Certificates of Ordination now available

Published August 22nd, 2011 by Bobby Henderson


The paper Certificates of ordination are ready.  If you’d like one,  you can order one here.  Updated — The cost is $20 shipped to the US and $30 shipped international.

Note — the certificates have been updated to use a nicer lithograph paper. The price is now $25, for both Domestic and International orders, shipping included. We also now have ID Cards.

51 Responses to “Certificates of Ordination now available”

1 2 3 4
  1. Marf says:


    Is there anywhere on venganza.org that lays out guidelines to perform marriages? I’d prefer if it didn’t require full pirate regalia, perhaps just an eyepatch? What’s the bare minimum that legally has to be said in a wedding ceremony?

    Are you keeping record so it can be verified by state officials, if necessary? I think Nevada has some sort of verification requirement, for example.

  2. Lo Zeno says:

    For those of us who bought the original certificate of ordination on glass, would it be possible to order paper copies of the certificate with the same Registry number? So that, for example, a paper copy could be used when asking wedding licences and the glass copy hanged up on the office’s wall?

    • bruceo says:

      I second this suggestion! I’d order a paper copy if the numbers (and hopefully also the date) were the same.

    • Bobby Henderson says:

      Yes I’m happy to send paper copies for anyone who has bought the glass ones. Send me an email and I’ll make it happen.

  3. Adrian D. says:

    It would quite help if you posted the strictly legal information about this, such as any restrictions on age, whether these are legal documents or “novelties,” and what further action must be taken after purchase to legally preform a marridge.

    • Bobby Henderson says:

      Good idea. It varies from state to state, county to county. I’ll see if I can find a good resource for the rules/regulations across the country (/world, if possible). FSM ministers have ran into eye-rolling but have not ever been outright denied a license to perform weddings. But of course we’re waiting for that to happen and there will be a response. In a few cases they’ve asked for a “letter of good standing” from the church but whatever they ask we can provide. It should be smooth sailing. The main point is that with these certificates we’re saying the CFSM is a legitimate religious organization and we’re putting it on them to say the Church of FSM is not, if they choose.

      • stylusmobilus says:

        I have had a brief look at the Federal Marriages Act in Australia, and it looks as if you would need to register as a Marriage Celebrant first. There is also some crossover in regards to the State legislations as well. It’s beginning to look as if it will be a very complicated process, and in fact may not be possible at all. A ‘suitability clause’ in regards to whether officialdom considers your church as ‘legitimate’ or you as a ‘responsible person’ to conduct marriages exists. More research is required, in the respect that I will probably have to make some phone calls. Bottom line seems to be for Aussies, it may not be doable legally unless the church has recognition as such, or the person themselves do the course for Marriage Celebrant. Unlike the US I don’t think a letter of good standing will cut the mustard in this over regulated country.

        Still, I haven’t been prevented from ordering my certificate. I’ll see what I can do about that on Friday.

        • Keith says:

          Australia is a country where on the programming list of one TV station “Hillsong”, “It is written” , “Hour of Power” and other religious programmes are listed as “education”, whereas children’s educational programmes such as “Totally Wild” and “Scope” are simply listed as “children” or “show”. Just goes to show what mindless jerks exist in the channel 10 programming dept.

        • Jolly Roger Jeff says:

          We need to find out exactly how many of us there are in Australia and where we are situated. We need twelve congregations at least spread around the country. See below for more confusing detail. There are roughly 100 obscure christian “churches” listed a Recognised Denominations. I’m happy to list my congregation as being situated around Coffs Harbour/Bellingen. I reckon I could scrape together at least half a dozen adherents at the moment. If I had a recruiting drive at the local Uni, I think I could drum up a few more.

  4. lexington82 says:

    This site had good info on marraige requirements in the US. http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/officiants_requirements/index.shtml

  5. Bill Schell says:

    In Arkansas, you go to the county court house and register as a minister/priest. When I did it almost 10 years ago now, all I had to show them was my certificate of ordination. They mailed me my official Minister’s Credentials signed by the County Clerk and Registar.

  6. Jolly Roger Jeff says:

    Below I’ve listed the requirements of the Australian Government to have a religion listed as a Recognised Denomination. I’d be happy to set up a congregation where I live and I have a venue that’s agreed to hold “services” (it has three excellent beers on tap and even lists Ramen noodles on its menu). Australian FSM followers need to get organised. How many of us are there? Where are we? C’mon Aussies, we can do it.

    “Applications by religious organisations seeking to be proclaimed as recognised denomination under section 26 of the Act are assessed against the following criteria:
    the organisation should be independent of any other religious body or organisation;
    a central authority should exist for the nomination of ministers of religion as marriage Celebrants and to attend to other administrative functions associated with the Marriage Act 1961;
    there should normally be at least twelve congregations in different localities within Australia, each of which need the services of a marriage celebrant; and
    there should be evidence that an organisation has been established for a minimum of three years, with prospects of continuing existence.”

  7. Dude says:

    Is it still possible to order the glass ones?

  8. Danny says:

    Should we address Pastafarian Ministers as “Captain”?

    • wulff says:

      I second that!

      • Marc says:

        “Ship captains are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in New York State.” according to the link above. Religious persecution rears it’s ugly head again!

1 2 3 4

Leave a Reply