Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby black bart on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:45 am

Wales 30 England 3
Magnificent!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Ho-hum another fight, another title defense, another #1 contender who can't even score a point against GSP. 5 rounds fought, GSP wins every round on every judges scorecard. He's even classy about the idiot he beat "He promoted the fight really well" by talking trash for months.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:31 pm

St. Mirren won the Scottish League Cup.

"Who?" I hear you ask.

Exactly. That's the point of this post.

St. Mirren hail from Paisley, a former mill town hanging like a prolapsed bowel from the arse of Glasgow (you ever heard of Paisley pattern? That Paisley). Their stadium is colloquially known as 'The Methadrome', because most of their fans are on Methadone, the heroin substitute.

They won a European Cup tie once, in about 1982. They got gubbed, flattened and obliterated in the second leg, but they once won a match: that sort of club. And now they've won the League Cup.

Excuse me while my mind boggles.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:02 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:St. Mirren hail from Paisley, a former mill town hanging like a prolapsed bowel from the arse of Glasgow (you ever heard of Paisley pattern? That Paisley). Their stadium is colloquially known as 'The Methadrome', because most of their fans are on Methadone, the heroin substitute.

:worship:
That is one of the funniest paragraphs I've read in a decade. Thank you, Roy.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PKMKII on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:50 am

Puerto Rico dashes Japan's hope of a three-peat, knocking them out three-to-one to advance to the World Baseball Classic final.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:46 am

Dominican Republic wins World Baseball Classic, defeating Puerto Rico 3-0 and going undefeated in the tournament.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:40 pm

America has discovered the secret to victory in the World Cup: play all our games in the snow.

PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:18 pm

PKMKII wrote:America has discovered the secret to victory in the World Cup: play all our games in the snow.
Works with Costa Rica, probably with Mexico, Ecuador, Jamaica etc. Less effective with Sweden, Denmark, Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Norway...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby PKMKII on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:01 am

The Yankees have $88.2 million worth of players on the disabled list. Their DL payroll is bigger than the entire payroll of 14 teams.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:31 am

Speaking of the DL, looks like the Mets are going to have to find a new ace for the season:

Two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana has suffered a probable re-tear of the anterior capsule in his left shoulder and a repeat surgery is a "strong possibility," New York Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said Thursday.

Santana needed 19 months to throw a major league pitch after the first procedure, which had been performed on fewer than a dozen pitchers in major league history.

There goes my dream of us not finishing last in the division...

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:13 am

Mets win their season opener, with Collin "most hick name ever" Cowgill hitting a grand slam. It can only go downhill from here...

PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:15 am

Partick Thistle are in the Ramsden's Challenge Cup Final against Queen Of The South. QotS were Scottish Cup finalists in 2008, and very nearly beat Rangers (when Rangers were top of the Premier League and not a Third Division team), but I have high hopes The Jags can give us a result.
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:32 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Partick Thistle are in the Ramsden's Challenge Cup Final against Queen Of The South. QotS were Scottish Cup finalists in 2008, and very nearly beat Rangers (when Rangers were top of the Premier League and not a Third Division team), but I have high hopes The Jags can give us a result.

I am trying to find your posts about Scottish Football interesting..honestly. I prefer it when there is violence involved...at least it's more interesting than American Football.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:02 am

Partick Thistle beat Falkirk 2-0 away, win the First Division, and go up to the Premier League next season.

:nefyoobash: :haha: :nefyoobash: :haha: :moon: :moon: :moon:
I can't wait for the Glasgow Derby games next season - you know? The two big names in Glasgow Football? Celtic and Partick Thistle?
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:15 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Partick Thistle beat Falkirk 2-0 away, win the First Division, and go up to the Premier League next season.

:nefyoobash: :haha: :nefyoobash: :haha: :moon: :moon: :moon:
I can't wait for the Glasgow Derby games next season - you know? The two big names in Glasgow Football? Celtic and Partick Thistle?

To be honest Roy...if we got the lads together (and the lasses)...you know DB, Mad Will, Nef Yoo, yourself, me etc and we made up a squad and gave ourselves a name...say Firth of Fourth Queens or something...we'd probably have a good chance in the Scottish League.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion