The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby black bart on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:35 am

PKMKII wrote:Started playing Starcraft 2 online in 1v1. Predictably, getting my ass kicked.

I use to play "Starcraft" against my colleague over the local netwrok/lan...the bastard was just too good with 'ghosts', those little buggers that sneak in and not only steal all your rum, they plant a nuclear bomb in the middle of your base! "Nuclear Launch Detected, Nuclear Launch Detected" would send you into a blind panic and you'd have seconds to try and remove your army to safety before it was blown to bits.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:51 am

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:I remember enjoying Yoshi's Story as well, but it's been ages since I've played it. I remember it was very pretty, with lovely music, which go a long way in making me like a game, although my idea of "pretty" is not the conventional idea of "pretty video games". I like bright, vibrant colors, such as those found in Final Fantasy IX (my favorite RPG of all time) and the aforementioned platformers. "Realistic" games tend not to be so colorful and stylized as I like. I also remember the gameplay was fun and challenging without being frustrating. I'm easily frustrated by video games. If it makes me tense then I give up frequently, and that interferes with my ability to relax with a game that should be enjoyable.

:fsm_rambling: :haha:

I totally feel you on that, man. If you ever play Minecraft, there's this series of adventure/puzzle maps someone made called Super Hostile, that are designed to be insanely, @$$^%&ishly hard. For some reason my friend loves Super Hostile, but I played it for five minutes and felt like chucking my pc out the window, onto the street, and driving over it a few times. When did that become "fun?"

As for stylized graphics, they don't work for everything, but I got one thing to say: TF2 :fsm_rock:
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:18 am

:bounce: :bounce: :grin: :bounce: :bounce:

I have Super Mario 64 up and running on my new used computer! It runs almost flawlessly, the only problem being when I switch the program between windowed and fullscreen, or when I change levels, the music speeds up slightly for a few seconds.

Now I need to find a ROM of the first edition of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, the one that comes in a gold cartridge and features wonderful Muslim-angering music in the Fire Temple. It's got a few bugs, but they're fun bugs, like the "swordless Link trick". If I can find that, I will be thrilled!

After I get Project64 set up the way I like it with all the ROMs I want, I'll start on the Playstation and Sega Genesis emulators.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:00 pm

I don't know if I have version 1.0 or 1.1 of OoT, but it's got the original Islamic chanting in the Fire Temple!

It was irritating trying to figure that out, between trying to crash the game to get into the Debug Screen (couldn't do it) and using premade cheats to give Link a Goron Tunic, the Ocarina of Time, the Bolero of Fire, and make him an adult. The program kept crashing and needing to be uninstalled and reinstalled, although I eventually caught on and saved my controller configuration to a file so I wouldn't have to reenter it every time, which is a pain because the configuration utility is buggy. But I figured out it has the good music, which is what I wanted to know.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:08 am

Alright, finally found a mod I want for Europa Universalis III. It's one that combines all the good ones :fsm_rock:

On that subject, why aren't there more historical games? I don't mean, say, WWII shooters. Had about enough, thankee. But I mean, games set in interesting times that make some effort to be historically accurate. A friend of mine once asked me what my dream game was. The game I came up with was this. Take Africa, use satellite imagery and maps to designed the entire continent to scale and accurately. The timeline would be 1800-1980, and you would play as either a European (Boer, British, French, etc.), or a native of various tribes. Design your character like Skyrim, will a bit more control over history and skills, and from the minute you step off the boat, you are free. You can join the British army, farm, explore, whatever. Every tribe and nation would speak their own language as closely as is possible (some would have been lost), and you can study it and learn it. As far as exploration, you can go anywhere, but you must be careful. There's no HUD, you judge your health by sight and sound (Look down and see wounds on your body, character breathes heavily, moves slower, etc.), you have to look in your pouch to see how much ammo you have remaining, ration food and water, etc. As far as wildlife, a realistic tracking system is in place. Nothing points the tracks out to you, but you can spot them if you're careful. Pick good spots for your camp, too. Animals can be heard coming, but some only just, so keep an eye out. If you get yourself killed, and you've married (or not) and had a kid (or kids), the game passes over to your eldest child.

There is nothing like it (Except DayZ, and I don't care for Zombies), yet I think it would sell. Look how nostalgic people still are about the Oregon Trail. Too bad I can't program...
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:29 pm

black bart wrote:
PKMKII wrote:Started playing Starcraft 2 online in 1v1. Predictably, getting my ass kicked.

I use to play "Starcraft" against my colleague over the local netwrok/lan...the bastard was just too good with 'ghosts', those little buggers that sneak in and not only steal all your rum, they plant a nuclear bomb in the middle of your base! "Nuclear Launch Detected, Nuclear Launch Detected" would send you into a blind panic and you'd have seconds to try and remove your army to safety before it was blown to bits.

You don't see many terran players going for ghost nukes. Usually they only bring out a couple ghosts to EMP protoss units.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Rainswept on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:07 am

I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Just had an overwhelming urge to dig out NWN1. Oh, the memories...
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:10 am

PKMKII wrote:
black bart wrote:

You don't see many terran players going for ghost nukes. Usually they only bring out a couple ghosts to EMP protoss units.

My esteemed colleague is a devil at all games...but he also knows all the cheats. I spent hours trying to kill him in Quake Arena only to find he had some sort "God Mode" switched on...it aint cricket! :furious:

I do feel great nostalgia for Starcraft though.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:39 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:Just had an overwhelming urge to dig out NWN1. Oh, the memories...

I played that game for. ev. er. It was like the top game my old pc could run, and I had friends on a persistent world. we used to work out these crazy builds to raid other servers, take these full teams of various builds and add one level of shadowdancer to each one. People would be walking along and suddenly jumped by like 6 hidden people. One of my favorites was a shadowdancing dragon.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:24 am

Rainswept wrote:
fueledbycoffee wrote:Just had an overwhelming urge to dig out NWN1. Oh, the memories...

I played that game for. ev. er. It was like the top game my old pc could run, and I had friends on a persistent world. we used to work out these crazy builds to raid other servers, take these full teams of various builds and add one level of shadowdancer to each one. People would be walking along and suddenly jumped by like 6 hidden people. One of my favorites was a shadowdancing dragon.

My favorite build has always been a rogue/shadowdancer combo, it's epic! Not a damn thing can hit you.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Rainswept on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:19 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Rainswept wrote:

My favorite build has always been a rogue/shadowdancer combo, it's epic! Not a damn thing can hit you.

Mine changed alot based on the server and version of the game. I used to love my monk/ranger/assassin. 1st version of the game it would give you monk # of attacks, using ranger hide spells and attack bonus, and would not say "sneak attack" or "death attack" meaning I could have the highest possible hide/ms score (with ranger spells), with a max attack bonus and insane number of attacks with dual kamas. you appear, slaughter someone with IKD and they have no idea where the damage is coming from.

Another one is 28 sorcerer, 1 paladin, 1 shadowdancer. Full basic hide score, charisma based paladin saves, full armor, and 28 levels of nasty spellcasting.

completely different is 1Monk/28 sorc/1sd which is a disgusting hiding tenser's build.
Rainswept

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:02 am

Wow, you put way more thought into it than me. I think "What's Badass?" and go with that, lol.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Rainswept on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:03 am

I played on a highly competitive persistent world. I prefer pve over pvp, but there was plenty of both and you had to be good. There were players on there who played implosion clerics, running around slaughtering people with 1 spell. Brutal competition too, the server had rules like "don't kill someone more than 5 times in a row, that's harassment... so everyone would kill new guys 5 times, then let their guild buddy kill them 5, then the next guild member... lol.

I eventually got into the best guild, and we'd do things like a yard sale. gather up a bunch of very good equipment that we'd outgrown but the vast majority of players still needed, we'd lay it out on the ground and shout, make weaker players do whatever we wanted in exchange for the gear... fight one another, suicide, yell out the superiority of our guild... it was like hazing lol. I had one character with hide so good we'd have everyone who wanted a weapon try to find me... nobody could so we had to find a new game lol.
Rainswept

Postby black bart on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:11 am

I am doing Borderlands 2.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors