Lovecraft and FSM

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby amenabletopasta on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:46 pm

Aarrgghh! Cap'n Lovecraft's monsters certainly 'ad noodley appendages, but they be a bit more sinister than our Beloved Aerial Pastaness.

Oi certainly wouldn't want to be touched by Chthulu's noodley appendages...
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always noodles in the air :fsm:
amenabletopasta
Mod

Bobby Henderson is the creator of FSM

Postby Noodlyoodly on Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:19 pm

All creators have sources and influences, conscious and otherwise, but it would be incredibly unfair to ascribe anything about FSM's credo to anyone other than our Grand Prophet Bobby Henderson. Bobby founded, created, unfurled and spread FSMism. He deserves full credit for its creation and actualization.

As someone says about something else in a sligthly different context: "Anyone who says otherwise is itchin' for a fight!"
:twisted:
The pasta is the life.

In Pastalidarity, NOOOD
Noodlyoodly
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby PragmaticallyWyrd on Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:48 pm

I think Guest is correct about the Lovecraft/FSM connection. And Cthulhu does have a cute side:

Larger images:
Cult of Chibi Cthulhu
Cthulhu Babies
--
Furry cows moo and decompress.
PragmaticallyWyrd
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby nosociallife on Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:36 pm

As Lovecraft wrote his stories in the early 1900's it could be entirely possible that he had been visited by the FSM and just did not know what to make of his noodely greatness.
Imagine you had never seen spaghetti and meatballs in your life, now look at any of the pictures of the FSM posted on this site. It looks like a writhing mass of tentacles, not unlike many of the vague description of Cthulhu in Lovecrafts writings.

I think that the FSM had tried to reach out to Lovecraft, but like many of the protagonists in Lovecrafts stories his mind was unable to grasp what he was facing. Fortunately for us it did inspire some of the greatest stories ever written.
nosociallife
Conchigliette Convert

Location: Wyoming. Yes, it is a real place.... unfortunately.

Postby PragmaticallyWyrd on Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:29 pm

nosociallife wrote:I think that the FSM had tried to reach out to Lovecraft, but like many of the protagonists in Lovecrafts stories his mind was unable to grasp what he was facing. Fortunately for us it did inspire some of the greatest stories ever written.

I do too. I mean just look at this guy
His Noodleness is cool and all that, but he could be kind of upsetting if you weren't prepared for Him. And He has the word "monster" in His Name. There's a reason for that. :fsm_wink:
--
PragmaticallyWyrd
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:05 pm

yeah he does look like the cutethulu. theres also the kraken to take into account. he had noodly appenages AND eystalkds methinks.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby PrimeDjin on Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:00 am

Hahahahaha, you also saw it?? To me there's no doubt, I had this very picture of Cthulhu from wikipedia for about a year as desktop image and the first time I saw FSM I immediately thought of the Great Ancient.

It could be that Lovecraft was touched by the noodly appendage early on... hmm... and maybe he got the inspiration from there...
I don't believe, I know
PrimeDjin
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby The Black Spot on Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:22 pm

Lovecraft knew not what he saw.

I mean, take that story "The Whisperer in Darkness". All that business of shoving brains into shiney cylinders was an obvious warning against the hideous practice of putting spaghetti in cans.
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Postby PrimeDjin on Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:05 pm

hrmm yeah you have a point there; spaghetti in cans is unnatural and an offence to the eyes of His Noodliness :fsm_angry:
I don't believe, I know
PrimeDjin
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:31 pm

do you want ME to shove your God in a can?

believe me, I'd be glad to.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby PragmaticallyWyrd on Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:34 pm

It's new God-Inna-Can! Brought to you from the makers of God-Inna-Box, I Can't Believe It's Not God, and Pasteurized Cheese Spread Product.
8)
--
PragmaticallyWyrd
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:46 pm

FUNNY!

pasturized cheese spread products, brilliant.

and, if you want that extra offfense side, for just a measly extra $20, we'll ship you a FREE God-intha-can.

EDIT: supposed to be God-ontha-can.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby fusiontortellini on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:02 pm

His Noodliness appeared before Lovecraft, and he was sore afraid. And Lovecraft mistook his noodly gestures of greeting, and thought He was attempting to engulf him. And so the Elder God Cthulhu was born. . .
Who really might actually be back this time . . .

May the Fiori be with you. And may It have Meatballs.
fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby aquazoo on Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:07 pm

PrimeDjin wrote:Hahahahaha, you also saw it?? To me there's no doubt, I had this very picture of Cthulhu from wikipedia for about a year as desktop image and the first time I saw FSM I immediately thought of the Great Ancient.

It could be that Lovecraft was touched by the noodly appendage early on... hmm... and maybe he got the inspiration from there...

I thought the same when I first saw the "open letter", and I'm glad to finally find a place where the similarities may be discussed!

I wonder if Cthulhu and Flying Spaghetti Monster are two faces fo the same Diety, similar to the loving, childlike Jesus and the Jesus who whipped the merchants in the temple?

Those who behave themselves will spend eternity with FSM, and children who do not eath their lima beans will get a visit from Cthulhu? Annd so will their parents, and siblings, and the rest of the block, really the whole city or county depending on whether His ravenous appetite has been satisfied....

-Carol
aquazoo
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:22 pm

boom! i just made the connection. (I'll have to PM daveL.)

it helps with me Flying SM, Swiming SM, and Walking SM.

CTHULU IS TEH WALKING SPAGHETTI MONSTAR!

wheee!

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Next

Return to Scripture and Lore