Beer

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Beer

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:49 pm

PKMKII wrote:The Independent put out a list of their 50 best British beers. Being a 'Murican, I've only have a few of these. Any disagreements/snubs?

From a quick scan I've had about four of those. The only one I don't think should be in there is the banana beer, it tasted like banana cough medicine to me.

If you spot it about I really recommend March of the Penguins, it's a lovely stout.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:33 pm

daftbeaker wrote: The only one I don't think should be in there is the banana beer, it tasted like banana cough medicine to me.

Agreed, and it's a largely panned brew. Hell, Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis has a better banana flavor, and there's no bananas in it.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:18 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Ruu on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:24 pm

I need to post a test comment to see if my computer's existential angst is still ongoing, and I am curious regardless - I found some Ballast Point Sculpin IPA/Dorado double IPA the other day and it was definitely close to a religious experience. Anyone else run into Ballast point recently? I consider my liver to be an expert in matters of IPA, but he hasn't run into this brewery at all.

Discuss.

Dave
Ruu
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Great beer list. I know i've had 2 of those for sure, and may have had more, but can't recall any more. Some names do ring a bell.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:48 pm

daftbeaker wrote:
PKMKII wrote:The Independent put out a list of their 50 best British beers. Being a 'Murican, I've only have a few of these. Any disagreements/snubs?

From a quick scan I've had about four of those. The only one I don't think should be in there is the banana beer, it tasted like banana cough medicine to me.

If you spot it about I really recommend March of the Penguins, it's a lovely stout.

I love Hook Norton beers, the Double Stout is superb. That's a really useful list to print out and go forth and try.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Well, it's not really beer but I got a bottle of ginger wine from Sainsbury's. £3.50 and it's rather tasty, it reminds me of a cross between Jagermeister and Martini Rosso.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:12 pm

daftbeaker wrote:Jagermeister and Martini Rosso.

Don't cross the streams.
That would be bad.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:13 am

Brewery Ommegang And Duvel Moortgat Release First Collaboration Beer

The collaboration captures the delicate balance of the classic Duvel Belgian Golden Ale – one of the world’s most exalted beers – and adds a touch of the typical rustic fruitiness enhancing every Ommegang ale.

WANT want want want want.

PKMKII

Postby black bart on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:54 am

^Belgian-style Golden Ale of 8.5% ABV

Yummy.

I may have already mentioned this but Marks and Spencer have gone bonkers on the bottled beer front. They have been selling some cracking ales including a Chocolate Brown Ale brewed by Robinsons which is 5.5% and a number of Adnams Specialities.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:18 am

black bart wrote:I may have already mentioned this but Marks and Spencer have gone bonkers on the bottled beer front.
Excellent. Payday on Friday, I'll get some in for Monkey. Lay it down in my new wine cellar (OK, it's more a void space under the floor in the back room, but it's mine and it's empty, so I'm storing booze in it).
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:
black bart wrote:I may have already mentioned this but Marks and Spencer have gone bonkers on the bottled beer front.
Excellent. Payday on Friday, I'll get some in for Monkey. Lay it down in my new wine cellar (OK, it's more a void space under the floor in the back room, but it's mine and it's empty, so I'm storing booze in it).

This is as Captain Moseley would have wanted it, pasta be upon him.

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Who is Captain Moseley pray tell?

I have partaken of an M&S Staffordshire IPA.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:18 am

black bart wrote:Who is Captain Moseley pray tell?

I have partaken of an M&S Staffordshire IPA.

Mount Salsa? Eight rather important guidelines? Tut, tut, Bart. :haha:

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Captain Mosey. Ain't ye knows ye skripchure, matey? :whip:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Food