Quote out of context

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Quote out of context

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:Only if I get to choose... going through puberty backwards.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:46 pm

daftbeaker wrote:It's getting to a pretty sad state of affairs when I have...to get...shit lessons. Stuck indoors waiting for...the cake-and-arse party of this morning. ... In other good news, I was given access to the CLEAPPS website last week. It's full of various...fun stuff, including making contact explosives and methane detonations.

Sounds loike yer loife is in thee crapper. Ye needs ter'ave a drink an relax, lad!
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby PKMKII on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:28 pm

bonsaiherb wrote:I certainly do not like the black representation for my county.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby bonsaiherb on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Postby PKMKII on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:28 pm

bonsaiherb wrote: I certainly do not like the black representation for my county.

I really have no clue how this inferred and selective potential racist "quote" got pulled out of something I had written. PKMKII must have a lot of time on his hands.

I lived and survived the 'Combat Zone' of Boston and went to High School in a "BLACK" neighborhood and learned not to discriminate. My first Thanksgiving in Boston was being invited by black neighbors next door and it was the best Thanksgiving I ever had and this white raisin was totally accepted!

Latter in life I became a State elector for Jessie Jackson when he ran for President. Decades later, I may have chosen differently. Do I like the Al Sharptons of this country. NOPE! Nor do I like the McConnell's, Boeners or Nancy Pilosi's either. Do I admire Nelson Mandela or Bishop Desmond Tutu, You BET - far more than Barrack Obama.

"BLACK" does not always mean a reference to race it can simply refer to a mood, 'very dark because there is no light.' Sometimes it is a discredit mark like I 'got a black mark for being late.'

Doomsday-ish, disaster, calamity, gloomy "black despair" Yada Yada

In the quote above, I may have been referring to how other countries perceive us, often forgetting their own negative pasts and the good things that America has also achieved. Considering the mid-term elections, i am, YES in a 'black' mood as to our future, but as I see it Europe has its own headaches that include racism, nationalism and anti-Muslim backlashes.

Seeing this tarring, I can only wonder how any politician manages to avoid such mistakes, and once made they are NEVER forgiven or forgotten by the media.
I certainly do not find this "quote out of context" forum amusing enlightening or worth following!

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:30 pm

bonsaiherb wrote:I certainly do not find this "quote out of context" forum amusing enlightening or worth following!

Don't read it then?
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby bonsaiherb on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:36 pm

Don't read it then?

No problem to a point Daftbeaker. BTW are you on the 'Welcome Committee' for this FSM discussion group? If not you should apply as it is so swimming in new commentators aside from the few diehards like you. BTW, your line needed an explanation point not a question mark!

Quotes that are taken out of context or not even explained by the poster belong in the gutter media.

WHY? This simply exacerbates poor political coverage when the media neither forgives or forgets. We all make daft remarks at times and that seems to be all that is remembered. Dan Quayle, V.P. of George Bush Sr. made a name for himself as being rattled and sometimes evasive, and yes screwing up on questions. He was basically labeled as a half-wit, despite the fact he was the only one campaigning while George couldn't even negotiate a checkout stand.

Mind you he was campaigning for TWO as George didn't give a hoot. Jet lag will do that to one and speaking as a former Democrat I found the treatment of him both unfair and unkind. Listening later on two radio talk shows I found him to be quite coherent and intelligent. More than I can say for ...

Out of context quotes are a blight on the media and to society as a whole, not to mention the person it was cribbed from. On the Internet side of things such postings will forever exist and cannot be removed once posted. As my former post noted, I do not appreciate that!

"Don't read it then," will allow further tarnished remarks. I will never abrogate my ability to defend myself from verbal thuggery!
bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Monobaz on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:29 pm

bonsaiherb wrote:
.... Daftbeaker .... screwing up .... and .... the .... half-wit .... campaigning for .... verbal thuggery!
"There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages." Ruth Hurmence Green
Monobaz
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby bonsaiherb on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Monobaz on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:29 pm

bonsaiherb wrote:
.... Daftbeaker .... screwing up .... and .... the .... half-wit .... campaigning for .... verbal thuggery!

OMG. This simply proves my point. Daftbeaker ... screwing up ... half-wit (all referred to how the media treated Dan Quayle , sane for "campaigning for." All had to do with an election long ago and nothing to do with your inferred suggestion that I tagged them to Daftbeaker.
Same for "verbal thuggery" That would have referred to PKMKII, not to the above.

Did you graduate from primary school twice? If so you just proved how "QUOTES" can be inappropriately used and twisted to fit a very warped message.

Monobaz you better eat the birdseed without the marijuana in it and while your at it, get rid of that looney leader you have. Then again, enough Australian birdbrains did vote for him.

I will add that I am surprised that the moderator of this forum allows such 'creative editing' of what I did NOT SAY!
bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:05 pm

bonsaiherb wrote:
Don't read it then?

No problem to a point Daftbeaker. BTW are you on the 'Welcome Committee' for this FSM discussion group? If not you should apply as it is so swimming in new commentators aside from the few diehards like you. BTW, your line needed an explanation point not a question mark!

No, it needed a question mark as it was a question.

If it offends you that much, why are you reading it? It's in the fun, non-serious bit and clearly labelled as being such. For all your claims that Americans understand humour (or humor for the colonials) you seem unable to recognise someone not being serious.

Just to give you some examples from earlier in the thread:
Roy Hunter wrote:
Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:Only if I get to choose... going through puberty backwards.

Roy Hunter wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:wedding tackle?

Roy Hunter wrote:It's very small, thank you.

:whistle:
Have you been talking to my wife? Or did you Skype me when I was drunk?

Roland Deschain wrote:^ :haha:

Roy Hunter wrote:...last night...I...was lying...with a...dog...

Roy Hunter wrote:...last night...I was...enthusiastically licking...

Roy Hunter wrote:...just because I...have...cruise liners only deeper...up...the bottom...

Please feel free to retaliate as much as possible :haha:

Just for clarity, Rev has only gone through puberty once (the normal way), I have no idea about the size of Roy's genitals (and really don't want to know) and to the best of my knowledge no one has ever managed to fit a cruise liner in their rectum :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:32 pm

daftbeaker wrote:to the best of my knowledge no one has ever managed to fit a cruise liner in their rectum :haha:
Are you setting up that old joke "Rectum? Damn near killed 'um!"
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:to the best of my knowledge no one has ever managed to fit a cruise liner in their rectum :haha:
Are you setting up that old joke "Rectum? Damn near killed 'um!"

Actually, that was completely unintentional but thankyou for crediting me with that level of forethought :idiot:

daftbeaker

Postby bonsaiherb on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:58 pm

Daftbeaker,

I near ended my comment to another poster suggesting that you could probably defend your position better than he. I was correct.
Quote out of context

Postby lordpunkmonk on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:12 am
This is the quote out of context thread the objective is to take someone's quote and make it sound different by taking it out of contex

I went back to the original post and still find the topic to be upsetting. I enjoy humor (humour) as much as anyone, but twisting ones words around as was done in the post before becomes anything but funny. I am equally a political junkie and have seen how words taken out of context have destroyed some campaigns.

Perhaps we should attempt to point out the lines leading to the quote and the ones following it - then show how the quote could be misinterpreted.

That would be a far better usage than 'making it sound different by taking it out of context."
I respect good humor, satire and irony ... this thread has become something else, despite your fine examples.

Now why follow it??? Because at this point I AM INVOLVED! This forum has taken something I posted on the Internet and made it into something else. Had I not stumbled onto it, God knows how many more posts could have continued before I could attempt to make a correction.

That is the sad thing about the Internet. Finally, I think this forum can and should find more creative ways than to take things out of context or in the last case prevent total misinterpretation as to what was posted. FSM should be better than that.
bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:56 am

To my warped mind, the most appropriate use of this topic is to take some poor unsuspecting post and turn it into sexual innuendo. The more obtuse, the better.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby bonsaiherb on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:18 am

Thank you ET,

I coulda lived with the first thing, but not the second. When you put a ID to something with quotes then start adding ..., ...., .... comments that apply to something totally else, then it is no longer funny or humorous. If my real name had been attached to this, I would be calling in more than a moderator to deal with it.

I WILL follow this thread now more than ever, simply to counter any further misquoting or out of context postings by what appears to be very bored people. The media is already filled with such garbage and if FSM needs it so be it, ... but I will be watching and advise other posters to watch this thread as well.

This juvenile and parochial thread is one that should be retired!
bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:26 am

Roy Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes