What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby black bart on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:38 am

The good news is 'The Wild West' really was wild...I have decided to join an Indian tribe and take the road of the Nez Pierces.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby la la on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:42 pm

I just recently finished "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" (Stieg Larsson), the third book in the series. Enjoyed it immensely once I got into it and I think Lisbeth is one of the most interesting female characters I've come across in a while. Now I'm starting "one fine day in the middle of the night" by Christopher Brookmyre. I don't normally enjoy crime fiction, but I'm still on the waiting list at the library for Game of Thrones and I need something to keep me busy in the meantime.

(I'm also reading The God Who May Be, by Richard Kearney, but as it's one of my textbooks this year it probably doesn't count. So far it's only about 70% comprehensible to me - but I never back down from a challenge! Unless I'm, you know, busy. Or lazy. Or House is on tv. But other than that - never! Aaargh!)

Thanks to all the posts in this thread, though, I have added a significant number of titles to my reading list! :haha:
"There's a hell of a good universe next door, let's go!" e e cummings

"And the new day was a great big fish." Terry Pratchett

"WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?" Terry Pratchett (yes again, I'm afraid. He's my absolute favourite author)
la la
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:32 pm

la la wrote:Now I'm starting "one fine day in the middle of the night" by Christopher Brookmyre.
Brookmyre quite often makes Scottish in-jokes. Anything you don't understand (like the influence of the reformation and Oliver Cromwell's foreign policy on Scottish football), give me a shout and I'll do my best to explain.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby la la on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:24 am

Thanks Roy! The last one of his I read was All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye, and I had a lot of fun looking up all the unique phrases that I didn't understand, like "wee nyaff" - that one made me laugh! I'd love to visit Scotland one day.

"WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?" Terry Pratchett (yes again, I'm afraid. He's my absolute favourite author)
la la
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:08 pm

la la wrote: I'd love to visit Scotland one day.

No you wouldn't, you'd love to visit the Scotland of Brookmyre's novels one day. Not the same thing :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Brookmyre's an excellent author. Persevere and you'll get there. Once you've got the feel of his version of Scotland, read Trainspotting. It's on a whole other planet. :shocked: :haha:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby la la on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:24 am

daftbeaker wrote: No you wouldn't, you'd love to visit the Scotland of Brookmyre's novels one day. Not the same thing.

Fair enough, and very true. But then, all I know of other countries or places is what I have learned from books/television/google, etc. And unless and until I get a chance to experience a place first-hand I would have to concede that I don't really have any idea what it's actually like.

When I read Peking, though, it definitely definitely didn't make me want to go to Peking :haha:

I'll try to get hold of Trainspotting though, thanks Roland.

la la
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:02 am

Keep Urban Dictionary and any Scottish slang sites you may know of open when doing that. Trust me. You'll need it, lol.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:35 am

Hmmm... Now I'm thinking about a long-winded tale in which Alex the droog meets Renton and Spud in the Benbow, where they strike up a conversation with Mad Will. Would anyone understand a word of it?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby PKMKII on Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:56 pm

daftbeaker wrote:
la la wrote: I'd love to visit Scotland one day.

No you wouldn't, you'd love to visit the Scotland of Brookmyre's novels one day. Not the same thing :haha:

As long as Arbroath smokies aren't fictional, I want to visit Scotland.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:29 am

Arbroath Smokies and Cullen Skink are both very much real.

Currently reading everything I can get my hands on about the demise of Rangers FC. I've been looking for the start point to the story, where it all started to go wrong, so I can write up a story for the Sports thread.

I am currently back at about 1983, with Scotland's first players' agent Bill McMurdo making an appearance. Maybe I'll just have to write the edited highlights instead...
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:23 am

I am reading Ghosts of Spain by Giles Tremlett.

it's about Spain.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby la la on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:36 am

I'm enjoying Christopher Brookmyre a hell of a lot, and I also just finished Beatrice and Virgil, by Yann Martel. It's a Holocaust story, but nothing like any Holocaust story I've ever read before. One of those books that makes me wish I knew the author so I could tell him how great I thought it was.

la la
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby black bart on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:24 am

"Fifty Shades of Agnes Grey" ... those Bronte Sisters :lech:
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:44 am

I had made it halfway through Gödel, Escher, Bach and then, inexplicably, took a four-year hiatus. The marked chapter was not ringing any bells so, alas, I started over. Currently on Chapter 3. (Again.) :bummer:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors