Our Animals

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Our Animals

Postby TwistedSister on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:01 pm

Sorry that your new dog is such a handful Roy. Much as you'd love to give her a good home, she obviously has some really bad issues that only a pro can handle. You and the Mrs. tried and that's all you can do.
Best to give her up than to have someone file a complaint against her and she has to be put down.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:34 am

We lost Wakka a couple of weeks ago. She had been with us for about 18 years. Saucy old gal, but things were really breaking down for her. She was a good kitty, never took any crap from anyone. Moths didn't stand a chance against her.

And then there were 24.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby bacon on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:14 am

Sorry for your loss, ET. I hope the moths don't try and return thinking that its safe to come out now. Maybe one of the others will be able to take up where Wakka left off with the pest control.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:54 am

Sorry for your loss ET. It never gets any easier to let them go, no matter how many times we have to.
Only down to 24 now? Bless your pea pickin' heart for lovin' them all!
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:10 pm

For a long time we have planned on eventually taking in one or two elderly dogs from the shelter as "permanent fosters", to give them a place to live out their days in a comfortable home environment. Older animals are generally a tough sell at a shelter - everyone wants kittens and puppies, no one wants some ancient incontinent geezer who can't chase a frisbee. When we lost Wakka, we talked it over and pretty much formalized it, that we would start the dog thing when we got down to a 'manageable number' of cats, probably in a couple of years.

Well, apparently 24 is a manageable number. Tara joined our menagerie Monday. She's about 12 years old, appears to be a purebred Boxer. Probably was bred a hundred times at a puppy mill and kicked out the door when she dried up. She weighed 27 pounds when she was brought in, the shelter got her up to 38 over a couple of weeks. She was up to 41 at the vet on Tuesday. Probably should be around 50 or 55 pounds fully fleshed out. Sleeps a lot, only pees on the floor once in a while. So far, so good. Here she is at the shelter:Image
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:18 pm

12 is a good age for a boxer. Many of them have either heart trouble or cancer before then. Mean life expectancy is under ten, I think? Looked it up when we got Molly, who is part boxer.

Anyway, Tara looks like a sweetie. Boxers have a tendency to feel the cold - don't be surprised if she is perfectly happy with three or four cats lying on her, like strips of bacon. Molly loves it when Milo sits on top of her.

Yes, still got Molly. She's still a nightmare, but we can't find a more suitable home or a charity that will foster her rather than kennel her. So here she stays, until we find somewhere acceptable for her.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 pm

When my mother tells Cookie the cockatiel to stop singing the Ricky Ricky Ricky song, he listens. He doesn't listen to me. :bummer:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Moved my old pal Fritz again , last move was in may or june 2013 .
My new place restricts animals , so with much tears i gave him .
He is quite old now , 18-20 but still a happy guy that loves humans .
Couldn't get him into a carrier so he peed on my lap while in the car .

I think i may have to continually bump this thread to keep Piece's posts from disappearing as well as the posts of other MIA members .

Oh , that is everyone 's pal Fritz in my avvie .
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:42 pm

We have a top-loader carrier for difficult transportees. Comes in handy on a regular basis. Give Fritz a skritch or two for me.
Privvy Counselor

Postby ChowMein on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:12 am

Will do :zen:
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:35 pm

Another bump.

I heard from Black Bart on Facebook - he's still hanging in there.

Take care, all of you.

When I returned home, Katie went to live with the lad who had been living with us for over three years (he moved back in with his family). They are both very happy. Hubby still takes Katie for long walks sometimes, when work permits. So it was a nice gentle transition for her, which was kinder than dragging her home to Ireland.

I'm not exactly dogless here - Daughter and Son-Out-Law have two boy Staffies, one ancient (Louis) and one a pup (Jake). Both, however, are too much for me to handle, so I occasionally trawl through the rescues and pounds (Edit - the online ones!) looking for an ancient dog that will appreciate someone who cannot romp or run any more. Tara looks gorgeous!

Daughter has told me that Jake, who used to lunge on the lead and choke himself until he threw up, stopped pulling as soon as she put him in a harness (contrary to what she expected) so might that be worth trying with Molly, Roy? We once had a rescue dog who was gentle and fine with other dogs unless he was on a lead, when he became aggressive; I had to put him in a Halti which had several advantages - he couldn't pull, he couldn't bite AND he couldn't bark. So passing dogs, only hearing muffled grumbling, wouldn't get alarmed and further wind him up. He only calmed down once we had him neutered. I think the RSPCA should have done that before rehoming him!
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:40 am

Tara is a canine pee factory. Maximum of 2 hours between walkies, or there's laundry to be done. Tonight Mrs. T left for work at 3, I got home at 6. Pee on the floor, the dog bed, and the futon. Four loads of laundry.
Privvy Counselor

Postby IspywithmeI on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:08 am

My turtle seems happier than ever since I give her regelar treatments with warm water. Normally the water is just room temperature. When I fill it up with warmer water she goes wild with energy. Swimming against the edge of the baby bath to beg for food. If I give it to her I have to use a spoon for feeding to prevent her from biting my fingers.

By the way she likes cat food (the fleshy kind) she seems to prefer poultry flavour. :fsm_float:
IspywithmeI
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:57 am

Do you have a heat lamp for your turtle?

ET, oh dear! Tara sounds like hard work! How is she getting on with the feline population?
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby DavidH on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:34 am

Hi, Tigger!
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion