Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:14 am

We gunna pway skippy woope wiff capin Pinny an Millicint .
Ye kin pway too but ya haffa bing ye oan wope ! rrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:50 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:38 am

FA Cup - Swansea 2 Arsenal 2...last minute equaliser again!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Just thought I'd get this one in before Black Bart.

Chelsea 0 - 2 Swansea

Suspect he won't be in much of a state to comment on it himself... :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:32 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Just thought I'd get this one in before Black Bart.

Chelsea 0 - 2 Swansea

Suspect he won't be in much of a state to comment on it himself... :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

Would you believe I had tickets and I was there...what a night for Swansea. Chelsea made errors in defence which contributed to the goals but Swansea defended magnificently and you have to remember that Torres is worth more than the whole of Swansea...not just the football team, Swansea itself, including the smelly nightclubs and the leisure centre!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:12 am

^Actually they have improved the Leisure Centre...there's a wave machine. :facewall:

It's right next to the frickin sea!!!!!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:03 pm

It's gonna be Harbaugh-Harbaugh Family Funtime at the Super Bowl. :cry:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby PKMKII on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:22 am

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:It's gonna be Harbaugh-Harbaugh Family Funtime at the Super Bowl. :cry:

Don't you mean HARBAUGHGEDDON!?

A few fun facts:

- San Francisco will be defending an interesting Super Bowl record. They have the most number of Super Bowl wins without ever having lost a Super Bowl. And they have it by a long shot (5-0), no other team undefeated in the Super Bowl has a record better than 1-0. Including Baltimore, so they'll take the record from San Fran if they win.
- San Francisco may end up with both the NFL and baseball championship for the season.
- Bernard Pollard has now injured Brady, Welker, Gronkowski, and Ridley of New England. Man is a bonafide Patriots killer.
- First time since 2002 that a team other than Indianapolis, New England, or Pittsburgh will be representing the AFC in the Super Bowl.
- Neither team has been to the Super Bowl in more than a decade (nearly two in San Fran's case).
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:51 am

If you win the 'Super Bowl' do you actually get a bowl...as opposed to a cup?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:11 pm

Actually, it's neither a cup nor a bowl. It's a sterling silver football-on-a-stick.

Wikipedia's article on "Bowl game" says in the first paragraph:
In North America, a bowl game is one of a number of post-season college football games that are primarily played by teams from the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision. The term "bowl" originated from the Rose Bowl Stadium, site of the first post-season college football games. The Rose Bowl Stadium, in turn, takes its name and bowl-shaped design from the Yale Bowl, the prototype of many football stadiums in the United States. In turn, the NFL's "Super Bowl" is a reference to college football bowl games.

So it takes its name from the shape of a particular stadium, indirectly.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:46 am

Dammit !

Oi lorst 10 dahblooms on thee Balltamoar / Nu Inglin gaim !
Arrrrrrrrgh!
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby black bart on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:54 am

Swansea 0 - Chelsea 0

Swansea win 2 - 0 on aggregate!!!!!!

Wemberlee, Wemberlee...the Swans are going to the Cup Final. :drinking:
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Six Nations!

Wales got deservedly thrashed, they played piss-poorly in the first half. Having said that, they managed a massive comeback in the second half and closed from 3-23 to 22-30 (as I remember it, I was quite drunk.) They missed a few passes that would have led on to to scoring opportunities so it could have been a very close game if they hadn't fumbled so much. Brian O'Driscoll is still a force to be reckoned with, he might be getting on a bit and is no longer captain but he's always in the action and tackling people where necessary.

More to the point, England won. A bit of a shaky start when Scotland got a try but it moved back to an England dominated game after that and there might have been another try if it wasn't for getting pulled back for a high tackle.

England - France might well be the decider of this Six Nations :love:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Scotland simply wasn't playing an aggressive enough game. Seemed like they were relying more on England to make mistakes than to take matters into their own hands.

PKMKII

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:54 pm

PKMKII wrote:Scotland simply wasn't playing an aggressive enough game. Seemed like they were relying more on England to make mistakes than to take matters into their own hands.

I doubt it. Even if Scotland attacked properly I don't think they would have won. The scoreline would have been closer though. More to the point, the current England team don't make enough mistakes to build a strategy out of. Enough to tip the balance between two sides but not enough to pin a whole match on.

It worked for Ireland against Wales though :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion