Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:35 am

Still listening to Tommy Emmanuel stuff.

P.S. Disco sucks.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PKMKII on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Hanzel und Gretyl - More German that German

It's a fun, danceable industrial song, but it's also entertaining in that it's taking the piss out of the genre's cliches.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Charlie Clark.

Charlie used to be in a band called Astrid, along with Willie Campell (still on the circuit hereabouts), Gareth Russell (currently playing with Idlewild), and Gary Thom (of The Company, with former Meth O.D. frontman Roy Møller and Belle & Sebastian's Stevie Jackson).

Astrid were a great wee band. They had great songs, great harmonies and they could play. I was a contemporary, a friend, a fan. Glad to see Charlie doing so well.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:32 am

I am listening to Television 'marquee Moon'...only 40 years behind the times as usual!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Nothing just now. But tomorrow night, I will be listening to Alice Cooper playing at Cropredy in Oxfordshire. Then Friday night, 10cc. Then Saturday night, Fairport Convention.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby bacon on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:06 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Nothing just now. But tomorrow night, I will be listening to Alice Cooper playing at Cropredy in Oxfordshire. Then Friday night, 10cc. Then Saturday night, Fairport Convention.

Cool - That sounds like a lot of fun! I didn't know 10cc was still making the rounds.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby ChowMein on Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:13 am

10cc ! I can't believe that I'd forgotten about them . Loved Godley and Creme back in the day .l must dig up some of their stuff for a listen now .
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:04 pm

Meet On The Ledge, Fairport Convention.
1: Sing along to this in a highly-charged emotional state, along with 15,000 - 20,000 strangers / new friends at Cropredy.
2: Try not to cry.
3: Cry a lot.
Not going back.
Bastards made me cry.
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:21 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Meet On The Ledge, Fairport Convention.
1: Sing along to this in a highly-charged emotional state, along with 15,000 - 20,000 strangers / new friends at Cropredy.
2: Try not to cry.
3: Cry a lot.
Not going back.
Bastards made me cry.

I did plenty of that in my day...they were great weekends. The first Cropredy I went to (which appears to be set in the English/Oxfordshire version of the garden of Eden/paradise) coincided with the Perseid Meteor Shower so you had the Music, the beer (and whatever else) and Shooting Stars...it was Heaven.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:23 pm

Best Song Ever by One Direction.

It seems strangely familiar (and that is a strong contender for best song ever or at least best song for pissed shout-along in pub karaoke).
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Ham Nox on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Lake Pontchartrain.

My sister is big into Ludo right now, this song is strangely catchy.
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:59 pm

The Spaghetti Western Orchestra - Live at the Royal Albert Hall
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:00 am

I'm listening to the voices inside my head.

That's gonna have to be the name of the next band I'm in.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Hmmbug on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:11 pm

Everything Tim Minchin - Rock and Roll Nerd, Thank You God, White WIne in the Sun, Not Perfect, The Good Book, The Pope Song, etc.
Hmmbug
Conchigliette Convert

Postby PKMKII on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:55 pm

So they did this music tie-in thing with Games of Thrones called Catch the Throne: Mixtape. Interesting thing is it's all hip-hop/rap artists rapping about A Song of Fire and Ice.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors