What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby black bart on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:46 am

Which is worse though:

Being in a lifeboat with a tiger...you know he wants to eat you...or

Being in a lifeboat with other humans who may be thinking of eating you...or

Being in a lifeboat with Gerard Depardieu?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:57 am

Being in a lifeboat with Samuel L. Jackson reading 'Moby Dick' to you:
Herman Melville wrote:Call me Ishmael, Mother :furious: er! Call me Ishmael! Does Captain Ahab look like a bitch to you? Know what they call a Blubberburger in France? I am sick to death of these mother :furious: ing whales in this mother :furious: ing lifeboat!
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rainswept on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:42 am

Caught World War Z. Enjoyed it.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:35 am

Rainswept wrote:Caught World War Z. Enjoyed it.
Going to see it when I get paid. Lots of the Philadelphia bits were actually shot in Glasgow, so looking forward to seeing it.

Also, we can supply our own undead in huge quantities...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:27 am

Roy Hunter wrote:
Rainswept wrote:Caught World War Z. Enjoyed it.
Going to see it when I get paid. Lots of the Philadelphia bits were actually shot in Glasgow, so looking forward to seeing it.

Also, we can supply our own undead in huge quantities...

:lol:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby bacon on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:39 am

The French Connection - Gene Hackman rocks - I bet police in NYC sometimes wish it was 1971 again.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:06 pm

bacon wrote:The French Connection - Gene Hackman rocks - I bet police in NYC sometimes wish it was 1971 again.
Second best car chase scene ever? Not sure if the Blues Brothers or Bullit is the best, but French Connection is probably number 2...

If that makes any sense...

No, I know it doesn't...
Roy Hunter

Postby bacon on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:08 am

Roy Hunter wrote:
bacon wrote:The French Connection - Gene Hackman rocks - I bet police in NYC sometimes wish it was 1971 again.
Second best car chase scene ever? Not sure if the Blues Brothers or Bullit is the best, but French Connection is probably number 2...

If that makes any sense...

No, I know it doesn't...

I found myself debating this as well - I haven't seen Bullit, but the Blues Brothers is definitely up there.

Watched The Shining about 3 times in the past two weeks. Between AMC, IFC and BBC America it seems like that movie is always on. Not complaining.

Oh and then I saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest before I fell asleep last night.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon

Postby black bart on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 am

The Artist...fantastic movie, deserved every Oscar it got and the dog should have got one.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:12 pm

A Disney movie called "Enchanted". Better than sitting in a psychiatrist's waiting room for two hours watching something like Fox News.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby PKMKII on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:19 am

Zero Dark Thirty. Really don't get why a lot of people thought it was torture propaganda. Torture was presented as being, at best, "meh" in getting results in the film, and it put a lot more emphasis on the traditional spy methods in terms of what led to Bin Laden's death.

That being said, it wasn't nearly as good as Bigelow's last film, Hurt Locker. The first half managed to simultaneously drag, while also never settling enough in one setting to get the story grounded. No character other than Chastain's had any depth, and it was rather evident that the film got reworked to reflect that they actually got Bin Laden.

Film before that was Silver Linings Playbook. Nice to see Robert De Niro doing a good dramatic role where he's not playing a caricature of himself.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Just back from Despicable Me 2.

It was everything I dreamed it would be.
No, really, we liked it.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Rainswept on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing is gold.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby bacon on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:26 am

Death Wish 2 was on this weekend as part of the Death Wish marathon on AMC. First of all, I was very surprised that there were 5 Death Wish movies made. I couldn't watch the entire marathon, as Death Wish 2 pretty much is the same as numbers 1, 3 and I'm guessing 4 and 5. My favorite part of 80's action movies is how automobiles seemed to be more explosive then. A simple head on collision could take out an entire city block.

Gang members from the 80's were also very interesting characters. Not only did they sport very effeminate dress and hair styles (they all looked like they were ready to break out into a dance number), they oozed an aura of greasiness that just shouted out - "I need a shower, badly."

Anyway, a great way to zone out for the night and I will give it 3 beer mugs for Charles Bronson being able to pull it off as a 60 year old action hero. :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Get your bake on. Image

bacon

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:13 pm

Rainswept wrote:Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing is gold.

Echoed. Also, we saw WWZ and Pacific Rim, enjoyed both. My one comment about WWZ is that the pacing near the end seemed a bit... off? Haven't been able to pinpoint it exactly, but the best I can say is that I wasn't expecting it to end when it did.

Since I hadn't seen the original Despicable Me, I watched that recently with the lady friend too, so we'll probably see the sequel this summer. Right now though, we're getting me caught up on The Godfather. Part II is tonight, it's quite exciting.

Also saw a Darren Arronofsky film called Pi, which was interesting.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors