What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby black bart on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:18 am

I have noticed a new channel "SYFY" which has popped up on my TV. As you would expect it features popular Sci Fi stuff like 'Star Trek the next generation' etc etc. Unfortunately it also features the worst movies ever screened...if they ever were screened before they went to DVD. I didn't think it was possible to get worse films than those that you find on "Movies 24" but somehow "SYFY" have found some. The latest ones I had a quick look at (I couldn't get through the whole film) were "30,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "The Land that Time Forgot" (not the Doug McClure version but a dreadful remake from the 1990s). Utter, Utter Crap!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:46 pm

SYFY, formerly known as SciFI (with clever little ads featuring the internal iF) has gone the way of Bravo and the History Channel (to name just two), racing to the lowest of lowest common denominators in their respective 'genres'.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Jurassic Park for the umpteenth millionth time. My favorite movie when I was 6, my favorite movie now. You know, when I was 6, I wanted to be a Paleontologist because of the movie. Now, I'm a Biology major, seriously considering Paleontology as a grad program. Funny how things turn out. *Gets ever-so-slightly misty-eyed*
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby gronank on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby fueledbycoffee on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:15 pm

Paleontologist Hipsters? What fun.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:48 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:Paleontologist Hipsters? What fun.

Sounds like a name for a Williamsburg band.

Watched My Neighbors the Yamadas. Cute.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:11 am

Wreck-it Ralph...brilliant.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:25 pm

OZ:

The previews were, overwhelmingly, for dystopian coming attractions -- surprising for such a kid-oriented film.

The opening titles are really beautiful! Based on antique card advertising with a little nod to classic circus and vaudeville billboards, they feature engraving-style graphics and antique typography, seemingly held before the camera with marionette rods. There are some nice bits such as the small, traveling "Baum Brothers Circus" venue for stage magician/fraud Oz. There's a bit about one of the girls he saw when in town on the circuit stopping by to announce her decision to marry local farmer John Gale. It's an entire scene, but not too heavy handed and, appropriately, never referenced again.

I wouldn't class this as a great film but I enjoyed it. I felt the production team did a nice job of creating a back story to the classic which hit all the right homage and style notes, and set the stage for the story to come. At the same time they presented a stand-alone story from some of the lesser known books and made good use of current technology to enhance their own vision. I recommend it.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Ravi Oli on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:08 am

^ Been waiting for Oz. Seen a bit of the starting 4:3 B&W and the preview had some impressive CGI. Just have to organize time and someone to watch it with.

black bart wrote:Wreck-it Ralph...brilliant.

Luckily I have grandkids to justify my collecting such titles... :haha: Could you name at least a few of the characters at the Baddies-Anon meeting?
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Ravi Oli wrote:^ Been waiting for Oz. Seen a bit of the starting 4:3 B&W and the preview had some impressive CGI. Just have to organize time and someone to watch it with.

black bart wrote:Wreck-it Ralph...brilliant.

Luckily I have grandkids to justify my collecting such titles... :haha: Could you name at least a few of the characters at the Baddies-Anon meeting?

That's tricky, I remember Bowser, the Devil, and an hilarious Zombie who steals the show. Great scene though.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby tris on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 pm

I just rewatched "Hable con Ella" ("Speak with her" must be the English title if it's translated properly) by P Almodovar... I first saw it about 8 years ago and enjoyed it in a detached sort of way. This time round it made me cry like a baby... :cry: :cry: :cry:
The first time I saw the film the male nurse character seemed like a loser (and a bit of a pervert).. but now I could somehow see where he was coming from (maybe that means I've become a loser and a pervert)! And I finally understood why Marco the journalist always cried when something moved him...
it's a great film... but you'll need a maxi-pack of Kleenexes!
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L
tris
Lord of Linguini

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:13 am

hiiiiiii tris

rrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:21 am

Hi Tris!

The Almodovar film is called Talk To Her for the English-speaking market. I loved it because it took its time to tell the story - it's not often a film leaves you space and time to think about what's happening. I think if it didn't take that time and leave that space it wouldn't work on such an emotional level. Editing is really an under-rated art form.

On a much more lowbrow level, I watched Skyfall again last night. Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Javier Bardem, Ralph Feinnes and Naomie Harris still acted brilliantly. Put any two of them on the screen and let them go - you'll get a scene worth watching. The Aston Martin is still beautiful, as is Glencoe.

I still have no idea what Bérénice Marlohe's character was there for: her makeup meant she looked like she needed a wash most of the time; she had a minimal impact on the story; and she died meaninglessly. The scene in the glass-walled tower block was all wrong. I could see what they were trying to do, but they didn't manage to do it, and they didn't have to do it in the first place. Didn't get these things the first time: don't get them now.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Mon May 27, 2013 8:23 pm

I watched "Behind the Candelabra", an HBO movie about Liberace and his favorite boyfriend. It was a good film. Liberace was a rather creepy man. He was apparently sexually attracted to himself, and convinced his boyfriend to get plastic surgery to make him look like Liberace at a younger age.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby PKMKII on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Life of Pi

Not really sure what to make of it. It became clear very early on that suspension of disbelief wasn't expected of the audience, so the weirdness didn't really bother me. However, I feel like there's a disconnect between the film's conclusion about God, and the way God, metaphorically, is presented throughout the film. It talks about God in a kind of new-agey notion, but the presented God is much more indifferent and violent.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors