Very important!!!! New members must read!!!!

General Forum Announcements

Moderators: All Things Mods, Other Stuff Mods, Serious Mods, phpBB2 - Administrators

Very important!!!! New members must read!!!!

Postby Capellini on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:45 pm

We are having server issues, and as many of you noticed, one of the results is that we're getting creamed by spam bots. As a result, I am advocating the immediate deletion of ANY new account with a link. This won't get all of them, but a lot, and it will make it easier on CQ and I to not have to look at each link.

This means if you're a new member and not a spammer, but you put a link in your profile, you will be deleted!!!!! And since all new members are expected to read the important material in this area first, I have no sympathy for you if that happens.

Once you've been here for a while, and have made a few posts (say 10ish), you'll be safe and you can add a link to your profile. But when I go into the administrative panel and see an account with no posts and a link, it's toast.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby lordpunkmonk on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:33 pm

wow I am lucky I came before this happened

well good luck on your attempts to stop the waves of spam bots from spamming the threads

(wow the internet reminds me of a video game)
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Re: Very important!!!! New members must read!!!!

Postby PantyGnawer on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:09 am

gerrad wrote:this would be helpful for sure, i am new here and would like to stay at a safe place like this for a long time, where people like you work so hard!

Heeees a witch! He aint got no post count but ee keeps on postin!
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby BumbleBee on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:26 pm

^ do you get an increased post count from posting in this section?
I am a product of massive consumption- it's not my fault it's how I'm programmed to function
BumbleBee
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:31 pm

BumbleBee wrote:^ do you get an increased post count from posting in this section?

no
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby DaveL on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:55 am

PantyGnawer wrote:
gerrad wrote:this would be helpful for sure, i am new here and would like to stay at a safe place like this for a long time, where people like you work so hard!

Heeees a witch! He aint got no post count but ee keeps on postin!

Only if he's made of wood :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby ChowMein on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:21 pm

Throw 'em inna pon' fer FSM's sake !

Letz sea iffin 'ee kin float !

We muss noze fer shore !
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby plumberbob on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:28 pm

I've been posting on Hate Mail, Comments on..., and Kansas school... threads for a while, and have had some discussions with a few Pastafarian regulars. This is my first foray into the discussion forum. I'll try to follow the rules. This should be fun.
Thanks
RAmen
plumberbob
Conchigliette Convert

Postby avatar42 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Where does it say that looking here is a must? The only reason I noticed it is because I got lost looking for the new arrivals thread...
You should really add a link to this from the "Important: URLs in profiles" thread in the "Standards and Practices" forum until you revert back to common practice.
To lie, to sleep, perchance to dream...
--
When Every Day Is A Good Day To Die
and
When Every Day Is A Bad Hair Day
--
First Rule of Wizards: people are stupid
--
"I'll give you a hint. It begins with 'L', ends in 'd', and has an 'awful goo' in the middle."
--
You are grabbed, slimed, crushed, and gobbled. You are dead, Dead, DEAD! Any questions?
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Capellini on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:18 am

avatar42 wrote:Where does it say that looking here is a must? The only reason I noticed it is because I got lost looking for the new arrivals thread...
You should really add a link to this from the "Important: URLs in profiles" thread in the "Standards and Practices" forum until you revert back to common practice.

At the top of this section, it says "Welcome To The Neighborhood (((START HERE OR ELSE!! SERIOUSLY, WE MEAN IT!!!))) That covers all 3 headings under the section.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Lincoln.Alhazred on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Then, if I understand I don't have any problem with the link in my signature. Am I okay? :fsm_float:
Test everything, believe nothing. :fsm_float:
http://www.vampiretemple.com/
Lincoln.Alhazred
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby hayson337 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Dear Capellini,

Can you put together a new member email that has all of these instructions and maybe a step by step explanation for what you want from all new users? This way Newbies can prove themselves quickly without having to stubble through the instructions listed all over the forums.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks for reading this.

Capellini wrote:We are having server issues, and as many of you noticed, one of the results is that we're getting creamed by spam bots. As a result, I am advocating the immediate deletion of ANY new account with a link. This won't get all of them, but a lot, and it will make it easier on CQ and I to not have to look at each link.

This means if you're a new member and not a spammer, but you put a link in your profile, you will be deleted!!!!! And since all new members are expected to read the important material in this area first, I have no sympathy for you if that happens.

Once you've been here for a while, and have made a few posts (say 10ish), you'll be safe and you can add a link to your profile. But when I go into the administrative panel and see an account with no posts and a link, it's toast.
Rev. Pirate Jason E. Lee
hayson337
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Dechujoh64 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:22 am

hayson337 wrote:Dear Capellini,

Can you put together a new member email that has all of these instructions and maybe a step by step explanation for what you want from all new users? This way Newbies can prove themselves quickly without having to stubble through the instructions listed all over the forums.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks for reading this.

Capellini wrote:We are having server issues, and as many of you noticed, one of the results is that we're getting creamed by spam bots. As a result, I am advocating the immediate deletion of ANY new account with a link. This won't get all of them, but a lot, and it will make it easier on CQ and I to not have to look at each link.

You would think they would do something like that. But no they haven't done it yet. there are other ideas floating around in the forms right now that could help them.

Because they would rather fight spam bots in hand-to-hand combat rather than finding better ways to stop them.

Because on the 7th( I think) of this month I could not get back on this website to check up on stuff from about noon my time 8 p.m. and when I finally was able to get back on the birthday list had gone from about 15 people to about 50 people. Also, on the 5th the birthday list was at 68 people with only 21 being ( most likely )actual people. I say this because I don't think somebody would be stupid enough just to put four random letters and three numbers as their name like this(Dhok873) and others that look awfully the same. One final thing in order to actually know that it's a spambot you'll see the example name that I put up there and the other ones from the spambot all have the same age. The last page that I can remember that was on 5th was 46 years old. You had one other real person that had signed up to the forum that was 46 years old. The rest of them were spambots. Because I do not think that real people would slam their fists on the keyboard and only accept the first four letters that appeared and the first three numbers that appeared and put them together like the "name"up above.

I mean they got rid of an actual person who did this stupid spam--->
effective August 31, 2013 at 1:00am Eastern Standard time I will stop logging on to this forum from work.

I want to read this stuff at my house.
Than get rid of "Dhok873" if you know what I mean. If you want to find out who wrote this you can still click on any page that is left up there with his name but you will not be able to click on his name.

There has to be another way to get rid of spam and not actual people
What you have said is a good idea, what others have said( that is still floating around on this forum) that combats the issue of spam are most likely good ideas. [I mean at nationstates another forum I go to you have to put forward a link to your own "nation" in order to talk on any of the different Forum Pages. Nationstate's Own or another Group's (within nationstates) Forum.] I know we can't do that here, but there has to be something we can do
I mean there has to be an even better way of implementing Cap's own idea.

But to finish this off all I can say is maybe you should PM this to the administrators and the moderators that still come here on a semi day-to-day basis to see if maybe one of them may know how to implement that. BUT I still doubt it will happen.

***this is not an ad hominem this is a critique of how a certain issue is handled. Because hayson337 posted the above quote and I just made a response.Also, I have experienced what was reported in Cap's post about server issues. Also, I am still sorry for the previous Ad hom to WoE, but I think spam needs to be eradicated from any site, but not real people doing stupid spam (comments). (if any of you must know what I'm talking about here just look at my previous posts)

and as always...
May the pasta be with you.
RAmen.
Pope Dechujoh is the name.
Oh, here is a list of things that I have writin:
Click the link->The Book of Dechujoh.:
Letter to the Risians. (14 Chapters.) has been writin
Letter to the Udonites. (2 Chpts.) has been writin
Letters between D and M the Udonite. (6 Chpts)has been writin
Letters to the Fiorites is next. Started on.
Revelations 3: The Scroll of the 7 Sealed Pastas(17 Chpts)has been writin
Image<---T.A.R.D.I.S
Dechujoh64
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Dechujoh64 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:26 am

hayson337 wrote:Dear Capellini,

Just a suggestion.

Thanks for reading this.

You would think they would do something like that. But no they haven't done it yet. there are other ideas floating around in the forms right now that could help them.

Because they would rather fight spam bots in hand-to-hand combat rather than finding better ways to stop them.

Because on the 7th( I think) of this month I could not get back on this website to check up on stuff from about noon my time 8 p.m. and when I finally was able to get back on the birthday list had gone from about 15 people to about 50 people. Also, on the 5th the birthday list was at 68 people with only 21 being ( most likely )actual people. I say this because I don't think somebody would be stupid enough just to put four random letters and three numbers as their name like this(Dhok873) and others that look awfully the same. One final thing in order to actually know that it's a spambot you'll see the example name that I put up there and the other ones from the spambot all have the same age. The last page that I can remember that was on 5th was 46 years old. You had one other real person that had signed up to the forum that was 46 years old. The rest of them were spambots. Because I do not think that real people would slam their fists on the keyboard and only accept the first four letters that appeared and the first three numbers that appeared and put them together like the "name"up above.

I mean they got rid of an actual person who did this stupid spam--->
effective August 31, 2013 at 1:00am Eastern Standard time I will stop logging on to this forum from work.

I want to read this stuff at my house.
Than get rid of "Dhok873" if you know what I mean. If you want to find out who wrote this you can still click on any page that is left up there with his name but you will not be able to click on his name.

There has to be another way to get rid of spam and not actual people
What you have said is a good idea, what others have said( that is still floating around on this forum) that combats the issue of spam are most likely good ideas. [I mean at nationstates another forum I go to you have to put forward a link to your own "nation" in order to talk on any of the different Forum Pages. Nationstate's Own or another Group's (within nationstates) Forum.] I know we can't do that here, but there has to be something we can do
I mean there has to be an even better way of implementing Cap's own idea.

But to finish this off all I can say is maybe you should PM this to the administrators and the moderators that still come here on a semi day-to-day basis to see if maybe one of them may know how to implement that. BUT I still doubt it will happen.

***this is not an ad hominem this is a critique of how a certain issue is handled. Because hayson337 posted the above quote and I just made a response.Also, I have experienced what was reported in Cap's post about server issues. Also, I am still sorry for the previous Ad hom to WoE, but I think spam needs to be eradicated from any site, but not real people doing stupid spam (comments). (if any of you must know what I'm talking about here just look at my previous posts)

Let talk about this Like gentlemen. I am just a little tiffed about one recent thing.
but as always...
May the pasta be with you.
RAmen.
Pope Dechujoh is the name.
Oh, here is a list of things that I have writin:
Click the link->The Book of Dechujoh.:
Letter to the Risians. (14 Chapters.) has been writin
Letter to the Udonites. (2 Chpts.) has been writin
Letters between D and M the Udonite. (6 Chpts)has been writin
Letters to the Fiorites is next. Started on.
Revelations 3: The Scroll of the 7 Sealed Pastas(17 Chpts)has been writin
Image<---T.A.R.D.I.S
Dechujoh64
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Capellini on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:49 am

Administrators will not comment publicly on why previously active members have been banned. Additionally, we 1. have limited abilities to edit the php code that runs this board and 2. do this for free on our free time. All good ideas are considered, and implemented when and if possible.

If you are curious as to why active members get banned, I encourage you to continue to be disruptive by using an announcement thread to make complaints about things for which you have no actual knowledge.

Last I checked, the number of fake accounts here has no actual impact on your experience here. So I suggest you continue to participate in the community, in accordance with our rules and guidelines, and let the administrators and moderators deal with management issues.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Return to Announcements