Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby black bart on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:23 am

^those Italians are getting better at rugby as well...but their football is slipping:

Spurs 3 Inter Milan 0
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:01 pm

The Italians are at it again, beating Canada 14-4 and making it pretty likely that they'll advance past the pool stage. Which would mark the first time two Europeans teams advance past the pool stage in a WBC.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:15 pm

PKMKII wrote:The Italians are at it again, beating Canada 14-4 and making it pretty likely that they'll advance past the pool stage. Which would mark the first time two Europeans teams advance past the pool stage in a WBC.
See, you didn't mention what sport that was. I had to click on the link to discover that it was rounders. Whereabouts are these Italian Girl Guides from?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:11 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:
PKMKII wrote:The Italians are at it again, beating Canada 14-4 and making it pretty likely that they'll advance past the pool stage. Which would mark the first time two Europeans teams advance past the pool stage in a WBC.
See, you didn't mention what sport that was. I had to click on the link to discover that it was rounders. Whereabouts are these Italian Girl Guides from?

It's the only thing I've been posting about in here for the last few days, nothing else interesting going on in sports right now until March Madness. And you leave alone the slanderous rounders comparison and girl scout jokes and I'll leave alone that soccer is a sport for ten year olds in 'Murica.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:43 am

PKMKII wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:

It's the only thing I've been posting about in here for the last few days, nothing else interesting going on in sports right now except the ending of the incredible streak of the Chicago Blackhawks. And you leave alone the slanderous rounders comparison and girl scout jokes and I'll leave alone that soccer is a sport for ten year olds in 'Murica.

FTFY
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:29 am

PKMKII wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:

It's the only thing I've been posting about in here for the last few days, nothing else interesting going on in sports right now except the Six Nations.

Sorry ET but I think my correction is better.

PKMKII wrote:And you leave alone the slanderous rounders comparison and girl scout jokes and I'll leave alone that soccer is a sport for ten year olds in 'Murica.

It's a good thing you weren't talking about football or we might be insulted :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:12 pm

daftbeaker wrote:nothing else interesting going on in sports right now except the Six Nations.

Speaking of which, Wales beat Scotland 28-18 and France drew against Ireland. My hopes of a French Wooden Spoon are rapidly disintegrating.

If England give the Italians a sound thrashing (which I look forward to tomorrow) then the only way the French can get the Spoon is losing to Scotland. On the other hand, if England lose to Italy it will remove any chance of a Slam but, providing they beat Wales next week, England still win the Six Nations and the French are the definitive losers. I'm not sure which I prefer the idea of; English Slam or French Spoon :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:49 pm

As it happened neither of the above options were correct, England beat Italy but only by 18-11 and they looked decidedly ropey in the last 15 minutes.

As things stand if England beat Wales next week then they get the Slam, a draw means England win overall and Wales need to win by more than 7 points to win the Six Nations.

France can still get the Spoon but either they lose to Scotland (unlikely, especially playing in France and with Richie Gray injured) or Italy beat Ireland (more likely but still not good odds). I think the Italians may be taking the Spoon home with them again which is a shame, they've played some really good rugby over the last month.

daftbeaker

Postby black bart on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:00 am

Wales will eat England for breakfast if they play like that. The only worrying thing is England's goal kicking is more consistent.

:furious: Swansea were robbed of a perfectly good equaliser against West Brom by a blind linesman who didn't notice the ball bounce off two West Brom defenders before giving Roland Lamah the chance to score (cannot be offside if the ball comes off a defender). If only the girl linesman had been there, she's the best she is.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Who currently has the best home record of any team in the UK?

Partick Thistle. That's who.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby PKMKII on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:14 am

Netherlands are on a roll in the World Baseball Classic (there, happy Roy?), securing a spot in the semi-finals with a 7-6 walk-off win against Cuba. First time a European team has made it to the semis.

Roy Hunter wrote:Who currently has the best home record of any team in the UK?

Partick Thistle. That's who.

Of course, if Patrick Thistle had to play Man U at home, that record wouldn't be quite so good.

PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:09 am

PKMKII wrote:Of course, if Patrick Thistle had to play Man U at home, that record wouldn't be quite so good.
I think the fact that Partick Thistle will never meet a team of Man U's calibre is the only reason that they are currently in this position.

Dunfermline Athletic, on the other hand, may well be playing Manchester United...
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:
PKMKII wrote:Of course, if Patrick Thistle had to play Man U at home, that record wouldn't be quite so good.
I think the fact that Partick Thistle will never meet a team of Man U's calibre is the only reason that they are currently in this position.

Dunfermline Athletic, on the other hand, may well be playing Manchester United...

Awwwwww...that's a heart warming story.

I bet that bugger Ferguson still gets 6 minutes Fergy time added at the the end of the match so that United can win!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:43 am

I hate Arsenal but they put up a brave performance last night beating the Mighty Bayern Munich 2-0 in Germany...they still went out of the Champions League though...

...hopefully that will leave them all tired and emotionally unstable for the game at Swansea on Saturday :evilgrin:
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Those cheating, seaweed-eating, daffodil-munching sheep botherers.

Actually, in fairness the Welsh were a better side and deserved to win, not by a sodding 27 point margin though (or whatever the final score was, I gave up watching after the 75 minute scrum). It was a good game though, I was on the edge of my seat for most of the first half.

Italy beat Ireland as well, I might have the French losing as a consolation prize :haha:

daftbeaker

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion