What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Rainswept on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 am

Helium Hands wrote:
Rainswept wrote:I found one that sounds good to me, "The Lies of Locke Lamora"

I thoroughly enjoyed that and its sequel, "Red Seas Under Red Skies." Excellent characters.

Agreed, quite liked it, into book 2 now. If he does not trot out the girl soon ill be annoyed tho.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby black bart on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 am

Neverwhere is superb. I was actually reading it whilst on the London Underground this morning and got to the bit where "Earl's Court' comes into the story and then they mentioned "Ravenscourt" just as I actually passed through "Ravenscourt Park" station!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:47 pm

I read American Gods a couple of days ago. It's a really good book and struck me as a 'serious' version of Small Gods by Terry Pratchett, there are some very similar themes and ideas. I understand how they were such a good team doing Good Omens now.

I'm going to have to buy more Neil Gaiman stuff when I've finished reading Hiaasen. Your fault Roy, I started them and now I keep buying more of them :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:09 am

Any minute now I am going to run into Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar...in fact I think I used to work with them!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby tris on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:40 pm

Just finished "the curious case of the dog in the night-time"
Fascinating window onto (and into) the mind of an autistic "savant" whose view of the world is dominated by maths and weird rituals
And I'm trying to finish "The Cosmic Blueprint" by Paul Davies.. but it's not easy!
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L
tris
Lord of Linguini

Postby Rainswept on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:04 am

relistening to "God No" by Penn Jillette
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Rainswept on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 pm

The Warded Man -Peter V Brett
Rainswept

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:28 pm

Hells Angels, Hunter S. Thompson. Trying to get into character for a bit of writing...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rainswept on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:38 pm

Rainswept wrote:The Warded Man -Peter V Brett

moved on to book 2
Rainswept

Postby Helium Hands on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:13 am

Rainswept wrote:

moved on to book 2

Heh.
I just started book 3. Good stuff.

"The Third Policeman" by Flann O'Brien
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

I have come to love the "foe" feature - my own private banhammer.
Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:12 am

Almost done with book 2 of the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. Very enjoyable.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:36 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Almost done with book 2 of the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. Very enjoyable.

I liked those fine, but I remember them falling into the current trend of fantasy books with Rocky syndrome. The first book/movie has all of the invention and ingenuity, and the rest just follow normal fantasy story-arcs without adding anything unexpected, unique, or exciting. In other words there's not enough there to justify an entire series. There's a reason Rocky won oscars and acclaim, while it's sequels were just predictable action nonsense. The Night Angel sequels aren't bad, but they also aren't special.

There are a few series out there where the books keep getting better, and those are the ones I really look forward to. Kingkiller Chronicles, Dresden Files, Song of Ice and Fire... I have very high hopes of adding The Stormlight Archive to that list when book 2 hits.
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:44 pm

Check out the Night's Dawn series by Peter F. Hamilton. SciFi rather than fantasy, but VERY good. Also the Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained duology by the same author. I may have recommended them before in here. Really good stuff.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:49 am

Well, enjoy the next Iain (M) Banks book. It will be the last one.
:cry:
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rainswept on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:44 am

Helium Hands wrote:
Rainswept wrote:

moved on to book 2

Heh.
I just started book 3. Good stuff

Finished book 3. I like it, despite the soap opera of who's "sticking" who and the cliff-hanger endings.
Rainswept

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors