The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby PKMKII on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:06 pm

New GTA V screenshots:

Business

Leisure

Transport
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Can't wait to get my mitts on this game. I'm wondering how they've improved it, but I suppose one way would be size. You can fit 50GB easily on a BD, but only 9.8GB on a DVD (Xbox 360). Let's hope they devote a little time to the PS3 offering.

I see they haven't included the Speedophile 2000 in those pics. :haha:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby gronank on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:05 am

gronank wrote:Kerbal Space Program
You build rockets and you send them out in space and put them in orbits. I just need to get over the feeling of loosing kerbonauts on spacewalks. It is awful to see the halfwitted creatures drifting helplessly off in the vast emptiness of space. It is awesome to build rockets though.

I managed to land on the moon and get back home again!
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:56 am

PKMKII wrote:New GTA V screenshots:

Business

Leisure

Transport

Will it be out in time for xmas/Monkey?

As an aside my kids call GTA "The Bashing Game" (I only allow them to drive the vehicles around, I do not let them play any of the missions which are strictly 18 plus).
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:18 am

The Bashing Game? Do you mean as in driving into other vehicles? I hope you don't let them run people over. :haha:

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:35 pm

I had a brief go of GTA IV. I can't use half the controls, but I did have tremendous fun getting vehicles going fast enough to throw Niko out of the windscreen. Also, the pedestrian swearing and screaming is much better than San Andreas.

That's as far as I got, though.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:41 pm

http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

I'm a Sauceror. Next ascension, I might go for Pastamancer.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby black bart on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 am

Help...I don't know what PS3 game to play next.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:15 am

black bart wrote:Help...I don't know what PS3 game to play next.

Some decent PS3 games for you to peruse:-

Red Dead Redemption
Little Big Planet 2
Bioshock Infinite (or whatever the latest one is)
Assassin's Creed 3

These are all decent games.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:56 am

I couldn't get the sounds to work in the old Spiderweb Software Exile trilogy, so I'm playing their remakes, Avernum. There's actually a more recent remake of Avernum 1 which was released this year, but unfortunately I can't afford it and I can't figure out how to crack it, so I'm playing the original Avernum 1, which will be followed by 2 and 3. I doubt I'll bother playing the second Avernum trilogy (4 through 6) though, because they seem to me like they're just dragging on the series beyond its proper conclusion.

I might play Nethergate at some point too.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby black bart on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:35 am

Roland Deschain wrote:
black bart wrote:Help...I don't know what PS3 game to play next.

Some decent PS3 games for you to peruse:-

Red Dead Redemption
Little Big Planet 2
Bioshock Infinite (or whatever the latest one is)
Assassin's Creed 3

These are all decent games.

I've done Red Dead redemption and I feel like playing through it again as it was quite simply my favourite game of all time.

I like Assassin's Creed and Bioshock although the latter was a bit complex for me...I could not remember what powers I had in which hand!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:46 am

I found a game for ipad/iphone called "Cthulu saves the universe".
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:38 pm

black bart wrote:I found a game for ipad/iphone called "Cthulu saves the universe".

Is it a lying game?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Battlefield 3 had a big update. Coincidentally, I am now lagging all over the place when I try and play :facewall:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby gronank on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:33 am

FTL: faster than light
you play the part of a capitain of a space ship that is constantly falling apart as it ventures through the galaxy. Yes, it is Firefly/Star Trek (mostly voyager)/Battlestar galactica inspired
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors