The Obvious Question

Posts that are locked but open for perusal.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Postby lei on Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:45 pm

i've long considered myself pagan (and posted as such early in this thread.)

i just thought it was a fun quiz. kind of like "this week in god" on the daily show. however if you'd like to delete the post or have me do it i will.

aloha and may the sauce be with you!
"In a world of hate, love is the ultimate protest." - Chuck D
lei
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Capellini on Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:41 pm

No, unfortunately 'avoiding possible extra work for myself' is not a legitimate reason to delete posts.

Ho hum.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Alpaca on Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:56 pm

As a cross between a fury and a banshee, you could go around whipping the post, making it beg for deletion.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Cannon_Fodder on Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:16 pm

Fury is now a noun? Interesting (ya learn something new every day). I still just think that every noun can be turned into a legitimate verb.

-(Rev. Brackets)
"The Big Bang violates the first Law of Thermodynamics!"
"So does your face!"
Cannon_Fodder
Farfalle First Mate

Postby iamnotanoctopus on Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:51 pm

Cannon_Fodder wrote:Fury is now a noun? Interesting (ya learn something new every day). I still just think that every noun can be turned into a legitimate verb.

-(Rev. Brackets)

???

Fury is a noun however you use it. It's either an intangible thing, but still a thing and thus a noun, or a mythological reference, usually seen in plural--the Furies.
"I will not rest until every year families gather to spend December 25th together at Osama's homo-abortion-pot-and-commie-jizzporium."

-Jon Stewart
iamnotanoctopus
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Cannon_Fodder on Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:07 pm

Let me re-phrase: I didn't realise that there could be "a" fury. (I generally thought of it as more adjectiveness). I guess I'd better read up on my mythology (and the english language :oops: )

-(Rev. Brackets)
"So does your face!"
Cannon_Fodder
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Tickle on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:30 am

I didn't realise that there could be "a" fury. (I generally thought of it as more adjectiveness).

You're not the only one... To the dictionary!...

Ahhh. Furies: The snake haired goddess of vengance, usually three in number, who persued unpunished criminals. Also called: Enrinyes, Eumendes ...interesting...
Thought of the Day:

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose." ~ Robert Byrne
Tickle
Brewmeister

Postby Capellini on Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:25 am

Snake haired is inaccurate, those were the Gorgons, but other than that, you've got it. The Furies were essentially spirits/lesser deities that enacted vengeance. Eumenides refers to the third play in Aeschylus's Orestaia, in which they were transformed into the Fates, seekers of justice instead of revenge. I prefer the former.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Shoeman on Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:25 pm

Furies, weren't they part cat? Or do I have a different legend in mind... I think I do.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Shoeman
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Alpaca on Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:18 pm

Dunno about being catlike, but they carried some mighty fine whips.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby teripie on Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:33 pm

"With cat like tread,
Upon our way we steal.
In silence dread,
Our cautious way we feel.
No sound at all,
We never say a word.
A flies footfall,
distinctly would be heard."

Tarantara................
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
Bunny, as cute and cuddley as he may appear, is bent on world domination.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby Cannon_Fodder on Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:54 pm

Yes! Gotta love G&S! My dad actually played the Pirate King in one rendition of that show! Looks like I've got royalty (and more importantly piracy) in my blood! My first G&S show... ah the momories...

-(Rev. Brackets)
"So does your face!"
Cannon_Fodder
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Tickle on Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:24 pm

"With cat like tread,
Upon our way we steal.
In silence dread,
Our cautious way we feel.
No sound at all,
We never say a word.
A flies footfall,
distinctly would be heard."

Tarantara................

I remember doing that in a school play once, except we called it "the pirates with no pants".

I hope you realise that that tune will be stuck in my head for the rest of eternity

...tarantara...
Thought of the Day:

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose." ~ Robert Byrne
Tickle
Brewmeister

Postby Cannon_Fodder on Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:30 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: "Pirates With No Pants"? And you are complaining about having things stuck in your head? My virgin ear- um... eyes... Seriously, I don't want to know what happened at your "school". Guuh... (Gah! No brackets!)

-(Rev. Brackets)
"So does your face!"
Cannon_Fodder
Farfalle First Mate

Postby teripie on Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:40 pm

My sister and I were raised on G & S and particularly loved "Pirates." The 2 of us could really get into "When The Foeman Bears His Steel," singing every part and almost sounding harmonic! We were also known to do a fair job on "Modern Major-General" and not miss a word.
A few years ago she came into town to celebrate our birthdays (we're only a couple days apart date wise) and the local little theater was putting on "Pirates." I didn't have tickets but knew at the door they usually have a couple of no-shows. Our husbands were praying they would only have 2 seats open so they could leave us at the theater and they could go to a bar. Unfortunately for them a block of 4 seats became available and we forced them to see the show with us. And ya know what? They loved it! Was a great production and the guys became big fans of "Pirates."
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
Bunny, as cute and cuddley as he may appear, is bent on world domination.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
teripie
Birthday Scribe

PreviousNext

Return to Locked Posts