19957 Views

Polk County, part 2.

Published December 12th, 2007 by Bobby Henderson

It looks like the Polk County School Board has noticed us. Or at least the local newspaper.

The Ledger has published an article about our movement titled “Satirical Monsters More Competition for Darwin”.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster has stretched its noodles to Polk County.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster, or FSM, is a satirical group that pokes fun at intelligent design. It first emerged in 2005 during the debate in Kansas over whether the belief should be taught in science classes.

The group has sent dozens of e-mails to Polk County School Board members demanding that the idea of a Flying Spaghetti Monster creating the world receive classroom equal time with other views. The e-mail campaign began after four of seven board members said in November that they supported teaching intelligent design in addition to evolution.

I don’t like it when they refer to our beliefs as being “satirical”, but if that’s the context they have to use to get the story out, then so be it.

So it looks like our campaign is working. Well done.

Here’s the article.

66 Responses to “Polk County, part 2.”

1. Pirate Saul of Tarsus says:

I say we contact the reporter:

[ John Chambliss can be reached at [email protected] or 863-802-7588. ]

Let’s get the word out to the people of Polk County. If they believe in ID then the truth about our Carbo Master will definitely spread to them.

RAmen

2. B☠☠ty says:

Nice one Petey the Pirate :)
    I very rarely come and visit now as the moderation has just killed the excitement IMHO :(
    Please stop it Bobby!

3. Mike Meier says:

I like the moderation, except that it is too slow. The chatter here was ruining. Often you had to skip through 10 posts or more to get back to where something useful was being said. The coherency of the posts here does a lot to make this site more meaningful to the regulars and to new people. There is an excellent forum attached to this site were we could create new topics and go off-topic on the topics we created if we want to. May I suggest when you get to urge, just leave a note here in a post (that will pass moderation) to point people to your forum thread.

4. ☠DutchPastaGuy☠ says:

@Starbuckaneer
    “If anyone is local (Florida…) I am STILL seriously considering attending a board meeting in Pirate Regalia to distribute Propaganda materials… if anyone would care to join me….”
    One of the former FSM disciples lives in Orlando, Florida. No idea how far that is from Polk county.
    And you may want to join the FSM disciples too. Drop me an email if interested in contact info for the FSM disciple or joining the group, [email protected].

5. ☠DutchPastaGuy☠ says:

@Mike Meier
    Appreciate the extensive effort to write the Polk county folks. Same for Henerobby? and others who wrote.
    @Karen
    Welcome to your new spiritual home. Hang around, post some more if you like (should get more lively once moderating of posts is done away with). And thanks for the Pastafarian vote on the BBC blog.

6. El Peatieablo says:

@Gryph
    I was waiting to see who’s letter they used. Congrats! :)
    @storm petrel
    Who needs topics anyway (especially when there are fundies afoot)?
    @☠DutchPastaGuy☠
    “What do want? An end to moderation!
    When do we want it? LAST WEEK!”
    I’d actually settle for sometime this week, but the rest of your post seems to represent my view entirely.
    @ everybody that is a fan of FDR
    “The only thing we have to moderate is moderation itself!”

7. Starbuckaneer says:

Yeah, I’m not felling the moderation thing at all… I have to post… and then I don’t check back at the site until the next day. There’s nothing for me to do while I’m working anymore!!! (Aside from… dare I say it… WORK?!?!?!)

8. Mike Meier says:

I’ve started a thread on the forum for the discussion of moderation. It includes a poll.