Inspiring stuff found on the intrawebs ver. 1.0

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Inspiring stuff found on the intrawebs ver. 1.0

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:56 am

—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby black bart on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:54 am

^Ahhh table tennis...I am crap at it...but I love it.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:26 pm

The City that Ended Hunger
A city in Brazil recruited local farmers to help do something U.S. cities have yet to do: end hunger.

Belo, a city of 2.5 million people, once had 11 percent of its population living in absolute poverty, and almost 20 percent of its children going hungry. Then in 1993, a newly elected administration declared food a right of citizenship. The officials said, in effect: If you are too poor to buy food in the market—you are no less a citizen. I am still accountable to you.

<snip>

The city agency developed dozens of innovations to assure everyone the right to food, especially by weaving together the interests of farmers and consumers. It offered local family farmers dozens of choice spots of public space on which to sell to urban consumers, essentially redistributing retailer mark-ups on produce—which often reached 100 percent—to consumers and the farmers. Farmers’ profits grew, since there was no wholesaler taking a cut. And poor people got access to fresh, healthy food.

<snip>

Another product of food-as-a-right thinking is three large, airy “People’s Restaurants” (Restaurante Popular), plus a few smaller venues, that daily serve 12,000 or more people using mostly locally grown food for the equivalent of less than 50 cents a meal. When Anna and I ate in one, we saw hundreds of diners—grandparents and newborns, young couples, clusters of men, mothers with toddlers. Some were in well-worn street clothes, others in uniform, still others in business suits.

“I’ve been coming here every day for five years and have gained six kilos,” beamed one elderly, energetic man in faded khakis.

“It’s silly to pay more somewhere else for lower quality food,” an athletic-looking young man in a military police uniform told us. “I’ve been eating here every day for two years. It’s a good way to save money to buy a house so I can get married,” he said with a smile.

No one has to prove they’re poor to eat in a People’s Restaurant, although about 85 percent of the diners are. The mixed clientele erases stigma and allows “food with dignity,” say those involved.

<snip>

The result of these and other related innovations?

In just a decade Belo Horizonte cut its infant death rate—widely used as evidence of hunger—by more than half, and today these initiatives benefit almost 40 percent of the city’s 2.5 million population. One six-month period in 1999 saw infant malnutrition in a sample group reduced by 50 percent. And between 1993 and 2002 Belo Horizonte was the only locality in which consumption of fruits and vegetables went up.

The cost of these efforts?

Around $10 million annually, or less than 2 percent of the city budget. That’s about a penny a day per Belo resident.

Behind this dramatic, life-saving change is what Adriana calls a “new social mentality”—the realization that “everyone in our city benefits if all of us have access to good food, so—like health care or education—quality food for all is a public good.”

The Belo experience shows that a right to food does not necessarily mean more public handouts (although in emergencies, of course, it does.) It can mean redefining the “free” in “free market” as the freedom of all to participate. It can mean, as in Belo, building citizen-government partnerships driven by values of inclusion and mutual respect.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/food- ... ded-hunger
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby gronank on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:15 am

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:The City that Ended Hunger
A city in Brazil recruited local farmers to help do something U.S. cities have yet to do: end hunger.

You can't do anything like that in the U.S, it would go against everything the cult of deserving stands for.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Wow, that sounds like a great project. Social programmes like this should be par for the course, not exceptions to the rule. It's so very true that the benefits from showing such altruism go beyond the immediate and into the long-term, shaping the attitude of generations to come for the better. I will never understand the backlash against social welfare and medicine so prevalent in certain parts of the world today.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby PKMKII on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:40 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:51 pm

There's nothing inspiring about encouraging body dysmorphic disorder. Tsk tsk tsk. :whip:

Poor rhinoceros... :cry:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:09 pm

^ :lol:
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:44 pm

VOTE PIECES O'NINE FOR POPE AND CHOOSE YOUR BIRETTA STYLE AND COLOR
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby black bart on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:39 am

That's it...I'm joining the campaign...I just can't decide on the colour.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby DavidH on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:04 am

I trust Pieces will approve, I have carried the Pieces for Pope campaign across to the Monastery, also to the Happy Atheist Forum. I will e-mail a list of usernames to the Vatican when complete.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby black bart on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:24 am

david H wrote:

I will e-mail a list of usernames to the Vatican when complete.

I'll be hiding in my priest's hole!

They'll never take me alive!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:25 pm

black bart wrote:I'll be hiding in my priest's hole!

They'll never take me alive!

I suppose that's preferable to having a priest hiding in your hole... :whistle:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:41 pm

ET has priest holes hidden all over Maine, cleverly disguised as privvies... :haha:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:46 pm

Yarrr, and ye'll nivver find em, me pretty!!

I use them like the little boxes Thing used on the Addams Family TV show back in the day - go in this one, come out of that one - much cheaper than buying gas!
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes