CURRENT Television

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: CURRENT Television

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:17 pm

daftbeaker wrote:It was quite a good episode, it does seem to be getting increasingly silly though. The Mitchell and Webb robots struck me as a way to shoehorn a cameo in that didn't really fit the rest of the plot.

Sometimes it seems they are writing steadfastly to twelve regenerations and then end the franchise. Sometimes it seems they are writing themselves into a corner just to see how far into one they can get before they have to back out again with a clever twist. I'm not sure if my Inner Critic is just fatigued from watching since Patrick Troughton, or if the sillyness is actually increasing. Reason leads me to believe it's the former, as there have been some very good stories with the resurrection of the series.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby black bart on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:35 am

I prefer it when it doesn't take itself too seriously. I thought the robots were great and I am a huge fan of Mark Williams (I have his autograph you know).

I also have William Hartnel's autograph so poo poo to the lot of you.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:58 am

Alcatraz was getting so good, and i'd begun to invest myself in all the characters, hypothesising what it was all about, when I got to the end of the thirteenth episode, which is where it was cancelled. The show had real potential, but it just didn't have the ratings. Such a shame. :cry:

Not watched the next Doctor Who yet. It is all ready to go on my iPlayer, so here's to Dinosaurs!
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:06 am

Rosh Hashanah: Science Versus Religion

Tonight on the BBC 1 channel there is a debate between Richard Dawkins and Rabbi Jonathan Sacks. 11.15 - 11.45 pm.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:49 am

black bart wrote:Rosh Hashanah: Science Versus Religion

Tonight on the BBC 1 channel there is a debate between Richard Dawkins and Rabbi Jonathan Sacks. 11.15 - 11.45 pm.

Disappointing.

Dawkins is getting soft in his old age, or he wasn't in the mood for an argument, or Rabbi Jonny Sacks is just too nice a chap.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:43 am

There's a special programme about Fairport Convention on BBC 4 tonight, followed by a Richard Thompson concert.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:24 am

I have been told that the starting date for season 3 of "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" will be announced this weekend! :bounce:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby la la on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:48 am

I don't know about elsewhere in the world, but season 4 of Fringe just started here - hooray! I hope the new season stays up to scratch!
"There's a hell of a good universe next door, let's go!" e e cummings

"And the new day was a great big fish." Terry Pratchett

"WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?" Terry Pratchett (yes again, I'm afraid. He's my absolute favourite author)
la la
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby PKMKII on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:13 am

I think that was the best episode of Doctor Who of the season. And hey, Crichton!
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:58 pm

^ Borrowed visuals from Tom Baker & the Pirate Planet and Westworld, imo.
pieces o'nine

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Wow PoN , you remember all those past episodes ?!

I can barely remember any details from the old series.

I always loved the errie theme since Hector was a pup .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Mad Willyum Bonney wrote:Wow PoN , you remember all those past episodes ?!

I will always be a Tom Baker girl...
pieces o'nine

Postby PKMKII on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:42 pm

pieces o'nine wrote:

PoN, you wanna be old folk together and bitch about these young whippersnappers who talk about who the best doctor is, even though they haven't watched the classic episodes?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:45 am

PKMKII wrote:
pieces o'nine wrote:

PoN, you wanna be old folk together and bitch about these young whippersnappers who talk about who the best doctor is, even though they haven't watched the classic episodes?

Look mate...I met William Hartnell!

He wasn't even in colour...how old do you want us to be?

I was only 6...I've never been the same since! :cry:
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:01 pm

PKMKII wrote:
pieces o'nine wrote:

Sounds good! :haha: [I actally started watching right at the start of Pertwee, but found him quite bewildering. The Sherlock Holmes caped great coats, the ever-more-bouffant hair, the karate-chopping, the motorcycles. His version was definately one of a kind!]

EXAMPLE 1: A friend started watching the last couple episodes of 10 and saw some of the first season of 11. She keeps trying to "explain" to me what the show is about, and "corrects" me when I say, no, no, no, it *isn't* about an intergalactic Lothario...

EXAMPLE 2: THere's a "NEW TO WHO" text/twitter/app or some such new-fangled thing being advertised to death on BBC-America in the Ocean o'Sand. You're supposed to convert your friends to watch and then have them eagerly text/twitter/app their experience. It is to sigh.

Black Bart wrote:Look mate...I met William Hartnell!
He wasn't even in colour...how old do you want us to be?

* Is jealous *
Were you hiding beind the sofa from the first episode? :haha:
pieces o'nine

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors