What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Edd on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Rereading Zelazny's Lord of Light. It's one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors and I'm hoping for some inspiration.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:16 am

Just picked up Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. Looks to be another page turner like his other novels, which is annoying because I'll probably finish it by Saturday. Also decided to give the Bourne series a try, so I got the first one. Chances are I'll become addicted, pound through however many of them there are by now in short order, and end up staring at yet another website for a year while I wait for the next sequel. It looks like the (hopefully) final installment of the Wheel of Time will be coming out in January, after they jerked me around for three years while dragging the supposedly last book out into three books. And I've been waiting for the next bloody Fire and Ice book for how long?

When will I stop with these damn never-ending (n+1)ologies? In the bookstore I saw four linked books by my old favorite, Larry Niven, the Fleet of Worlds series about the puppeteer migration. It was not easy to resist buying them, too.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:18 am

The Life of Pi is, so far, about a young Indian guy who is a practicing Hindu, Muslim and Christian!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby gronank on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:37 am

I was so excited when I first heard the title of that book. I thought it was a dramatized story about the ratio between the circumference and the diameter of a circle, but alas, I was disapointed.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Rainswept on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm big into Audible now, since I can "read" while i bike to work and back. I wish i was more prompt because I got this: http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B007EZKICY yesterday for $3.95 but I guess that sale is over. So far it's informative if a bit dry, please do not let that awful comic-book looking cover fool you, he's a bright guy, and the book has a forward by Dawkins.

I just finished Cold Days before that, as well as God, No and Every Day is an Atheist Holiday

Looking forward to Memory of Light
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby black bart on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:10 am

gronank wrote:I was so excited when I first heard the title of that book. I thought it was a dramatized story about the ratio between the circumference and the diameter of a circle, but alas, I was disapointed.

:facewall:

I thought it was too...now you've ruined it for me!!!!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Griffin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:52 am

Still stuck on p.61 of Casual some thing or other by JK Rawlings - sob.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:12 am

1Q84. Good forearm exercise, holding up a tome of that size.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rainswept on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:09 pm

I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:48 am

Edd wrote:Rereading Zelazny's Lord of Light. It's one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors and I'm hoping for some inspiration.

Oi nu oi lykt ye fer a goode weesun unca hed rrr rrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Griffin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:37 am

Reached p.150 of the JK Rawlings book........... still no idea what it's about.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:16 pm

Robert Ludlum, The Prometheus Deception. "His best to date!"

Meh. Moderately entertaining, but contrived and predictable. Not nearly as disappointing as the Clive Cussler book I tried to read a while back, but not nearly as good as I expected. Editing is a lost art, and who knows what kind of knuckleheads (if any) read these things before they get sent to the publisher.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:55 am

I finished 'The Life of Pi' and very good it was too.

I reckon the author nicked some ideas from 'William Hope Hodgson' who wrote some very early Sci Fi/Horror stuff. In 'The Derelict', a short story which I recommend, Hodgson wrote of a carnivorous ship wreck, whilst in 'Life of Pi' there is a carnivorous island.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:07 pm

Just finished the last book of Wheel of Time. Hard to believe it's finally done.

Trying to decide what to check out next, referencing the following for tips: http://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085843 ... tasy-books

There are 3 in the top 15 that i have not read. Brave New world, American Gods, and Nueromancer. I'm leaning towards American Gods.
Rainswept

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:06 pm

Rainswept wrote: There are 3 in the top 15 that i have not read. Brave New world, American Gods, and Nueromancer. I'm leaning towards American Gods.
If you haven't read Neuromancer, you should. Look at the publication date. Then retro-fit the story onto all the sci-fi you've read that was written since then. Quite a few of what you thought were original ideas are actually ripped off from this book. At least, that's what I thought when I read it about 4 years ago.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors