Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby PKMKII on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:51 am

L.A. and Boston win their division series, advance to the NL and AL league championships, respectively.

And the post-game psychedelic acid trip interview:
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:49 am

Sunday was a pretty good day for Boston sports. The Patriots dumped the Saints at the last second, and David Ortiz blasted a grand slam to propel the Red Sox to a dramatic win.

This should be the lasting image from the Sox game:

and this is the one for the Pats game:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PKMKII on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:03 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:This should be the lasting image from the Sox game:

Torii Hunter's being eaten by the stadium!

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:and this is the one for the Pats game:

That's pretty much the expression Eli Manning has been making all season:
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:22 am

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:21 am

Boston wins the World Series, first time finishing one in Boston since, a long time ago. David Ortiz is the MVP (natch), batted .688 in the series, as well as a .760 OBP, 1.188 slugging, 1.948 OPS, 2 home runs, 6 RBI, 7 runs, and reached base a total of 19 times.

PKMKII

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:16 pm

PKMKII wrote:Boston wins the World Series, first time finishing one in Boston since, a long time ago. David Ortiz is the MVP (natch), batted .688 in the series, as well as a .760 OBP, 1.188 slugging, 1.948 OPS, 2 home runs, 6 RBI, 7 runs, and reached base a total of 19 times.

:haha: :drinking: :moon: :haha:
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby PKMKII on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:16 pm

justin Blackmon gets suspended for violating NFL banned substance policy. Seeing as how the Jaguars are 0-8, can't be steroids.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:12 am

Well that's embarrassing

PKMKII

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:37 pm

I may have gotten distracted by the idea of sleeping in until 9am but I forgot about the rugby :facewall: Fortunately I managed to see the highlights, Chris Ashton seems to be getting back on form. I suspect it's all going to go downhill against New Zealand next week though :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Mexico beats New Zealand 4-2, earn a spot in Brazil next year. Oribe Peralta scored a hat trick within a space of about twenty minutes. I know the Kiwis aren't exactly a soccer superpower, but still, damn.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Hideo Nomo becomes first Japanese player to be nominated for the American Basehall Hall of Fame. Probably won't get in, but still a significant milestone for the sport.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:00 pm

World Cup group stage draws announced.

'Merica is in Group G, with one European powerhouse, a lesser European powerhouse, and the country that knocked us out of the World Cup last time. :bummer:

PKMKII

Postby Hmmbug on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:45 pm

Jacoby Ellsbury, Red Sox center fielder extraordinaire and my fantasy team saver, signs wit the Evil Empire: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2 ... ury-mccann.

The Wall Street Journal Reports: "The Empire Strikes Back".
Hmmbug
Conchigliette Convert

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:32 am

Hmmbug wrote:Jacoby Ellsbury, Red Sox center fielder extraordinaire and my fantasy team saver, signs wit the Evil Empire: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2 ... ury-mccann.

Not to worry. He'll go down with a hangnail in the first week of the season and be out until September.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby PKMKII on Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:50 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
Hmmbug wrote:Jacoby Ellsbury, Red Sox center fielder extraordinaire and my fantasy team saver, signs wit the Evil Empire: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2 ... ury-mccann.

Not to worry. He'll go down with a hangnail in the first week of the season and be out until September.

No see, per the Yankees' "no-fun" policy, he'll have to shave his beard. Once the beard is gone, his baseball power goes with it.

PKMKII

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion