What Is Love in FSM? (FSM vs The Media)

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

What Is Love in FSM? (FSM vs The Media)

Postby Aurum on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Dear Pastafarians

I am writing to you hoping to find a stronger understanding of your views and opinions of what 'love' is. I am hoping to compare this with the unrealistic views of what the media perceives 'love' to be.

The media looks at love as a purely romantic experience between two people with who experience an unrealistic never-ending attraction towards each other (which in reality is nothing more than lust). The media also displays love to be between family, friends, and even to objects (for example: one may love his car).

I would like to know how The Church Of The Flying Spaghetti Monster defines 'love', and what it means to be a Pastafarian. I have attached five questions below and your answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I look forward to your responses.

Sincerely,
Ben Goldsworthy :love:

1.How would The Church Of The Flying Spaghetti Monster define 'love'?
2.How do you and the other Pastafarians of The Church Of The Flying Spaghetti Monster view 'love'?
3.What types of love do you recognize? (for example: love towards a partner, love towards family and friends, love towards objects, etc.)
4.Do you find any forms of love unacceptable? (weather sexual or non-sexual)
5.How does your definition of love differ to how it is viewed on the media?
http://soundcloud.com/official-aurum
Aurum
Conchigliette Convert

Re: What Is Love in FSM? (FSM vs The Media)

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:25 pm

I don't know if the CotFSM has any stance on 'love', but my personal stance is close to that described by Robert Heinlein:

"Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own."

Also by Heinlein:

"Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often confuses one for the other, or assumes the greater the love, the greater the jealousy. In fact they are almost incompatible; both at once produce unbearable turmoil."
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Temp0ral on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Aurum wrote: 1.How would The Church Of The Flying Spaghetti Monster define 'love'?
2.How do you and the other Pastafarians of The Church Of The Flying Spaghetti Monster view 'love'?
3.What types of love do you recognize? (for example: love towards a partner, love towards family and friends, love towards objects, etc.)

1. The feeling of a cold beer and good pasta on a warm Summer day.
2. However we feel like. I love chocolate, for example.
3. All types of love.
4. I don't particularly love filling out forms.
5. I can't think of anything for this point.

I think the point of it all is that it's up to you.
Temp0ral
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:10 pm

Aurum wrote: 4. Do you find any forms of love unacceptable? (weather, sexual or non-sexual)

You're missing a comma there; FTFY. :lol:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Aurum on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:38 am

Any chance in some detailed answers?
I'm trying to write an essay on Love in the CotFSM, and the more answers the better :)
It would help me out so much!
http://soundcloud.com/official-aurum
Aurum
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Animalzilla on Wed May 08, 2013 10:00 am

Aurum wrote:

1.How would The Church Of The Flying Spaghetti Monster define 'love'?

This is my attempt at answering:

1. The COTFSM does not define love, defining something makes it less special.

2. I view love as awesome.

3. We regognise all love regarldess of what its for,

4. We do not find most forms of love unacceptable, those we do would include the love of hurting another being/entity ( For exampe child abusers )

5. Who cares about the media? we are all free thinking individuals, if we were not then we would all be christians.

I hope this helps :)
Animalzilla
Ziti Zealot

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed May 08, 2013 10:55 am

I feel like our Noodly Lord would define love as "really really really liking something, y'know?" or "how I feel about beer, midgets, and pirates." So if your response to the loss of something loved is to spitefully turn the a/c off and the heat up to 85 or 90 F, then you might be a pastafarian. :haha:

Funnily enough though, my definition comes from my philosophy professor who gives a Neo-Thomistic account. I paraphrase here: Love consists of the disinterested* desire for the well being of and union with the beloved. There's a slightly longer definition that probably wouldn't interest anyone not interested in philosophy. :P Final ends, acts of the will, that kind of thing.

*meaning simply that it's not a desire for some other end, like loving someone so that they love you, but loving them for the sake of loving them.

Then of course, this can be expressed differently as appropriate in different relationships, to answer #4. Appropriate things to do in order to have union with your nephew are different from appropriate things to do to have union with your partner.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Return to All Things FSM