Getting recognized in Ontario & Across Canada

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Getting recognized in Ontario & Across Canada

Postby techie2200 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:34 pm

I just received my ordination certificate (I'm a Pastafarian from Ontario) and I've been looking into the process for getting the church of the FSM recognized as a religious denomination in Ontario and across Canada.

If you follow this link: http://www.carters.ca/pub/bulletin/chur ... chlb09.htm you'll see the list of requirements for any denomination to be recognized.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else would be on board for getting recognized in Canada so that Pastafarians can officiate weddings and hold their own religious ceremonies. For anyone too lazy to check the link above here's the list of requirements:

Code: Select all
1. Appointment and Dismissal of Clergy: Please supply us with the by-laws or rules of your denomination, which clearly sets out how your clergy members are appointed and dismissed.

2. A copy of your denomination's rites and usages respecting solemnization of marriage. An actual copy of your marriage ceremony is required.5

3. A copy of the form of worship, namely actions or practices of displaying reverence or veneration paid to a being or power regarded as supernatural or divine displayed by appropriate acts, rites and ceremonies.

4. A registration package for each clergy is required to include:
    i) a completed application;
    ii) a copy of your ordination or proof of appointment;
    iii) a letter of authorization from the governing official of your denomination permitting you to solemnize marriages according to that denomination's rites and usages.

5. A letter signed by three board members stating who will be the governing official for the denomination. The governing official will be responsible for keeping the records of all clergy registered under the denomination and report to the Registrar General any changes in status or addresses of clergy registered under their denomination.

6. A certified copy of the incorporation papers for your denomination is required. This will reflect the date and place of incorporation or founding of the religious body. A copy of your registration as a charity with Revenue Canada is also required.

7. A statement is required which reflects information about the congregation you will be serving. Please show the name and location of the church, and the number of members and adherents showing the extent and continuous growth. Include evidence that would indicate the length of time the denomination has been functioning inside or outside of Ontario.

8. A statement showing the organizational structure of your denomination explaining the procedure by which your governing official would be appointed or relieved of jurisdictional authority.

9. Signatures and addresses of at least 25 members of the denomination, excluding clergy and their families, petitioning us to register the denomination.
techie2200
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Getting recognized in Ontario & Across Canada

Postby Orecchiette on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:44 pm

I'll sign the petition. I live in Quebec.
Orecchiette
Conchigliette Convert

Postby techie2200 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Awesome! I'll be getting something concrete up soon (maybe a google doc) so that we can sign it and get things going. I think the main problem isn't going to be with membership numbers though.
techie2200
Conchigliette Convert

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 am

Elvalia's at university up there somewhere....
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Scribbler on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi everybody. Just wondering what the status is with recognition of fsm in Canada?
Scribbler
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:42 pm

I don't believe there has been any concerted effort for official recognition anywhere.

If you want to be able to perform pastafarian ceremonies and have them be official, look into organizations like the Univseral Life Church, which will ordain anyone for free. Just make sure it's recognized in your country first.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby mathsisfun on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:59 am

The requirements raise a point. Is there actually a system in place for who keeps running the church if something happened to him while his noodliness is hung over? :drunk: Do we actually have a board with at least 3 members? Does the church have incorporation papers? Is it even legally an organization?
I don't think it would be possible to meet these requirements while still rejecting all dogma. They require a copy of pastafarian marriage rites, despite the fact they're supposed to be made up on the spot.
:bummer:
mathsisfun
Conchigliette Convert

Postby techie2200 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:30 am

mathsisfun wrote:The requirements raise a point. Is there actually a system in place for who keeps running the church if something happened to him while his noodliness is hung over? :drunk: Do we actually have a board with at least 3 members? Does the church have incorporation papers? Is it even legally an organization?
I don't think it would be possible to meet these requirements while still rejecting all dogma. They require a copy of pastafarian marriage rites, despite the fact they're supposed to be made up on the spot.
:bummer:

Honestly that's one of the biggest problems. As well as the whole "we're not supposed to have churches and instead are building a pirate ship" thing.
techie2200
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Lord High Admiral on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:18 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:I don't believe there has been any concerted effort for official recognition anywhere.

Me and a couple of friends actually tried to get Pastafarism recognized by the state in Finland. The government said no because in their view Pastafarism is not a genuine religion (although they failed to specify why). We appealed and the case went all the way to the Supreme Administrative Court which ruled that Pastafarism is not a religion because it is not a religion. We appealed to the European Court of Human Rights but the court did not want to hear the case citing that it does not meet the formal requirements which is a bit odd because we were very careful to make sure that it at least meets the formalities.

Although we were squashed we are not about to give up. We are thinking of drawing a new, modified, application and submitting it again. We are encouraged by the success of a group who managed to get their religion based on the Finnish national epoch approved. I am eager to see if they will exercise their legal rights by demanding teaching of their religion in public schools if more than 3 children registered as members are present within the municipality. Or if they are interested purchasing alcohol for communion purposes tax free.

For our Canadian brothers I recommend that you carefully go through the relative legislation AND previous cases.
Lord High Admiral
Conchigliette Convert

Postby ChowMein on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:32 am

" Pastafarianism is not at a religion because it is not a religion " ! ? !

When the court returns from recess i hope they receive their 10 minute quiet time before their milk and taro root biscuits .

That quote is just as powerfully persuasive and logical as " it says so in the bible " .
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Lord High Admiral on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:16 am

ChowMein wrote:" Pastafarianism is not at a religion because it is not a religion " ! ? !

When the court returns from recess i hope they receive their 10 minute quiet time before their milk and taro root biscuits .

That quote is just as powerfully persuasive and logical as " it says so in the bible " .

Actually the Supreme Court decision was a couple of paragraphs long and it said something like this:

"When taking into consideration the reasoning of the Administrative Court's decision and the relevant judicial guidelines cited in the reasoning as well as the claims presented to the Supreme Administrative Court and relevant new statements by the parties, there is no basis changing the ruling of the lower court."

The relevant Administrative Court's ruling cited this reasoning:

"The Administrative Court taking into special consideration the Church Constitution Chapter 2 regarding the Church doctrine, holy scriptures, credo and the church organization as well as the Chapter 6 regarding religious ceremonies and their conduct, the court finds that the spiritual foundations of the organization are not considered holy by the members of the association as intended by the section 7, subsection 1 of the Freedom of Religion Act and that ceremonies and activities described in the constitution are not religious in nature but are instead another unspecified type of activity."

So basically the court is saying that they can read our mind and conclude we are not seriously considering foundations of pastafarism sacred. Naturally the court left out any evidence to support their view.
Lord High Admiral
Conchigliette Convert

Return to The Cause