CURRENT Television

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Re: CURRENT Television

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:08 pm

The Sport Direct bake-off thingy. Kirsty Young might be getting on a bit but still :lech:

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:23 pm

Hey, hands off PG's wife! :whip:

:haha:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Pete Byrdie
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Pete Byrdie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:24 am

I don't watch much TV, but I am a fan of Sherlock. Did anyone watch the new series? I enjoyed it, but in a three episode series, really at least one episode should be on concept. I found myself at the end longing for an episode where they just get an ordinary case and follow it from beginning to end. I worry that directorial style has overtaken basic storytelling a bit, with too much of an episode shown in flashbacks, and sometimes not even that excuse for showing things in a distracting nonlinear fashion. Also, too many abstractions of Sherlock's deduction processes. This stuff is not story! We had five minutes of him deciding which way to fall after being shot in the last one.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Just finished watching Ashes to Ashes.

Shit.
That was good.

Also, not what I was expecting.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:52 pm

The new Cosmos with Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Is good ya.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Sun May 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Honey Badgers: Masters of Mayhem

Cheeky little sods and very clever, well worth watching for UK residents.
Don't let the mechanics of beer trick you into thinking you are some kind of warrior, eating barbed wire on the wave of violent disorder. Three words: cage, wheel, hamster - Jason Williamson

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Sat May 24, 2014 8:15 pm

game er frowns

no, luke, hi am yer father

um...
hi fink...
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Mon May 26, 2014 3:15 pm

R + L = J ?
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:50 pm

Regarding a certain Mr. Clarkson:
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:47 am

Quite right, he should have just bitten the producer instead :haha:
Don't let the mechanics of beer trick you into thinking you are some kind of warrior, eating barbed wire on the wave of violent disorder. Three words: cage, wheel, hamster - Jason Williamson

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:55 pm

A Keith Floyd programme on the BBC Iplayer, Rick Stein's got hair :confused: :shocked:

gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby gronank » Sun May 10, 2015 5:42 pm

Does anyone else think that Jonathan Pryce got his part i Game of Thrones after his convincing performance as the Pope for the last few years?
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Sun May 10, 2015 7:21 pm

I prefer to think of it as he got the part because he's English, and they keep killing characters off, so they're cycling through actors quite quickly (for some reason they seem to like English actors in these sort of fantasty series and films).

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby gronank » Sun May 10, 2015 8:12 pm

Pryce is the second Bond villain they've had on the show, you could go for the hattrick and bring in Christopher Lee.But I think also think it's time to balance that out with some Bonds. What are Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan doing these days?
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby ChowMein » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:51 am

Rainswept wrote:R + L = J ?

Yah , that equation adds up nicely .

I have just started watching Supernatural again , I watched the first season bit missed the majority of the episodes . I stopped watching because I found it a bit boring and something of a poor man's The Night Stalker ,of which I was a huge fan .
I have been resisting the urge for cable because i feel they want too much money per month so we have been buying a lot of DVDs .
My roomie picked up seasons 3,7,and 8 of Supernatural a week ago , since we hadn't anything else worth watching I gave them a go , mainly because i noticed Lauren easy on my eyes Cohan from The Walking Dead on the dust jacket .
I am now a fan , i love the humour and all the mythology , angels and such even though they take liberties with the source materials .
I had a great chuckle after the protagonists destroyed a demon disguised as a highway patrolman .The crane shot showed the boys covering up his( its) car with branches and we see it is numbered 54 .
I could here Herman Munster yelling , " CAR 54 ! WHERE ARE YOUUUUUU !
Har de har har !

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”