Why Brits are better than Yanks

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Why Brits are better than Yanks

Postby Cardinal Fang on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:46 pm

Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Re: Why Brits are better than Yanks

Postby Cardinal Fang on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:49 pm

#1 - the Brits are definately superior to Americans in the tea making department.

I have a few American friends and aquaintances - all have had to be educated in how to make a decent cup of tea.

I've wondered whether this is all to do with the American Revolution. It started with the Boston Tea Party. Perhaps since then American have assumed that tea should be dropped into cold water.

CF

Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Tea is drunk by deviants. As is coffee. What could be weirder than taking bits of dead plant, drying them out and then sticking them in boiling water before fishing out the manky bits of plant and drinking what's left? :haha:

Obviously beer is something totally different :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Cardinal Fang on Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:21 pm

See point #2!

Brit beer IMHO is far superior to most US beers. Most commercially made American beers are a little like making love in a canoe

CF

Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Rainswept on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:54 pm

Um, no. In Britain all deserts are referred to as "pudding". Further, cookies are called "biscuits". Any nation that believes biscuits are a type of pudding is broken.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Cardinal Fang on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:29 pm

The word biscuit (from the Middle French bescuit) comes from the latin words bis (twice) and coquere or coctus (to cook, cooked), and hence means "twice cooked". As the original biscuits would be first baked then oven dried, this explains the name. By the time of the 14th century, the world bisquite was being used in England to refer to a hard twice-baked food item.

Cookie comes from the word koekje ("little cake") that was adopted by the Dutch in the 18th century to refer to a similar type of twice-baked foofstuff.

When Europeans started heading across the pond to the US, both words went with them. It was after the US War of Independence that cookie was adopted to refer to hard, baked products.

I would argue though that biscuit is the correct term as it is the one that was in use first. What Americans call "biscuits" should be referred to as bread - as this is what it is (just risen with baking powder rather than yeast). This is confirmed by the fact that they are often eaten with butter (like other forms of bread) and often at breakfast with something sweet such as jam or honey.

CF

Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby PKMKII on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:07 pm

Brits better than Yankees?

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Rainswept on Fri May 02, 2014 2:27 am

Truck drivers aren't butch men that drive "18-wheelers" or "Semis" over there, no they go round in "fully articulated lorries"
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Seaman Staines on Fri May 02, 2014 8:26 am

----------------
It'll wash out.
Seaman Staines
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri May 02, 2014 9:37 am

Combining better comedy and better history, terribly posh comedian Miles Jupp:
Are you an American? You are? Jolly good.

Did you know my house is older than your country?

I appeared as part of the same multi-comic lineup at the Edinburgh Fringe as Miles Jupp about 15 years ago. He went on to fame, fortune and Balamory. I ended up doing lights and sound for him the next year.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Cardinal Fang on Fri May 02, 2014 1:47 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Combining better comedy and better history, terribly posh comedian Miles Jupp:
Are you an American? You are? Jolly good.

Did you know my house is older than your country?

:lol:

CF

Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby PKMKII on Sat May 03, 2014 12:28 am

Oooh, we're talking history? Here's some fun 'Murican history from just shy of 238 years ago:
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat May 03, 2014 5:08 am

Is that the British surrendering to the French? Yes, I'm pretty sure they're French. Cheese-eating victory monkeys...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby DavidH on Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 am

It's that bloody Idiot Cornwallis surrendering to the rebels. His ineptitude and our long supply route were what lost that war.

But that's not long ago. Last week I looked at a doorway which has lasted unchanged since 685. The people who built it were English and called their language English. That's old.

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat May 03, 2014 10:46 am

I live in the Loudoun Valley. There is a volcanic plug called Loudoun Hill about 5 miles away, but you can see it from all over the valley, because all the roads that go vaguely in that direction point straight at the hill. Straight at it. This feature of our town planning apparently pre-dates Christianity in this part of the world. You can see what used to be paths across farmers' fields (pre-enclosure in the 18th century), and they all point straight at the hill too.

All hail the mystical Loudoun Hill!

That's proper history.
Roy Hunter

Next

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion