The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

This is the section that includes the forum rules, and standard operating procedures. You can't post to the rest of the forum until you've posted here. Don't bother trying.

Moderators: Other Stuff Mods, Serious Mods, All Things Mods, phpBB2 - Administrators

Re: The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:33 pm

juicegiver wrote:pakispam?

Spam from pakistan.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:29 am

pinkospam
-noun
Spam from commies.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:30 am

oh snap, wrong thread.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:30 am

Turkmenispam
-noun
spam sent by Turkish men
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby juicegiver on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Zankou wrote:i had been wondering about this..."the freaky post here first" thing was probably what caused them to leave.

I myself have pm-ed a few people and told them where to post first.

Capellini wrote:Seeing as it says right there that you have to post there first, I'm not sure how confusing it can really be.

I generally see people who can't figure that out as the type who like to jump right in rather than read rules and standards and such, and in this community, that's a bad thing.

pieces o' nine wrote:DIE SPAMMERS DIE

I think lots of unposted material will never take place because user were pre-emptively banned for making an error in the posting process. My first account was under the name juicetaker. My account was deleted and my home IP address has been permanently banned. I'm sure there are many disappointed Pastafarians that will never join our discussions because their IP address has been banned after failing to dot their I or to cross their t. It is a very successful way to limit spam. I haven't seen any spam since I have started using these forums. So I don't know if more lenient terms is a good idea or not. How many uncontributing Pastarians should we pay for a spam free forum? I guess there really isn't a perfect answer.

juicegiver formely known as juicetaker for about 10 minutes
juicegiver

Postby Dechujoh64 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:11 pm

juicegiver wrote:
Zankou wrote:i had been wondering about this..."the freaky post here first" thing was probably what caused them to leave.

Capellini wrote:Seeing as it says right there that you have to post there first, I'm not sure how confusing it can really be.

I generally see people who can't figure that out as the type who like to jump right in rather than read rules and standards and such, and in this community, that's a bad thing.

I think lots of unposted material will never take place because user were pre-emptively banned for making an error in the posting process. My first account was under the name juicetaker. My account was deleted and my home IP address has been permanently banned. I'm sure there are many disappointed Pastafarians that will never join our discussions because their IP address has been banned after failing to dot their I or to cross their t. It is a very successful way to limit spam. I haven't seen any spam since I have started using these forums. So I don't know if more lenient terms is a good idea or not. How many uncontributing Pastarians should we pay for a spam free forum? I guess there really isn't a perfect answer.

I think that the IP Address banning should stop or at least IPs be banned for a short time. But the only spam that is left is like what happened on Aug 5th. There was 30 odd "50 year olds" all put on maybe a couple hours after each other. Also they had websites it probably would've sent you to some malware website. and they all looked like this---> DerW5679 with Kim K. sex tape. The spam they need to get rid of is that CR@P. Because I think someone ("2468justme") just posted at Scripture and Lore and probably just got denied to post there. And we'll probably have his or hers IP banned from just not looking somewhere. and know how to post here first before posting anywhere else. It's just stupid to ban them forever there is a lot more fake BULLS#!T names and "Members" that needed to be taken off and not the person I just posted earlier.

May be warlord of elephants or somebody else to take care of that. it is just a disgrace to see many PAastafarians try to post something here as I've watched this happen constantly and I'm trying to p.m. them but it's just too late for them. GIVE Juicegiver back JUICETAKER. and make me a moderator at some level I'm floating around this page at least 10 hours a day. And on my mom's dialysis days I'm here from 9 in the morning to 2am. and on the other days I'm from noon to midnight. I think that will probably help save a lot of people from wanting to talk and then getting banned from something so small.

But I'm gonna stop my rant here and...
MAY the pasta be with you.
RAmen.
Pope Dechujoh is the name.
Oh, here is a list of things that I have writin:
Click the link->The Book of Dechujoh.:
Letter to the Risians. (14 Chapters.) has been writin
Letter to the Udonites. (2 Chpts.) has been writin
Letters between D and M the Udonite. (6 Chpts)has been writin
Letters to the Fiorites is next. Started on.
Revelations 3: The Scroll of the 7 Sealed Pastas(17 Chpts)has been writin
Image<---T.A.R.D.I.S
Dechujoh64
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Dechujoh64 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Dechujoh64 wrote:
juicegiver wrote:

I think that the IP Address banning should stop or at least IPs be banned for a short time. But the only spam that is left is like what happened on Aug 5th. There was 30 odd "50 year olds" all put on maybe a couple hours after each other. Also they had websites it probably would've sent you to some malware website. and they all looked like this---> DerW5679 with Kim K. sex tape. The spam they need to get rid of is that CR@P. Because I think someone ("2468justme") just posted at Scripture and Lore and probably just got denied to post there. And we'll probably have his or hers IP banned from just not looking somewhere. and know how to post here first before posting anywhere else. It's just stupid to ban them forever there is a lot more fake BULLS#!T names and "Members" that needed to be taken off and not the person I just posted earlier.

May be warlord of elephants or somebody else to take care of that. it is just a disgrace to see many PAastafarians try to post something here as I've watched this happen constantly and I'm trying to p.m. them but it's just too late for them. GIVE Juicegiver back JUICETAKER. and make me a moderator at some level I'm floating around this page at least 10 hours a day. And on my mom's dialysis days I'm here from 9 in the morning to 2am. and on the other days I'm from noon to midnight. I think that will probably help save a lot of people from wanting to talk and then getting banned from something so small.

But I'm gonna stop my rant here and...
MAY the pasta be with you.
RAmen.

I use Google Chrome so that is why I'm here all day.
Pope Dechujoh is the name.
Oh, here is a list of things that I have writin:
Click the link->The Book of Dechujoh.:
Letter to the Risians. (14 Chapters.) has been writin
Letter to the Udonites. (2 Chpts.) has been writin
Letters between D and M the Udonite. (6 Chpts)has been writin
Letters to the Fiorites is next. Started on.
Revelations 3: The Scroll of the 7 Sealed Pastas(17 Chpts)has been writin
Image<---T.A.R.D.I.S
Dechujoh64
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Cap'n Tedward on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:55 pm

My first post wasn't here, and I didn't get banned, I just got a warning to post here first (and to RTFM).
@-->----
Cap'n Tedward
Pirates of the Red Swan
Cap'n Tedward
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:03 pm

So, we're upset that there are so very, very many inactive members -- the vast majority of which never bothered to post here or anywhere else on the board, and whose usernames, web addresses (and/or email addresses, which are not visible to the board) indicate them to be spam accounts.

And we're upset that so many are still cluttering up the member list, because admins/mods sometimes deal only with those who manage to post clear spam to the board -- a task which itself requires multiple check-ins each day.

And we're upset that admins/mods do not give more than a couple hours of their lives -- every single day -- to remove old, inactive spam accounts, even though this is not as easy as deleting, say, old emails.

And we're upset that new accounts which don't reflect any activity (sometimes the member is only "active" for the one minute clocked on board time that it takes to set up an account, before moving on to make many, many others) go through spurts of being purged after a grace period (in order to halt the population explosion of inactive, spam accounts) because these should be simultaneously removed post-haste *and* given the benefit of the doubt as potentially valuable new members.

And we're upset that people who cannot or will not read the instructions on how to join and post here may feel bad and/or miss out; no other forum on the entire internet has any joining or posting guidelines. Admins/mods should extend their volunteer service hours to the board, gently leading would-be members to the correct thread, each and every time. Apparently, we're *not* upset about the dozens of "misplaced" posts for shoes, purses, clothing, watches, sporting apparel, internet games, intimate encounters, energy drinks, weight loss schemes, banking schemes, services described in foreign languages, etc etc etc, which are deleted Every Single Day. We're *not* upset about having to wade through reams of spam to find legitimate posts, because the mods and admins *are* doing their thankless jobs.

We're upset because we haven't seen any spam, and are therefore guessing -- based on no evidence and no research -- that that is because there *is* none. We assume that the dozens --and on the worst days, HUNDREDS -- of new accounts deleted or banned outright must be legitimate new members, despite their IP, email, username, or associated website red-flagged by reliable spam-blocker services.

We're upset because we're assuming, again with no evidence and no research, that the rate of active new members joining has plummeted from some past, ideal norm.

juicegiver wrote:
pieces o'nine wrote:creating their spammy little accounts every day. Some spammers are actually quite industrious and do not appear to have any real world responsibilities to interfere with their activity on various forums.

I didn't realize there were so many phoney accounts. Ignore me. I've never managed an interactive website. :blush:

juicegiver

What has changed since July 27, 2013, when this was posted?

Tell you what. It's a new month. Let's shake it up.
We'll leave all the old, inactive, zero posts, never checked in again after registration accounts alone, on the off-chance that one of them may be moved to post something.

We'll leave the "birthday" listing alone every day, even though there is seldom more than one or two legit accounts salvaged when deleting the inactive, spammy ones (in line with previous demands to eliminate them).

We'll leave all of each day's new spam accounts in place. I can assure you from painful experience that benign neglect encourages spammers to multiply exponentially, building up a horrendous backlog for someone to deal with again, eventually. It also adds pages of "new members" @ 40 members per page -- every single day -- of inactive, never logged-back-in, clearly spam accounts, cluttering up the member list further.

We'll only address those spammers which make it through the filters to post to the board. We'll do this for the month of August. Last night the memberlist was 14 names short of 744 pages, or 29,746 members. Let's see what the page- and member-count looks like at the end of August.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby juicegiver on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:12 pm

pieces o'nine wrote:we're upset that people who cannot or will not read the instructions on how to join and post here may feel bad and/or miss out;

Yes. That does upset some of us. We like reading funny stuff. There is some funny stuff that we will never get to read.

juicegiver
juicegiver

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:15 pm

Pieces,

I understand your frustration with juicegiver, but I don't understand why you would willingly do something that appears as though it would make your job harder (or at least give you one really big clean up project at the end of the month) just to prove a point to someone who has shown in multiple threads that he/she would rather believe whatever is in his/her head regardless of evidence than accept the explanations given from people who have more knowledge and/or first-hand experience, someone who would rather try to bend an entire religion to fit his/her wants than to take the time to learn why it is the way it is first.

I really don't think it's worth the effort to prove this point.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Cap'n Tedward on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:38 am

1) I volunteer as an admin
2) Is it possible to modify the login code to include a couple kinds of Captcha?
@-->----
Cap'n Tedward
Pirates of the Red Swan
Cap'n Tedward
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:55 am

If Pieces gets angry enough to hit something, I volunteer to be spanked.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Warlord of Elephants on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:04 am

This is my favorite, new member shows up, new member "knows" how to run the board. Cap. Is finishing her dissertation. I andPoN am trying to take care of the board, while she does this. We get a LOT more than 40 spammers per day. I have 23 waiting for me right now, I need to get rid of but instead I am dealing with this. No, members don't see the spam, it's hidden. You make your first post in the proper section, then wait for it to be approved, the you make anther post somewhere else, then that gets approved. Juice didn't PoN ask for you IP address at home? If you have it send it to me and I will see what I can do. In the mean time either stop griping about this place of leave if it makes you so unhappy, SiN WoE.
"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

I devoured my 'good' twin in utero

"Doctor Evil! I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called "Mister," thank you very much."
Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:24 am

It happens everywhere, I'm afraid. On the HAF we just had a newbie join today, complaining snootily about our procedures. We gently pointed out the error of his ways. :whip:
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

PreviousNext

Return to Standards and Practices