Word of the Day

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Word of the Day

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:15 am

ambiagraphia
-noun
a cerebral disorder characterized by total or partial inability to write with either hand.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PKMKII on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:57 pm

gedact
-noun
a flutelike stopped metal diapason organ pipe
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Seaman Staines on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:04 am

Gedeckt
noun

Same as Gedact
----------------
It'll wash out.
Seaman Staines
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Capt'n Chestbeard on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:51 am

Crummox (KRUM oks) - n. The cereal that gets caught between the inner lining and the side of the box. Also, the leftover amount at the bottom. (Not enough to eat, but too much to throw away. )
Part-time dolphin Trainer, Full Time Ninja

Pastafarian Minister of Lincolnshire

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams
Capt'n Chestbeard
Ziti Zealot

Postby PKMKII on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:00 am

aglet
-noun
1. a metal tag or sheath at the end of a lace used for tying, as of a shoelace.
2. (in the 16th and 17th centuries) an ornament at the end of a point or other ribbon used to secure a garment.
3. aiguillette
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:16 am

arghlet
-noun
a small arrrgh
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:54 am

agathalet
-noun
a short story about Hercule Poirot.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:10 am

euthenics
-noun
a science concerned with bettering the condition of human beings through the improvement of their environment.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:23 pm

putrescible
-adjective
1. liable to become putrid.
-noun
2. a putrescible substance.

PKMKII

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:20 pm

eutennis
-verb
One of several programs for selective breeding of Russian women for the purpose of infiltrating professional sports in Europe and America.

putinscible
-adjective
liable to become Putin.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:39 pm

putressable
-adjective
of long hair, to rot in the trap under the shower.

male pattern baldness
-noun
loss of hair precipitated by having to empty the shower trap of rotting hair innumerable times, whilst being berated that aforesaid hair isn't hers, how dare you imply that?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:15 am

feal
-adjective
faithful; loyal.

PKMKII

Postby DavidH on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:27 am

feal

-n.

a young heorse
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:11 pm

feault
-noun
responsibility accepted for a random event, or for a willful act of one's wife: "It's YOUR feault that the paper wasn't delivered this morning! Now you've made me put too much sugar in my coffee!" "Yes, dear."
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby PKMKII on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:11 pm

lambent
-adjective
1. running or moving lightly over a surface: lambent tongues of flame.
2. dealing lightly and gracefully with a subject; brilliantly playful: lambent wit.
3. softly bright or radiant: a lambent light.

PKMKII

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes