woman tell me “God is returning and man is she pissed!”

• Rasputin says:

I don’t knopw about in the USA, but here in the UK the term “pissed” can mean:
        a) Urinated,
        b) Angry,
        c) Drunk.
        Perhaps “God” is indeed the FSM and he’s drunk. Makes perfect sense.

3. Rasputin says:

Dearly Beloved, go to YouTube and search for, “Adrian Edmondson & John Cleese The Last Supper”. It’s about great renaissance paintings having too many kangaroos.

4. Alphy says:

Cyclops,

Your time might be better spent by joining the Flat Earth Society, teaching numerology, phrenology, creation ‘science’ or some other useless nonsense instead of wasting your time here trying to convert pastafarians.

5. Excelsior says:

We won! The “ten commandments” has been given the “bums rush” out of the Oklahoma Capitol grounds! Ramen! Pass the rum and beer around and lets all get drunk!
    The first half of the “ten commandments” are orders to worship the God of Abraham and are a flagrant contradiction to the Bill of Rights which grants us freedom of religion! In the US no religion is allowed to force itself on anyone! We don’t “force” anyone to worship the FSM, we just “invite” you to come and have fun with us!
    Ramen!

• The Sauceror says:

Yay! Yay! Yay! Congratulations to us! Even though the ACLU and The Satanic Temple did most of the work, we should definitely pirate all the credit. Beer and pasta for everyone, and since we are an open, inclusive religion, that includes the fundies too. Everyone should celebrate our great achievement. Kim Davis got so drunk on the Kool Aid, maybe it’s time she got drunk on beer. Onward to Arkansas. Ramen, pasta, and beer.

6. Excelsior says:

According to Fox News it was taken down secretely last night so we couldn’t have a victory celebration on site!

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Excelsior, I’m guessing that they were more concerned about the “peaceful Christians” committing acts of violence against them than they were about the “evil Satanists” doing nothing.

7. Rev. Chamberlain says:

Ten Commandments monument removed from Oklahoma Capital:

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Rev., thanks for the post. The removal of such an offensive idol happened none too soon. It’s only fitting that the monument was placed (quite likely at taxpayers’ expense) on the property of the Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs, a hate group dedicated to the destruction of democracy, and the establishment of an Iranian-style theocratic dictatorship– with the governor of Oklahoma as Ayatollah, of course. Ramen.

• Keith says:

I’d like to know how Mary Fallin can claim it as historical, since it has only been there for three years and there is no way in the world that the ten commandments can be proven to have an historical basis.

• Rasputin says:

Yes Keith, she’s probably got older sweat stains around her buttocks.
        I know I have.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

I’d also like to know why she thinks a state amendment can supersede the federal law.
        These Republicans drive me crazy. They run on the basis of their super-Christianity, hoping no one notices their lousy governance.

• The Sauceror says:

Remember– we’re talking about a party which thinks that life begins at conception and ends at birth.

8. Excelsior says:

The so-called “Ten Commandments” Are actually commandments to worship only the God of Abraham and keep his “Sabbath” holy! It directly contradicts the freedom of religion granted by the Bill of Rights in the Constitution. Therefore it is un-Constitutional, un-American, and a relic from the bronze-age! We must be vigilant to see what those saboteurs of our freedom are up to! We can’t let them get away wth undermining our human rights that we struggled for centuries to attain! They are now gnashing their teeth at FSM and are planning some new evils to destroy us, the ACLU and the Satanic Temple! AAAAaaaahhhhhrrrggg–Ramen!

• The Sauceror says:

Yeah, we really have to watch out for those who serve the “Prince of Peace”. They are as nasty and violent as any other terrorist organization.

• Rasputin says:

Excelsior, you’ve expressed the constitutional problem very succinctly. Sauceror, let’s celebrate the “Prince of Pasta”, not because He’s forcing us but because we want to.