What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Rainswept on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Helium Hands wrote:I love Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Absolutely epic, and doesn't get bogged down the way that The Wheel of Time did (for me). I highly recommend it.

I keep hearing that but so far it's not drawing me in at all. I'm about 7 hours into the audiobook when I set it aside and tried The Way of Kings, which was phenomenal. After that I did the First Law trilogy, then redid the entire wheel of time. so it's been months since i tried Gardens of the Moon. It's still downloaded to my phone.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Helium Hands on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:55 pm

Rainswept wrote:
Helium Hands wrote:I love Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Absolutely epic, and doesn't get bogged down the way that The Wheel of Time did (for me). I highly recommend it.

I keep hearing that but so far it's not drawing me in at all. I'm about 7 hours into the audiobook when I set it aside and tried The Way of Kings, which was phenomenal. After that I did the First Law trilogy, then redid the entire wheel of time. so it's been months since i tried Gardens of the Moon. It's still downloaded to my phone.

Loved The Way of Kings. I am looking forward to Sanderson's follow-up to it.
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

I have come to love the "foe" feature - my own private banhammer.
Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Rainswept on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:00 am

it's planned for 10 books
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Helium Hands on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:08 am

I remember reading that on his blog. I sure hope he can keep the momentum going that long. Few series can.
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:14 am

Damn these octologies and duodecologies. They never seem to end.

I finally have a copy of A Memory of Light - Library Guy came through. Just have to polish off Anansi Boys (100 pages or so left) and I'm diving in. Coworker brought me another trilogy I've never heard of - Brent Weeks' Shadows books about some assassin-y stuff. Hopefully I'll enjoy them.

Anansi Boys is very entertaining. Comedic in a double-layered sort of way. Funny scenes, and the overall situation is pretty funny, kind of like Dostoevsky's The Friend of the Family. Not quite as classically rich, though...
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:27 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Damn these octologies and dodecologies. They never seem to end.

I finally have a copy of A Memory of Light - Library Guy came through. Just have to polish off Anansi Boys (100 pages or so left) and I'm diving in. Coworker brought me another trilogy I've never heard of - Brent Weeks' Shadows books about some assassin-y stuff. Hopefully I'll enjoy them.

Anansi Boys is very entertaining. Comedic in a double-layered sort of way. Funny scenes, and the overall situation is pretty funny, kind of like Dostoevsky's The Friend of the Family. Not quite as classically rich, though...

Night Angel Trilogy. I liked it, dark but not too depressing, layered story with modern vocabulary. All in all a fun read. The only negative I had for that one is that I felt book one was the strongest of the three.

Anasi Boys? I never saw you post that you finished American Gods. I guess you liked it then?
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:38 am

Urg, leave it to me to space out. Yes, I enjoyed Gods very much. I liked the characters a lot, several of them reminded me of old drinking buddies from decades gone by. Anansi has had me laughing out loud a couple of times, which is refreshing. It's kind of a sequel to Gods, but not quite as much overlap as you'd expect from a more traditional sequel.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 am

I liked it, but didn't love it. I actually got more pleasure out of researching all the places he visited.

Rainswept

Postby Helium Hands on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:00 am

I thoroughly enjoyed The Night Angel Trilogy.
Anansi Boys was good, but didn't live up to American Gods, IMHO.
Gaiman's newest book (for adults), The Ocean at the End of the Lane will be out in June. And, I've heard, this is to be his last signing tour.
-Unattrib

-Bill Hicks

Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:19 am

Rainswept wrote:Discworld's been recommended to me alot, but usually described as humorous, and I cringe a little cause it sounds like Xanth which I did not particularly like. Any recommendations?

The Discworld series now has 39 books (with about 5 aimed at younger readers) and it's changed quite a bit over time. I read them all through again last year when I was sitting about waiting for bones to fix.

It starts off as a straight parody of swords-and-sorcery fantasy with amsuingly named barbarians, Lovecraftian horrors and other stuff. Ankh-Morpork is a medieval city with no concept of insurance, policing or hygiene.

Book 6 (Wyrd Sisters) is where 'classic' Discworld starts to become obvious (to me, anyway). The focus has moved from Cohen parody to Shakespeare parody, the whole book being remarkably similar to a play about a certain Scottish king. Death becomes less menacing and more the straight man for the jokes and the relationship between the witches is on equal terms with the plot. Ankh-Morpork is still medieval but now at least seems to function.

Book 20 (Hogfather) probably marks the high point of classic Discworld comedic books. They're funny with serious messages but don't come across as being serious. Ankh-Morpork has become similar to Victorian London in some ways but still has elements of the old city about it. That continues right the way through to now with the exception of the later Watch books that become quite dark in terms of their subject matter for comic fantasy.

I'd recommend starting either with some of the good standalone books (The Truth, Monstrous Regiment, Making Money) or picking one of the series and going through that. Don't worry about missing bits from earlier books, I've read them all through twice (and some of them dozens of times) and still find little puns and details I hadn't noticed before.

The Watch series- Guards Guards, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud, Snuff
The Rincewind series - The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Eric, Interesting Times, The Last Continent,
The Witches series - Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Maskerade, Carpe Jugulum
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Rainswept on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:29 am

=/ It's all parody? Despite popularity I never enjoyed stuff like Xanth. If all I want is to laugh I'll find a book by like George Carlin I think. Thanks DB.
Rainswept

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:45 am

Rainswept wrote:=/ It's all parody? Despite popularity I never enjoyed stuff like Xanth. If all I want is to laugh I'll find a book by like George Carlin I think. Thanks DB.

Parody is a bit of a strong word for the later books. I'd suggest trying Night Watch before you write them off completely, it's one of Pratchett's best 'serious' books.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby Rainswept on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:02 pm

You can't use parody 3 times in your description, even labeling different brands of parody, then say "parody is a bit of a strong word" !

You are fired from the job of writing reviews. :nefyoobash:
Rainswept

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Rainswept wrote:You can't use parody 3 times in your description, even labeling different brands of parody, then say "parody is a bit of a strong word" !

You are fired from the job of writing reviews. :nefyoobash:

daftbeaker wrote:Parody is a bit of a strong word for the later books.

Note that my mention of parody applied to the first 6 books. Therefore my 'overuse' of parody applies to 15% of the series.

You are fired from the job of reading reviews :idiot:

daftbeaker

Postby Rainswept on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Cause 6 novels is barely noticeable, right? =D
Rainswept

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors