Word of the Day

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Word of the Day

Postby PKMKII on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:35 pm

passel
-noun
a group or lot of indeterminate number: a passel of dignitaries.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:27 pm

passel o' rogues
-noun (Scots colloq.)
a shower of English bastards
-useage:
"Now Sark rins to the Solway sands
And Tweed rins to the Ocean.
To mark where Englands province stands
Sic a passel of rogues in a nation"
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:49 pm

graptomancy
-noun
divination by handwriting
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Ravi Oli on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:54 pm

gropetomancy
-noun
divination by fondling someones naughty bits
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:03 am

gropetanancy
-noun

similar to above but involving Rene Artois's brother and Lieutenant Gruber
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:29 am

monad
-noun
1. Biology.
a. any simple, single-celled organism.
b. any of various small, flagellate, colorless ameboids with one to three flagella, especially of the genus Monas.
2. Chemistry. an element, atom, or group having a valence of one.
3. Philosophy.
a. (in the metaphysics of Leibniz) an unextended, indivisible, and indestructible entity that is the basic or ultimate constituent of the universe and a microcosm of it.
b. (in the philosophy of Giordano Bruno) a basic and irreducible metaphysical unit that is spatially and psychically individuated.
c. any basic metaphysical entity, especially having an autonomous life.
4. a single unit or entity.

PKMKII

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:01 pm

PKMKII wrote:monad
-noun
1. Biology.
a. any simple, single-celled organism.
b. any of various small, flagellate, colorless ameboids with one to three flagella, especially of the genus Monas.
2. Chemistry. an element, atom, or group having a valence of one.
3. Philosophy.
a. (in the metaphysics of Leibniz) an unextended, indivisible, and indestructible entity that is the basic or ultimate constituent of the universe and a microcosm of it.
b. (in the philosophy of Giordano Bruno) a basic and irreducible metaphysical unit that is spatially and psychically individuated.
c. any basic metaphysical entity, especially having an autonomous life.
4. a single unit or entity.

5. a dyslexic nomad.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:21 pm

momad -v becoming even further enfuriated .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:16 pm

monad
-noun
an extremely large gonad.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby Ravi Oli on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:42 pm

^ Bwahahahahaha :lol:
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby PKMKII on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:14 am

maquette
-noun
a small model or study in three dimensions for either a sculptural or an architectural project.

PKMKII

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:34 am

marqueette
-noun
a small tent
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:06 pm

maquilt
-noun
sits in top of mabed and stops maerse getting cold at night.
Roy Hunter

Postby PKMKII on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:38 am

quadrumvirate
-noun
a governing or managing group, coalition, or the like, of four persons.

PKMKII

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:56 pm

redrumvirate
-noun
a governing or managing group, coalition, or the like, of former managers at the Overlook Hotel.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes