1,591 Comments

We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity

Published August 12th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

While life should not be taken too seriously, this doesn’t mean we should live with absolute frivolity. Yes, so-called religions attempt to mandate all sorts of opinions and behaviors about morality and social conformity. This does not mean that actual religion — the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable — is inherently stupid or necessarily bullshit.

Quantum mechanics tells us that all possibilities exist simultaneously until foreclosed by inconsistent observations. So, with regard to what we truly cannot know or observe, it’s possible that all beliefs are equally "true" and very much real. It’s an incredibly powerful thought: that we can design our own eternity simply by imagining it.

Personally, I’d want much more from my eternity than to party on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers. The ability to have that experience at any time and for any duration? Sure, that would be great. But plain old life has plenty to offer that’s much more sublime and extraordinary than simple hedonism. And it’s not even a very ambitious vision of hedonism.

World history is replete with terrible evils committed in the name of "religion." Certainly, it’s an important message that moral and social "values" should not be elevated to the level of religious beliefs. But our ability as humans to recognize the fundamental unknowable questions — where are we from, why are we here, and where are we going — creates a fundamental human need to discuss and confront these questions.

Pastafarianism does indeed celebrate the power of the individual to choose his or her own answers to these questions. Some might like the idea of choosing answers that are deliberately silly or absurd. But to do so simply to make a point about the beliefs of others is to degrade and dishonor one’s own spirit.

-Tom

1,591 Responses to “We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity”

1. Bane says:

Hankey, you follow the false FSM. You’re crazy.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Bane, you follow the Whore of Babylon. You’re crazy.

• Patroller says:

The Captain resorts to rather silly responses. Disabled toilet.

• Captain Birdseye says:

But…. but… it was an exact reflection of your claim….? Projection, anyone?
          Surely, you can’t be suggesting superiority of belief? Surely, the Eastern Orthodox fantasy is the correct one?

2. patroller says:

Just feel sorry for the Capain.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Quod erat demonstradum.

• Patroller says:

The Captain thinks he’s clever. Cretin. Lol…

• Mr. Hankey says:

The Captain demonstrates cleverness, whereas, Patroller does not.

• patroller says:

Hankey is simply an idiot. Lol…

• Mr. Hankey says:

‘Police Raid Drug-fuelled Gay Orgy in Vatican’. At least it wasn’t paedophillic as well.
          As a devout Catholic, Patroller, can you talk me through what’s going on here?

• Mr. Hankey says:

…. I love the way the angels have been positioned to lend pious somemnity.

• Patroller says:

I’m not Catholic, you fucking fool.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

That reminds me of a joke about urinals…..

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Two guys are chatting in front of their secretaries. One says to the other: “I hear the Pope is keeping the College of Cardinals on their toes!” “Yeah? – How is that???” “He had all the urinals in the Vatican moved upward 8 inches!” They laugh like hell and go off to lunch. Then, one secretary says to the other: “You know, I didn’t get that…” And the other says: “Neither did I, but then, I’m not Catholic…”

• patroller says:

Let’s be kind and say that Fred is a bit perverted.

Disabled toilet.

• Mr. Hankey says:

That’s Mr. Hankey to you, Patroller.
          None the less, as a psychopathic bigot, are you unable to offer any suggestions as to what the Pope is doing? The best I can make of sucking baby Jesus’s dick, is to taste his blood, to glorify his genital mutilation and to feel Godly.
          Are you Godly, Patroller? Disabled Toilet.

• Mr. Hankey says:

…. maybe this is more amusing to you, Patroller.

• Mr. Hankey says:

AF, based on your information, my hypothesis is that Vatican choir boys will have evolved to be three and a half inches taller than the control group. In contrast, Patroller is four inches shorter.

• Patroller says:

Hankey, I’ll share the same advice already offered to the Captain.

Get help and overcome your issues. You’re clearly sick.

Disabled toilet.

• Mr. Hankey says:

I’ll take that as an endorsement then, Paedtroller…. Howdy Ho!

• Patroller says:

Watch out evil-doers, Hankey is on the prowl..

Disabled toilet.

3. patroller says:

Goodbye to the cesspit that is the FSM.

Disabled toilet.

I won’t be back. Fuck off.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

AWWwwcwww! If only that were true….

• Mr. Hankey says:

Why does he bother telling us? Does he expect pleas to stay? He just doesn’t contribute anything of value.

• Keith says:

Liar: Insecure trolls like you always come back. You crave attention.

• Appren6tice Frederic says:

Keith,
        I think that crafting an accurate epithet for wharsisname is too much feeding; I swear to stop…..

• Keith says:

Normally I don’t reply to such goadings. Sometimes the temptation is too great.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

The “temptation trollop” eh??? LOL

• Captain Birdseye says:

Do you mean like the temptation of a gay Lilith?

4. Alan says:

I can’t play a harp…. I’ve no head for heights. Sitting on a cloud with a harp for company is not my idea of heaven. Partying on a pirate ship with beer and strippers sounds more appealing. I may need a few days off now and then, but apart from that I don’t see the standard Christian faith system version as more attractive. Also your regular Christian type (or other mainstream faiths) faith systems all suffer from the violent fringe elements of central downright boring content. Many of the critical/hate mail scribes sound like a thoroughly nasty lot. I don’t know about you, but eternity would be a very long time spent with these people.

• Keith says:

I wonder if you are given lessons before taking up the harp, or is Heaven a constant cacophony? Since one is supposed to constantly praise the Abrahamic god, is it done at the same time as harp playing, or is the harping only done during lunch break?

• Rasputin says:

I don’t want to go to Christian heaven unless I can watch strippers, drink beer and eat pasta.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Poor Christians. I believe The FSM plays the ukulele, but only when drunk.

5. Rasputin says:

Two days to go and I’ve got to attend church on Christmas morning with my wife. That’s OK, I can sing sacriligious lyrics to all the carols.
    If you want to find something amusing, go to YouTube and search for “Mr. Bean nativity”.

• Keith says:

Did you sing “While Shepherds wash their Socks by Night”, or “Silent Shite, Holey Shite”, or “We Three Kings from London Square, Selling knickers Penny a Pair”?

• Excelsior says:

Keith,
        How about “Oh come let us ignore him–“

• Captain Birdseye says:

… ‘abhor’ may blend in better.

6. Excelsior says:

Pope Francis just ruined Christmas for me. He presided over the last rights for the “Harvey Weinstein of the Catholic Church”, the Archbishop of Boston, Cardinal Law!! He’s the one who did the cover-up for all those pedophile priests that raped thousands of children! Just as he was to be arrested he escaped to the Vatican where Pope Francis protected him! He will get his punishment by going to heaven where they have no sex. The only activity in Heaven is singing hossannahs 24/7/52!
    When God and his sons (Nephilim) wanted to have sex they had to come down to Earth to find a virgin!

• Keith says:

Which is why Jesus was not born in Australia.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Perhaps, Excelsior, having the baby Jesus snatched from the Pope’s Nativity display, is just the start of divine retribution.

• Excelsior says:

The Virgin Mary was raped by God when she was 12. Yes it was rape, because sex with a girl younger than 14 is considered a rape in most countries regardless of whether the girl consents to or not! (This does not include those countries that run on Shariah Law, Because Mohammed married Aisha when she was 6!) This means that Jesus was a bastard and the child of a rape! However, Jesus and Mary are innocent and I feel sorry for them. It’s God who is the culprit and should be punished!

• Captain Birdseye says:

Excelsior, whatever the age of consent, there was no consent. I suspect that sex with ghosts was a capital offence.

7. Excelsior says:

Merry ChriFSMas, Happy Holidays, Merry Yuletide, Happy Hanukkah, etc.

• Keith says:

And the same to you, Excelsior!

8. Rev. Chamberlain says:

MERRY CHRIST[doesn’t exist]MAS my carbo-loving friends. Wishing you happiness and prosperity in the New Year.

• Keith says:

Ditto, Rev. Chamberlain!

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

All this “Christmas” stuff is just part of the War on Saturnalia!

• Excelsior says:

I think that Christmas is a war on Yule-tide and Hanukkah also! However, Santa Claus is the planted agent. When Jesus has been long forgotten then Santa Claus takes over! I estimate that “Jesus” will die out in a Century or so. But Santa Claus will live on forever in the hearts of children! We Pastafarians have a historical mission to convert Santa Claus to our Church!
        FSM Ramen!

• Captain Birdseye says:

I’m confused; I thought that the religious meaning of the word ‘Mass’ was a bloody sacrifice; thus, Christ-mas(s) should really be ‘Good’ Friday.
          Perhaps Christians are celebrating the selection of their impending torture victim, as many barbaric religions did.