V for Vendetta

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Duke on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:02 am

I am not going to pretend that I don't get obsessed with certain things, but that is a little much.................

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby beagle on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:33 pm

You Alan Moore fans might be interested in this.

He even looks like Guy Fawkes. Don't know how long the links will remain active as it's a weekly programme. The full interview is supposed to be accessible from here http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/ but appears to point to a different program currently. Hopefully they'll fix it soon. And it turns out apparently it may not be visible outside the UK.

Beginning to wish I hadn't started this post ... :cry:
beagle
Brewmeister

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:19 pm

I want to read the book, then see the movie. I've heard from some that its good, and some that its bad. it looks like a fun movie wether its good or not (ahh the gerne of action movies...). I'll make my own desicion.

I also want to write a parody. "V for Venganza"

I got the idea because I can just open the adress bar on Mozilla, hit "V", and venganza comes up. so i started saying "V for Venganza!" in that gruff action movie trailer announcer voice.

perhaps a crazy fundie goverment? or have it just be fascist and more focused on the food aspect (no carbs), rather than touching religion. :roll:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby beagle on Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:06 am

In the TV interview he gave the distinct impression he didn't like any of the films based on his work. Apparently the dystopic alien worlds are all based on Northampton too... :D

V was a symbol for WWII resistance fighters in occupied Europe (based on Churchill's V for Victory). They'd put V (or the Morse code for it ...- ) as graffiti on public buildings in France, Holland etc to annoy the Nazis. Alan Moore didn't say whether that was where he got the idea. Maybe it says in the book...

Definitely like your idea of a vengeance toolbar...
beagle
Brewmeister

Postby Disco on Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:28 pm

I still do not know what to think of this movie. I should see it though.

This film looks to have alot of possiblity, or it could be another Matrix: Reloaded.
Disco
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby ChowMein on Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:18 am

And i thought i was the only one to have read V for Vendetta,Thank FSM i am not alone.Alan Moore is a writer par excellance!!IF you enjoyed V,read Watchmen,Miracleman and his comic book stories with DC and others.
The original comics are pricey,so i would advise obtaining reprints or dogeared copies,you will not regret it.
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Entropy on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:59 am

I am unable to see the movie because I'm sure my dad will hear pundits talk about it on the radio and he'd find it offensive and anti-American and blah blah blah. However, I intend fully to buy the movie on DVD when it comes out or something and then hide it from him, because its a lot easier to go to Fry's than it is to go to the movies without him knowing.

Here's the actual point of my post.. would it spoil the movie plot to read the comic before I watch the movie? I love the Wachowskis' work, so I'm more interested in the movie experience than the comic one.
~Entropy
But you know I know when it's a dream
Entropy
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:26 am

if you're more interested in the movie experience, watch the movie. I'm more interested in the comic experience, so I'm going to try and get my hands on that before I watch the movie. one thing is that since the book is always better than the movie, it's better to watch the book first, in my experience. but do whatever you want to do.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby johngalt on Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:47 pm

I actually watched the movie on Friday, and it was AWESOME. It actually held up to the comic's standard most of the time, and I was impressed. I think this will be the second DVD I purchase (in my entire life)!
"Giving up is what kills people. It's only when you refuse to give up that you truly transcend your human self." Alucard, Hellsing by Kouta Hirano

Damnant quadnon intelligunt - They condemn what they do not understand.

Sibling Alchemical
johngalt
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:17 pm

what about V's expression? the DC reviewer said because of the mask and the weird voice, you didn't really get feeling and you couldn't connect with V. is this true?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby johngalt on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:00 am

I don't see it that way. The mask gives him the creepy "always happy, even when he's stabbing you in the face" kind of look, which was part of his appeal in the comic for me. He also speaks very dramatically, even overly so, which is part of V's character. I thought it portrayed V very well.
"Giving up is what kills people. It's only when you refuse to give up that you truly transcend your human self." Alucard, Hellsing by Kouta Hirano

Sibling Alchemical
johngalt
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:15 am

yeah, the post was talking about "you can't connect with the struggling vigilatne to free a nation!!!"

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Entropy on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:41 am

I read the first issue of the comics and will see the movie tomorrow and then read the rest of the comics. Yay!
~Entropy
But you know I know when it's a dream
Entropy
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby johngalt on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:53 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:yeah, the post was talking about "you can't connect with the struggling vigilante to free a nation!!!"
Sorry, I suppose I got off topic. I kind of agree, kind of disagree. He is a hard character to connect to, but he is the same way in the comic. If anything I thought it made him seem almost too human in the movie. So I probably disagree with whoever said that. I think V is supposed to be elevated above the normal person, seeing as he is more of an idea than a human being. Anyway...

Sibling Alchemical
johngalt
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:02 pm

mmm... like batman.

why oh WHY must they have love interest in ALL the batman movies? for once, I'd just like to see bruce go dating with some twig, then later runs into her as the jokers doing some shit, and he shoots the twig, and batmans like.

meh.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors