Did you hear who died?

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Did you hear who died?

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:48 pm

Marvin Hamlisch, film composer, 68.

Sir Bernard Lovell, exponent of radio astronomy and director of Jodrell Bank Observatory, 98.

Robert Hughes, art critic, 74
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:55 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:58 pm

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:59 pm

My mom had a crush on him for at least 60 years. Hope she meets him at the volcano.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:10 pm

!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Argh , seems odd fer a femmynist tipe ta ave a meddle noime loike thot .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:32 am

Tony Scott, film director, 68, suicide.

Scott McKenzie, hippie who sang 'San Francisco (Be Sure To wear Flowers In Your Hair)', 73, complications from Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

Phyllis Diller, groundbreaking female comedian, 95, she was old.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:34 am

-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:50 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Sir Bernard Lovell, exponent of radio astronomy and director of Jodrell Bank Observatory, 98.

:cry:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Tony Nicklinson, 58, 'natural causes'.

Tony Nicklinson, a man with locked-in syndrome who fought for the right to legally end his life, has died. The 58-year-old was paralysed from the neck down after suffering a stroke in 2005 and described his life as a "living nightmare".

Last week Mr Nicklinson, from Melksham, Wiltshire, lost his High Court case to allow doctors to end his life. Mr Nicklinson's family solicitor said that he had refused food from last week. Lawyers for another man, 47, who lost his High Court case alongside Mr Nickinson, are to appeal against the decision.

Saimo Chahal, the family's solicitor: ''He was gutsy, determined and a fighter to the end.'' They said it denied their client "the opportunity to take the necessary steps to end his own life".

Mr Nicklinson's family solicitor Saimo Chahal said he died at home at about 10:00 BST accompanied by his wife, Jane, and two daughters, Lauren and Beth. She said: "Jane told me that Tony went rapidly downhill over last weekend, having contracted pneumonia."

So it's alright for him to choose to die by starvation and withdrawal of treatment, but he is not allowed to choose to die without pain and with a bit of dignity?

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:05 pm

All of a sudden I regret that picture.

Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on the Moon, 82.

What Armstrong did was the culmination of the greatest project this planet has ever undertaken. That's why I *do* want to live here.
Roy Hunter

Postby PKMKII on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Another dead American hero.

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Jerry Nelson, voice of The Count, 78, emphysema (now known as COPD).
Roy Hunter

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:27 pm

Neil Armstrong and The Count? August has been a bad month for the death of heroes. :cry:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:01 am

We (the quiz team) winked at the moon in honour of Neil on Tuesday night.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion