21963 Views

Polk County, part 2.

Published December 12th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

It looks like the Polk County School Board has noticed us. Or at least the local newspaper.

The Ledger has published an article about our movement titled “Satirical Monsters More Competition for Darwin”.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster has stretched its noodles to Polk County.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster, or FSM, is a satirical group that pokes fun at intelligent design. It first emerged in 2005 during the debate in Kansas over whether the belief should be taught in science classes.

The group has sent dozens of e-mails to Polk County School Board members demanding that the idea of a Flying Spaghetti Monster creating the world receive classroom equal time with other views. The e-mail campaign began after four of seven board members said in November that they supported teaching intelligent design in addition to evolution.

I don’t like it when they refer to our beliefs as being “satirical”, but if that’s the context they have to use to get the story out, then so be it.

So it looks like our campaign is working. Well done.

Here’s the article.

66 Responses to “Polk County, part 2.”

1. rmw says:

@Niteshade–Focus and Blackwater? Thought I heard something to that effect. Wouldn’t surprise me. I do plan on emailing them, but in light of the shootings that took place at New Life Church, and Focus’s connection, I’m waiting. I seriously doubt my letter would be read right now, and I don’t honestly don’t want to seem disrespectful. (Fundies annoy me, and in some extreme cases, scare me, but I still thought the shootings in Arvada, CO and here in Colorado Springs was horrific. I just want these people off their moral high horse, I certainly don’t want them dead.)
    @DPG and Starbuckaneer–I must join in and voice my complaint (again, I know) about moderation. IMO, there is a moderated forum that is free and easy to join. I’m all for the free flow of good discussions and mindless chatter.

2. SandyHook says:

I have now emailed the good folks in Polk county several times. So far no response. The local paper, “The Ledger” has a site where there is a 35 page thread arguing about ID and science. I put in some FSM stuff.

3. Alchemist says:

Hi Mike Meier – I’ll assume my last reply just got lost and wasn’t moderated out! Seeing as though it wasn’t hate speech – well, let’s hope it was accidental.
    The coherency of the posts here does a lot to make this site more meaningful to the regulars and to new people.
    Which regulars are you speaking for Mike? The ones that post now, whoever they are, or the ones we’d know as regulars? The ones that have posted here for ages but have all gone away now?
    The ones who could hold a debate, go off on a tangent but still get to the point. Those of us with more than one interest?
    Oh – you mean it’s a lot better without the people that could make you think?
    NOTE: The last message I sent in reply to mike had “awaiting moderation” on it for just under two hours. Then it disappeared – poof!
    This one’s about the same. So sorry if both crop up and I’ve copied them if neither do :D

4. ۞ says:

Polk county have been backward ever since their famous adot went out of fashion!

5. storm petrel says:

@ Mike Meier, you suggested using the forums to make new topics, and then go off topic, please correct me if I misunderstood, but that’s how it came across, I would have looked at the forums as the place to stay ON topic, not have silly, random, tangential conversations.
    You’re right about there being plenty of nonsense between useful information in many of the threads pre-mod, but when a serious debate broke out, the silliness was generally kept to a minimum, now, because of the lag, you can get multiple people posting pretty much the same thing over and over again, there’s just as much skipping over repitition as there ever was skipping over random silliness.
    @ DPG, my thoughts re mod exactly, end it last week and put up all the posts that have mysteriously diseappeared.

6. Alchemist says:

Hi storm petrel.
    I remember the J days well – that was when the scroll wheel rule was born :D
    I’d try to post something about the topic but I’m afraid I’ll be moderated.
    No point me spending twenty minutes composing a brilliant post if I think someone we don’t know decides what is ok and what isn’t!

7. Alchemist says:

The brilliant bit was a joke btw – wonder if this post is censored so as to distort the meaning of my previous?

8. Elaygee says:

HERE’S MY EMAIL TO THE POLK COUNTY SCHOOLBOARD

Dear Frank and Brenda,

Needless to say, you have our sympathies. It cannot be easy to be associated with Luddites who make Polk county a laughingstock. Even schoolboards in Africa and Central Asia, where the teachers still get get paid in livestock, have passed on this Intelligent Design nonsense.

Maybe the good folks of Polk County would like their children to be behind the educational standards of even third world countries. Perhaps life as a Super 8 chambermaid or Winn Dixie cashier is their lofty goal for their children.

Please continue to refute this nonsense. ID has no place in science. Over one billion Hindus believe the world is carried on the shell of a giant turtle and that Ganesh the elephant headed god brings good fortune to his followers. Let 20 Hindu children move to Polk County and see if they start teaching that in science class. I doubt it.