Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby PKMKII on Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Olympics update: Latvia wins its first medal at London, beating Netherlands for the bronze in men's beach volleyball.

USA wins the gold in women's soccer, 2-1 over Japan. It was a well-played match all around, it easily could have gone to Japan. AFter the World Cup, this is turning into a classic rivalry.

Also, the spirit of the Olympics, the respect for all, was briefly broken at the end, with heavy booing for a powermongering despot with no caring for those he rules over.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:57 am

Those US lady footballers could show the men a thing or two...er, about football tactics I mean.

The USA v Canada match was a classic.

On a less optimistic note, Swansea City are considering selling Joe Allen to Liverpool...it doesn't look good for next season unless Michael Laudrup turns out to be a great manager.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:29 pm

Mexico beats Brazil, 2-1, for soccer gold.

This Olympics had a lot of soccer firsts and records:

First medal, and gold medal, for Mexico
    First medal for S. Korea
    First medal for Japan's women's team
    Best performance for North America, winning three of the six medals
    Best performance for Asia, winning two of the six
    First time in over a century that no European country won a medal
    First medal for Canada's women's team
    First time in over a century that a North American team won a medal in men's soccer
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 pm

Seattle Mariners pitcher Felix Hernandez threw the 23rd perfect game in MLB history today. It was the third perfect game of the season, an MLB record. By contrast, between 1923 and 1955, no perfect games were pitched. This was the second no-hitter the Mariners threw this season, and the second time a perfect game happened at the Mariner's Safeco Field this season (the Mariners were on the losing end of Phil Humber's perfect game).

PKMKII

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:55 am

black bart wrote:Those US lady footballers could show the men a thing or two...er, about football tactics I mean.

The USA v Canada match was a classic.

On a less optimistic note, Swansea City are considering selling Joe Allen to Liverpool...it doesn't look good for next season unless Michael Laudrup turns out to be a great manager.

He IS turning out to be a great manager:

QPR 0 - Swansea 5
Swansea 3 - West Ham 0
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:03 pm

So after Andy Murray won gold, I was thinking about how it was cool that he did it in Britain's most iconic sports venue. Which got me thinking: what do non-'muricans think is the most iconic American sports venue?

PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:05 pm

A night of unexpected surprises in Scottish football!
Premier League Kilmarnock knocked out of the Scottish Cup by 2nd Division Stenhousemuir. :lol:

Premier League Ross County knocked out of the Scottish Cup by 1st Division Raith Rovers. :haha:

Premier League Hibernian knocked out of the Scottish Cup by 2nd Division Queen Of The South. :idiot:

Completely expected and unsurprising:

Partick Thistle knocked out of the Scottish Cup by Hamilton.

:furious: :nefyoobash: :furious: :nefyoobash: :furious:
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:39 am

PKMKII wrote:So after Andy Murray won gold, I was thinking about how it was cool that he did it in Britain's most iconic sports venue. Which got me thinking: what do non-'muricans think is the most iconic American sports venue?

Is it Hawaii for the Surfing?

Only joking...er...the Shea Stadium? Indianapolis 500?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:13 am

PKMKII wrote:So after Andy Murray won gold, I was thinking about how it was cool that he did it in Britain's most iconic sports venue. Which got me thinking: what do non-'muricans think is the most iconic American sports venue?
The LA Olympic Stadium would be in with a shout if it didn't look quite so... Nazi?

Maybe Madison Square Garden? I know it hosts a lot of different sports, along with fantasy entertainment like WWE, but it certainly has an iconic name if nothing else.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:23 am

Madison Cube Garden. I see it a lot in Futurama.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:29 pm

black bart wrote:er...the Shea Stadium?

Why Shea? I mean, as a Mets fan it's important to me, but it wasn't the most historical stadium in the league by a long shot, and from an architectural standpoint, well, I heard it once compared unfavorably to a mall parking garage.

PKMKII

Postby black bart on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:59 am

PKMKII wrote:
black bart wrote:er...the Shea Stadium?

Why Shea? I mean, as a Mets fan it's important to me, but it wasn't the most historical stadium in the league by a long shot, and from an architectural standpoint, well, I heard it once compared unfavorably to a mall parking garage.

Don't be too hard on me I was only guessing. :cry:

I only know American sport from watching 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' which seems to suggest that it consists mainly of wealthy middle class men trying to play golf or 'go to the ball game'.

I did try to watch an American Football game on TV whilst I was in New York but there were advertising breaks every time the ball went out of play!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 am

Actually, the golf course at Augusta is fairly iconic.
Roy Hunter

Postby PKMKII on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:41 am

black bart wrote:Don't be too hard on me I was only guessing. :cry:

Wasn't being critical, just curious as to how you would know of Shea.

black bart wrote:I only know American sport from watching 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' which seems to suggest that it consists mainly of wealthy middle class men trying to play golf or 'go to the ball game'

That would explain it. Seinfeld had several Mets references over the years, so I would assume Larry David referenced the team and Shea on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

PKMKII

Postby black bart on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:29 am

I would be more than happy to accompany Larry David to any stadium of his choice and to watch whatever sport that's on offer...I bet he gets good seats.

To watch Chelsea at Stamford Bridge costs me about £45 a ticket.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion