Fake 2nd edition

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Fake 2nd edition

Postby The Dark Noodle on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:19 am

Someone is selling something called The Loose Canon second edition. this IS not the project The Council of The Olive Garden have been and are still working on

http://www.amazon.com/Loose-Canon-Compl ... oose+Canon
The Dark Noodle
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Location: Council of The Olive Garden, The Rev. Dr. Jo Freddie

Re: Fake 2nd edition

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:31 am

Written a scathing 1-star review along the lines of 'The publisher is a thief!'

I would urge other writers to do likewise.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:11 pm

The book is published through Amazon's self-publishing arm, CreateSpace.

The procedures for reporting copyright infringement can be found here:
https://www.createspace.com/Help/Rights ... operty.jsp
Notice and Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement

If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide CreateSpace's copyright agent the written information specified below. Please note that this procedure is exclusively for notifying CreateSpace and its affiliates that your copyrighted material has been infringed.

An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest;
    A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed upon;
    A description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the site;
    Your address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
    A statement by you that you have a good-faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
    A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf.
CreateSpace's Copyright Agent for notice of claims of copyright infringement on its site can be reached as follows:

Copyright Agent
CreateSpace Legal Department
P.O. Box 81226
Seattle, WA 98108
USA

Phone: 206.266.4064
Fax: 206.266.7010
E-mail: copyright@CreateSpace.com

Courier address:

Copyright Agent
CreateSpace Legal Department
410 Terry Ave North
Seattle, WA 98109-5210
USA

They'll want to know where to find the infringing material on their site. Here's the link:
https://www.createspace.com/4616449

Anyone on the Council of the Olive Garden care to give it a go?
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:55 pm

More information, including what has been kept and what has been discarded:

The Dark Noodle wrote:
Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:
Can you give me a link to the listing published on Facebook?

This is the profile that is publishing it
https://www.facebook.com/loose.canon.18?hc_location=stream

You will find one of their posts in the "Recent Posts by Others" section on The loose Canon page
https://www.facebook.com/The.Loose.Canon?

I strongly suspect this has been published by the banned "juicegiver", whom I strongly suspect has returned to us under another name. If you notice, he's removed the cover and the content that was created by people who specifically refused to give him permission. But he's kept in the content from people who have gone AWOL or otherwise didn't chime in.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby strozzascotte on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:42 am

As far as I understand (and that's not too far), the 2nd Book of Penelope written by Medusa Maro and your humble pirate Cap. Pizzocchero will be included in the official 2nd ed. (we are listed between the authors in another post), but it wasn't included in the stolen version.
Nobody contacted us to ask permission ever, and we aren't listed between the authors of the published book on Amazon nor in its "excluded works" list.

Still, I took a time to write a bad review on Amazon.

Let me know if I can help somehow.

May His Sauce always be abundant on your table.
strozzascotte
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:17 pm

The book is no longer listed on CreateSpace, but it is still listed on Amazon. It may take a little bit for Amazon's servers to catch up, but I'm hoping it goes away in the next 24 hours.

You can't publish someone else's intellectual property without their permission. And certainly not without a signed contract. Idiot!
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:You can't publish someone else's intellectual property without their permission. And certainly not without a signed contract. Idiot!

And of course, the IP is entirely from the mind of the Creator, being divinely inspired scripture. Signed contract might be tough, I hear it's surprisingly hard for wet noodle to functionally wield a pen.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby The Dark Noodle on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:00 pm

I don't think we are dealing with the sharpest knife in the drawer... he posted this, with a very poor attempt to redact his address
(I was going to post this with his address cleaned up but thought better of it)

He also posted this with the comment
Loose Canon wrote: No profit will be made from the sale of the Loose Canon Complete Second Edition until 12,900 copies are sold. The Loose Canon Complete Second Edition is a gift to the Pastafarian community from Aba Sababa, Alien Soda Jerk, Auntie Dee Dee, David D., Edd, Fini, Ham Nox, Ichiban Bach, Jeff, Paul, Pious Pirate, Platypus Enthusiast, Qwertyuiopasd, Roland Deschain, Snacky, Solipsy, St. Jason, Tristan and Eric Whitfield. In the event that 12,901 copies are sold the price will be reduced to $0.00 royalties. Mr. Whitfield looks forward to working with the Council of the Olive Garden when the authorized version is ready to go into print.

He sent me this private message when I pointed out he did not have my permission to use my contribution.

Clearly he thinks it is about the money, it is not, it is about the fact the The Loose Canon project is the domain of venganza.org and the Council of The Olive Garden and as such those are the only two entities that can authorise a new edition of The Loose Canon and he has no business publishing it on he own.

I also feel that his actions also make the prospect of there ever being an official printed version more remote.

You can find his postings here:
https://www.facebook.com/loose.canon.18/
The Dark Noodle
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:45 pm

From a purely legal standpoint, every contributor (or their estate, for any contributor no longer with us) would have to sign a release or otherwise legally indicate their willingness to have the work published in a form other than freely distributed electronic format (which is the only format the agreed to when originally providing their writings in the first place).

I would, however, be willing to donate my time designing the second edition PDF, kindle, and possibly ePub (if I can export it properly). I've even got some spare ISBNs lying around that I don't need. I bought a pack of 10, which is the cheap way to do it. We could list the Loose Canon kindle on Amazon for free, and give all three (kindle, ePub, PDF) ISBNs, the way you're supposed to.

The only thing is that the ISBNs would be registered to me, so if we ever wanted to update the information in the ISBN database for the 2nd edition, it would have to be done through me.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby strozzascotte on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:47 am

My advise is to ask every author to agree with a license like Creative Commons. It's easy to understand an well recognized internationally.
When we started the translation of the 1st edition in Italian, I asked what the legal situation was because translation is considered a derivated work. Please think also about translations before you decide what is the best solution.
strozzascotte
Conchigliette Convert

Postby The Dark Noodle on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:16 am

strozzascotte wrote:My advise is to ask every author to agree with a license like Creative Commons. It's easy to understand an well recognized internationally.
When we started the translation of the 1st edition in Italian, I asked what the legal situation was because translation is considered a derivated work. Please think also about translations before you decide what is the best solution.

The problem we have is that some of the authors are no longer with us and others are vrry hard to contact.
We had this discussion when the first edition was released, getting consent for a printed version may be next to impossible.
With the online versions should a contributer surface who objects their section can be easily removed.

Now there is nothing we can do to stop anyone printing a personal copy and heaving it bound, so for those that want a physical copy that may be the only option for now.

A project to get written consent could be set up but it may take a long time to complete, if ever.
The Dark Noodle
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:28 am

The premise of the Loose Canon was that people would submit work to be published as a free online scripture. That was at the top of the thread that people submitted work to. If push comes to shove you could evidence that you have consent to use their work in that way, because it is explicitly stated in the forum to which they submitted it.

As for a personal copy - I have one in a loose-leaf binder. It's for personal use, and I don't object to that any more than I object to someone taking a CD of music I have produced and transferring it to their computer and then their iPod. If they transfer it to the iTunes store and try to flog it for profit, that's a different thing...
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:33 pm

It's still listed as "in stock" on Amazon. We need to report the theft of our intellectual property to them and send a notification of infringement claim.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby peacefulsongs on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:13 am

There is a new book out by Johan D Konnig called, "Dechujoh's Stories from the Loose Canon: The Books of Dechujoh. The ISBN is 978-1495979613 . I would provide a link but that is very difficult on my kindle.
peacefulsongs
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby peacefulsongs on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:27 am

peacefulsongs
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Next

Return to Scripture and Lore