Word of the Day

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Word of the Day

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:35 am

zoomer
-noun (Scots colloq.)
a person with an apparently endogenous neurological deficit which prevents them from sitting still and staying quiet. A zoomer will walk around (if not beaten up or arrested) for up to fifteen hours at a stretch, saying "Here, mate, sorry tae disturb ye, but huv ye goat a fag?* Aw, come on, geeza fag, I don't believe ye don't smoke ya prick, geeza fag! Naw, naw sorry, I don't mean tae insult ye, ye're a great guy, brand new, but geeza fag ya c**t!.."

screamer
-noun (Scots colloq.)
like a zoomer (cf), but usually fueled by alcohol or drug withdrawal. A screamer's periodicity is much shorter, and they can usually manage only an hour or two between being episodes of being beaten up or arrested. Their 'patter' usually incorporates references to various benzodiazepines rather than cigarettes: tems, jellies, eggs, valleys, blues, libs etc.

nugget
-noun (Scots colloq.)
like a zoomer (cf) or a screamer (cf), but without the manic inability to sit still. Nuggets are often mistaken for normal human beings right up until the point at which they start a fight over a matter of complete triviality, and are beaten up or arrested.

bam
-noun (Scots colloq.)
a bam will exhibit many of the same properties as a zoomer (cf), a screamer (cf) or a nugget (cf), but acts volitionally and deliberately, presumably because they like being beaten up or arrested. More sophisticated bams may engineer situations in which they cause nuggets, zoomers or screamers to get beaten up or arrested.

*Fag - cigarette
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:02 pm

sycosis
-noun
an inflammatory disease of the hair follicles, characterized by a pustular eruption.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby DavidH on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:08 pm

sycophant
-n.

A pachyderm with zits.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:23 pm

psychophant - n

A disturbed pachyderm
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:38 pm

psychopants
-noun
the underwear of insane people.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby pieces o'nine on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:16 pm

psychopence
-noun
the coinage of insane people.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby PKMKII on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:42 pm

amide
-noun
1. a metallic derivative of ammonia in which the −NH 2 group is retained, as potassium amide, KNH 2 .
2. an organic compound obtained by replacing the −OH group in acids by the −NH 2 group.
3. an organic compound formed from ammonia by replacing a hydrogen atom by an acyl group.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:07 pm

spamide
-noun
a protein-like molecule.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Ravi Oli on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:16 am

spermide [n]

an organic compound formed by dropping a sperm whale and a bowl of petunias from several miles above the planet.
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:53 am

spamade
-noun
a soft drink made with carbonated water, sugar and spam.

spermade
-noun
a soft drink made with... no I'll stop now.
Roy Hunter

Postby DavidH on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:12 am

bmide
-n.

A later version of amide
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Ravi Oli on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:55 pm

betamide [n]

a developmental amide
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby DavidH on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:57 am

betamice
-n. pl.

mutant rodents
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby PKMKII on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:57 am

ottava
-adverb
(of notes in a score) at an octave higher than written (when placed above the staff) or lower than written (when placed below the staff).

PKMKII

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Ottava
Lesser known, younger cousin of Attila.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes