Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Watching the old game after the Six Nations match today I'm amazed how quickly the scrum was formed and moving. Generally speaking the scrum was started within 3 seconds of the whistle. Compare with the several minutes of the current scrum.

It is interesting how priorities change.
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Bloody hell that was a good weekend of rugby. Roy, if you haven't seen the Scotland - Italy game yet you should find it on the BBC iplayer, nervewracking last 5 minutes.

England, despite losing a potential try by inches at the start, still beat the Irish. No team's getting a slam this year and they all look pretty evenly matched. England, Ireland or Wales could win the championship and I think England-Wales in a fortnight will be the match that decides the winner.
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:34 am

daftbeaker wrote:Roy, if you haven't seen the Scotland - Italy game yet you should find it on the BBC iplayer, nervewracking last 5 minutes.

Thanks, but I don't really 'get' rugby, and the last thing I need at the weekend is my nerves further wracked.

I hear it was very good though. I hope it's not a one-off fluke, and that we might be on the way back as a team.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Major League Baseball season opener to be in Australia.

They're retrofitting the Sydney Cricket Grounds to be a baseball ballpark. There will be a double-header between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the L.A. Dodgers.
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:47 am

Watching this season opener, and I gotta say Aussies, that Sydney Cricket Grounds is one nice-looking stadium.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:55 pm

Mets swept the D-backs, now have a winning record for the first time this season. BASK IN OUR ATHLETIC PROWESS!

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:46 pm

Sunderland upsets Chelsea 2-1. Ends Mourinho's home winning streak, much to the delight of Liverpool.

Also, I only pay intermittent attention to the EPL, so, what the hell happened to Man U? At the moment they're not even qualified for the Europa League.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Sun May 11, 2014 1:01 pm

Man City wins the EPL championship. Liverpool's Red Sox money only good enough for 2nd place.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:19 pm

911? Yes, I'd like to report a horrible, brutal rape.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:28 pm

PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Brazil - Germany is... interesting...

5 - 0 to Germany after 35 minutes.

I wasn't expecting that...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:45 pm

So every year, ESPN Magazine does the Body issue, featuring athletes in the buff, showcasing the pinnacle of form and function for the human body.

Oh, and Prince Fielder.

PKMKII

Postby bonsaiherb on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:13 pm

Fussball,

I have been totally underwhelmed by the World Cups. Brazil never impressed me and the golden dive champion of the Europeans must be Arjen Robben. Aside from Ronaldo the Netherlands even out flopped the South Americans.

He should get a Golden Dive award. After Costa Rica got killed off I wasn't going to watch any more. Today's game (I thought Germany by 2-0) but it was a total rout and i was so happy. Had hoped that Colombia or Mexico would advance further. Not to be.

The Dutch because of Arjen Robben, Netherlands deserves to lose (he has fouled out too many good players). Go Argentina! Too many floppers out there.
http://www.rantsports.com/soccer/2014/0 ... p/#slide18

That should be a good match-up.
bonsaiherb
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby PKMKII on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:09 pm

PKMKII

Postby Seaman Staines on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:22 am

bonsaiherb wrote:Fussball,

I have been totally underwhelmed by the World Cups. Brazil never impressed me and the golden dive champion of the Europeans must be Arjen Robben. Aside from Ronaldo the Netherlands even out flopped the South Americans.

He should get a Golden Dive award. After Costa Rica got killed off I wasn't going to watch any more. Today's game (I thought Germany by 2-0) but it was a total rout and i was so happy. Had hoped that Colombia or Mexico would advance further. Not to be.

The Dutch because of Arjen Robben, Netherlands deserves to lose (he has fouled out too many good players). Go Argentina! Too many floppers out there.
http://www.rantsports.com/soccer/2014/0 ... p/#slide18

That should be a good match-up.

I've always been completely underwhelmed by any sport - WTF is the point?
Why can't we care about stuff that actually means something and benefits mankind as a whole?
----------------
It'll wash out.
Seaman Staines
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion