More proof of the FSM: Metabolic pathways

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

More proof of the FSM: Metabolic pathways

Postby daniel on Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:22 pm

In his 36-hour lecture series titled Biology: The Science of Life for The Teaching Company (teach12.com), Professor Stephen Nowicki discusses metabolic pathways at some length. All living cells are made up of chemical compounds, and these compounds are connected by the metabolic pathways that create them, decompose them, and in which they participate in some other manner. Many of these connections are not merely linear, but they branch out and merge in amazing complexity. Professor Nowicki says that the compounds of greatest interest to us can be thought of as stations on a subway, and the principal metabolic pathways connecting them are like the rail lines that link subway stations.

But in fact there are some incomprehensible number of compounds in all, and they are all linked together, so that if you picture all the pathways, it would be more like in Professor Nowicky's own words a giant bowl of spaghetti!!!

And there you have it: straight from the mouth of one of this country's finest biology teachers, for all intents and purposes, a declaration that science has as good as proved that life must have been created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, because who else would have so unambiguously likened the most fundamental living processes to spaghetti?

My apologies if this has already been pointed out elsewhere. I have commented before on the spaghetti nature of proteins, and of the double-helix of DNA. But this is on a more conceptual level, for we are speaking not of the physical shape of the matter that makes up our bodies, but rather of the abstract nature of the interrelatedness of all our chemical components.

If I don't win the Nobel Prize for this insight, there is no justice in Stockholm. (Unless, perhaps, someone else has published this idea before me.)
Daniel

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal."
-- Emma Goldman
daniel
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby arkady on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:56 pm

http://www.colby.edu/chemistry/BC368/metabolism.jpg

And here's the diagrammatic proof (hope the link works)

As an aside, googling 'metabolism' also came up with an ID website using such an image as proof of irreducible complexity. I prefer noodles :wink:
"Ankh-Morpork people, said the Guild, were hearty, no-nonsense folk who actually preferred chocolate made mostly from milk, sugar, suet, hooves, lips, miscellaneous squeezings, rat droppings, plaster, flies, tallow, bits of tree, hair lint, spiders and powdered cocoa husks. This meant that according to the food standards of Borogravia and Quirm, Ankh-Morpork chocolate was formally classed as 'cheese', and only escaped, through being the wrong colour, being defined as 'tile grout'."
arkady
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby concept on Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:27 pm

Wouldn't that be irreducible noodlexity (nude-lex-ity)?

Edit: this gave me an idea for a new shirt. See it in the The Cause forum. http://www.venganza.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5742
- concept
concept
Ziti Zealot

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:06 pm

The Old Testament suggests that God made man in his own image, but this theory suggests that all cellular organisms, including humans, have the FSM's image as a template.

How many humans, let alone any other organism, do you know of that look like an old, long bearded, white guy?
How many elements of nature, including the elements that make up humans, do you know of that look like a bowl of spaghetti?

The evidence seems conclusive to me.
Hail to His Noodly Appendages!

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Conclusive Evidence
:worship: :fsm:
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby The Meromorph on Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:18 pm

Taking a metaphor from the programming profession, 'Spaghetti' code is normal generated by a 'natural' iterative process of repeated small changes over a long period of development. Well structured code is clear evidence of an intelligent design, though spaghetti code can result from an exceedingly poor designer.

I don't propose these thoughts as 'proof' of anything, merely note the consistency of the metaphoric conclusions with many independent arguments that have been presented against the actual existence of ID in Life on earth.
Laughing in the rain.
Dancing in the desert sand,
Somersaults through life.
The Meromorph
Sweet Moderation

Location: Sailing away to Vindravan, eating my tears with laughter.

Postby dutch convert on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:23 am

The Meromorph wrote:Taking a metaphor from the programming profession, 'Spaghetti' code is normal generated by a 'natural' iterative process of repeated small changes over a long period of development. Well structured code is clear evidence of an intelligent design, though spaghetti code can result from an exceedingly poor designer.

I don't propose these thoughts as 'proof' of anything, merely note the consistency of the metaphoric conclusions with many independent arguments that have been presented against the actual existence of ID in Life on earth.

That's why discussions about ID go sour. People that defend the theory cannot see the difference between "reading/comprehension" and "translation". Yesterday I finally got someone to stop his arrrrrrrgumentations that brought up virtual reality to try proving of existence of intelligent design. I told him that what he was proposing was like saying that an online translation tool was intelligent from his point of view.
dutch convert
Ziti Zealot

Postby Aeger on Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:29 am

The Old Testament suggests that God made man in his own image, but this theory suggests that all cellular organisms, including humans, have the FSM's image as a template.

Actually, the Gospel of the FSM clearly states that we humans are created in His ideal image, that of a pirate. It also tells us that, if the lack of Pirates in the world continues, there very well may be a day when people do look like giant bowls of spagetti, instead of lean, fit swashbuckling Pirates.

Although lacking any form of Dogma and firmly embracing very flimsy moral standards, I am perfectly willing to accept another theory.
I am anti-"txt talk." I support good grammar. I am part of the "Save the Vowels" movement. For your sanity and mind, type out your damn words.

Thank you
Aeger
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:40 am

Aeger wrote:...there very well may be a day when people do look like giant bowls of spagetti, instead of lean, fit swashbuckling Pirates.
Although lacking any form of Dogma and firmly embracing very flimsy moral standards, I am perfectly willing to accept another theory.

How about Mojo Nixon's?
"We're all moving in perfect peace and harmony toward that one Elvis likeness. Why do you think they call it evolution anyway? It's really ELVISlution! ELVISLUTION!!"

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Topic Drift
:worship: :fsm:
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Return to All Things FSM