What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby la la on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:35 am

A Dance With Dragons (George RR Martin). Totally hooked on the Song of Ice and Fire series, I just love it, and this last book is an enormously fat paving slab of a book, which makes me really happy even though I have to use two hands to hold the book up and after a while my bad wrist starts hurting. But do I mind? Of course not.

And I'm on the waiting list at the library for The Long Earth (Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter) - something to look forward to!
"There's a hell of a good universe next door, let's go!" e e cummings

"And the new day was a great big fish." Terry Pratchett

"WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?" Terry Pratchett (yes again, I'm afraid. He's my absolute favourite author)
la la
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby black bart on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:58 am

OMG this 'Good Omens' book is cracking me up...I have got to the bit with The Four Bikers of the Apocalypse' and their followers, a bike gang who try to emulate them by taking hilarious names like: "Embarrasing Personal Problems" and "No Alcohol Lager" :lol:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:14 pm

"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Griffin on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:The Leveson Report.

http://www.levesoninquiry.org.uk/news-and-events/ - misread briefing sessions as barfing sessions :haha:

Further Reading

The Report has now been published at http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/do ... 0/0780.asp

The Executive Summary has been published at http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/do ... 9/0779.asp
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby black bart on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:46 am

^^
^
I think I'll wait for the film version.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Griffin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Don't worry, ye won't have ter wayt fer the film versyun. I'll get ye a paper coppee fer yer berthday :haha:
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby black bart on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:11 am

I have started to read 'The Life of Pi' by Yann Martel.

Just been made into a film.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 pm

I've started reading J K Rowling's first book for adults, A Casual Vacancy. It's certainly more colourful in its language than her previous offerings, and shows her as someone who can belt out an instant classic. Much recommended.

Oh, and just a little comment on A Song of Fire and Ice - :love:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Griffin on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:27 am

Roland Deschain wrote:I've started reading J K Rowling's first book for adults, A Casual Vacancy. It's certainly more colourful in its language than her previous offerings, and shows her as someone who can belt out an instant classic. Much recommended.

I'm stuck on p.53. Whatever I try, I can't get beyond it. When does the colourful stuff start?
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:33 am

Griffin wrote:
Roland Deschain wrote:I've started reading J K Rowling's first book for adults, A Casual Vacancy. It's certainly more colourful in its language than her previous offerings, and shows her as someone who can belt out an instant classic. Much recommended.

I'm stuck on p.53. Whatever I try, I can't get beyond it. When does the colourful stuff start?

On page 54. :moon:

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby PKMKII on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:36 pm

A collection of HP Lovecraft stories.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:26 pm

PKMKII wrote:A collection of HP Lovecraft stories.

Are you enjoying them? Let me know your favourite.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Griffin on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:54 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:
Griffin wrote:

On page 54. :moon:

You lie!!

Now on p.56, after hard reading, and still no fun. :facewall:
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby PKMKII on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:17 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:

I really liked The Cats of Ulthar. When you take something that doesn't inherently seem horrific, and then give it this angle of "We seem cute and cuddly, but we have the potential for supreme horror," it's much more unsettling than something that's supposed to horrific, being horrific.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:57 am

PKMKII wrote:
Roland Deschain wrote:

I really liked The Cats of Ulthar. When you take something that doesn't inherently seem horrific, and then give it this angle of "We seem cute and cuddly, but we have the potential for supreme horror," it's much more unsettling than something that's supposed to horrific, being horrific.

You're just a big scaredy cat!

I dread to think what'll happen when you come across...shub niggurath !!!!! :shocked:
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors