Legitimate Religion

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Legitimate Religion

Postby NeferKa on Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:49 am

I registered at http://beliefnet.com/ in order to suggest this website. Has anyone else tried this yet? They have everything from Baha'i to Zoroastrianism, but no Pastafarianism. Perhaps if more people suggested FSM to the site, they’d accept it as a legitimate religion.

I also found this link: http://www.tylwythteg.com/association/assoc8.html It’s for registering Wiccan covens, but perhaps the information could be helpful in getting FSM legally recognized.

Also, check out the IRS site about tax-exemption for religious organizations: http://www.irs.gov/charities/churches/index.html
NeferKa
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby paulcounter on Wed May 17, 2006 11:28 am

During the last UK population census (they do one every five years- next due 2010 I think) sheer weight of numbers forced "Jedi" onto the list as an official religion. We've got 4 years left to get enough numbers together in the UK to make Pastafarianism official. Get recruiting.
paulcounter
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Wed May 17, 2006 11:37 am

http://www.snopes.com/religion/jedi.htm

I've seen this so many times I had to check.

I also just did my Canadian census forms.... Canada doesn't want to know what religion you are. I find this pretty representative; I don't really know the faith of many of my friends.

Paul, pop over to the New Convert Thread in the area with the big red START HERE and say hello!
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Alpaca on Wed May 17, 2006 10:15 pm

Okay. At this point, it's warranted a new addition to the FAQ thread.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby EVA 01 on Tue May 23, 2006 8:32 pm

...If booby does a few more of his crazy stunts (as well as us) tax exempt status will be in our hands. But untill then...belef.net will be fine.
Eva Nerd
EVA 01
Conchigliette Convert

Postby boghog on Thu May 25, 2006 5:07 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:I also just did my Canadian census forms.... Canada doesn't want to know what religion you are. I find this pretty representative; I don't really know the faith of many of my friends.

They do, but they don't ask everybody.

There are two sets of forms. Most people get the basic set ("What's your name? What's your address? How old are you? Are you a farmer?" and that's it), but I know one person who got randomly selected for the detailed form ("What's your religion? What's your ethnic background? How much do you make?" and on, and on...). They just ask fewer people (I guess so they don't have as much data-crunching to do at Statistics Canada).
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby SiX on Fri May 26, 2006 11:54 am

What is the status of becoming legit? I have some experience starting a nonprofit, have researched becoming a church, and am an ordained minister of the ULC. I am more than happy to help and contribute in any way possible. Let me know what I can do.
SiX
Ziti Zealot

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri May 26, 2006 12:52 pm

boghog wrote:They do, but they don't ask everybody.

There are two sets of forms. Most people get the basic set ("What's your name? What's your address? How old are you? Are you a farmer?" and that's it), but I know one person who got randomly selected for the detailed form ("What's your religion? What's your ethnic background? How much do you make?" and on, and on...). They just ask fewer people (I guess so they don't have as much data-crunching to do at Statistics Canada).

Huh. I got the half-and-half set then, because they asked all the ethnic, language and financial info, but not religion.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby boghog on Fri May 26, 2006 12:56 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:
boghog wrote:They do, but they don't ask everybody.

Huh. I got the half-and-half set then, because they asked all the ethnic, language and financial info, but not religion.

My mistake, then. I thought they asked about religion on the big form.

boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri May 26, 2006 12:57 pm

It wasn't on mine... perhaps it's a regional difference? :?
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby boghog on Fri May 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:It wasn't on mine... perhaps it's a regional difference? :?

[joke]
'Cuz everyone knows that everyone in Alberta is an evangelical Christian, so they fill it in for you!
[/joke]

:D

Edit: My 500th post!

boghog
Lord of Linguini

ISU organization

Postby iacrawf on Wed May 31, 2006 12:04 am

I go to Iowa State University for college, and when i return to campus in the fall, i plan on starting a Religious organization for pastafarianism. It will be my mission as long as I remain at ISU to introduce others to our religion. Of course, i will not force others to believe (as if i could force anyone to do anything :D )
iacrawf
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Enigma on Wed May 31, 2006 6:52 pm

Hmm... I've never had to write down "my faith" anywhere, ever. In fact, I could very well have avoided to answer similar questions in real life as well, with the result of remaining a mystery in form of beliefs. It's not that important over here, I guess.
Arrogance is bliss
Enigma
Ziti Zealot

Postby Fredrick2003 on Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:46 am

I wonder what the response would be if you wrote pastafarianism down...
Fredrick2003
Ziti Zealot

Return to The Cause