What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:27 am

pieces o'nine wrote:I had made it halfway through Gödel, Escher, Bach and then, inexplicably, took a four-year hiatus. The marked chapter was not ringing any bells so, alas, I started over. Currently on Chapter 3. (Again.) :bummer:

Only took me a day to read... :whistle: :haha: Okay, so i've not read it.

Just started Snuff by Terry Pratchett. Great beginning, and really enjoying it so far. Sam Vimes on holiday is an interesting experience. It's like Witches Abroad, but with a copper.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Griffin on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:20 pm

Be reedin' 'Science - the very idea'. It be unreedable. Cant understand a word o' it. Must be too klevver fer me. h'unlikely h'as that seems.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:56 am

Still reading about Spain. Blimey the whole country is a tottering heap of corruption...only marginally less corrupt than Italy. It's all built on corrupt property deals, golf courses, dodgy fascists, dodgy left wingers, dodgy right wingers and the bikini.

There are 300,000 British people living in the Costa Del Sol!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:06 am

...and about 50,000 of them are wanted by The Met.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:39 am

Roy Hunter wrote:...and about 50,000 of them are wanted by The Met.

Apparently the British Criminals have been superseded by nastier gun toting Russian and Eastern European Mafia.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Still reading Leviticus, slowly but surely.

Earlier in the book, God says you're "unclean" for seven days if you have sex with a woman on her period. Then you wash your skin, change your clothes, and you're good to go.

Now, later in the book, you and the woman in question must be stoned to death.

All the goofy rules are funny, but I really want more narrative. How much longer until there's more narrative? I'm almost at the end of Leviticus, and next is Numbers. "Numbers" doesn't sound like the title of a narrative text. :bored:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby black bart on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:33 am

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Still reading Leviticus, slowly but surely.

Earlier in the book, God says you're "unclean" for seven days if you have sex with a woman on her period. Then you wash your skin, change your clothes, and you're good to go.

Now, later in the book, you and the woman in question must be stoned to death.

All the goofy rules are funny, but I really want more narrative. How much longer until there's more narrative? I'm almost at the end of Leviticus, and next is Numbers. "Numbers" doesn't sound like the title of a narrative text. :bored:

I seem to remember you must be stoned to death by members of your own family...or it doesn't count.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby la la on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:38 pm

black bart wrote:
I seem to remember you must be stoned to death by members of your own family... or it doesn't count.

So, do you get, like, a do-over? What if you're an orphan? What if your family is away on holiday up the coast? Do you have to wait and see if any other distant family members can be rounded up in the meantime? If there are going to be ridiculous rules they should at least be accompanied by some ridiculous provisos.

Roland Deschain wrote:
Just started Snuff ...

So very jealous right now! I'm not going to have money in my budget for a new Terry Pratchett book until next month - and I don't have I Shall Wear Midnight yet! How am I supposed to choose between a Sam Vimes book and a Nac Mac Feegle book?!

Right now I'm re-reading The Catcher in the Rye (JD Salinger), I find it a very comforting book.
"There's a hell of a good universe next door, let's go!" e e cummings

"And the new day was a great big fish." Terry Pratchett

"WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?" Terry Pratchett (yes again, I'm afraid. He's my absolute favourite author)
la la
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm reading Roberts Rules of Order, In Brief. Though I do have the full text with me as well, but I'll save that for the parts I might actually need.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I'm reading Roberts Rules of Order, In Brief.

Live extravagantly, Qwerty! Read it in Full Pirate Regalia. :haha:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby gronank on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:16 pm

The Athoritarians. It is a good, suprisingly easy and a bit scary read. I hope the author won't see the point of writing an "I told you so" book in the next few years.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:33 pm

Finally getting through some of my Karen Armstrong books from Christmas. I've decided to go in chronological order, so I'm starting with A history of God. Only just in the first chapter, but that means it's been a lot about pre-christian, even pre-monotheist conceptions of God, gods, religion, etc. Very interested in this book and her book on religious fundamentalism in particular.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:36 pm

I am going over my SAS book . It's a survivorman manual.
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:00 am

I am reading "The Philosopher's Beach Book". Philosophy on the beach. How many grains of sand denotes a heap?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:33 am

I am reading the National Gypsum Plaster Resource Manual. Ah, the things that happen when you buy an old house...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors