Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Tomorrow, Saturday, I will be hosting a radio show at RadioRefuge. I will be playing a very broad variety of music, probably focusing on classic rock and alternative rock, but there will be variety.

http://calref.net/ is Calamity Refuge, where the show will be hosted. You may register there and join in the chatroom (the admins need to approve you first) but it's not necessary.

How to Listen

Note: There are many ways to listen, the following are just examples.

Windows Download and install Screamer Radio ( http://www.screamer-radio.com/ ). Then, go to File > Open URL, and paste calref.net:8000/stream into the dialog and hit enter. You can also use media players like Windows Media Player and VLC, although I don't know how to do it specifically with those.

iPhone/iPod/iPad Install Fstream from the App Store. Then go to Favorites-Edit-Add new webradio and enter "RadioRefuge", "calref.net:8000/stream", and "WindowsLatin1". Then simply hit "RadioRefuge" on the Play screen.

Linux mplayer calref.net:8000/stream (This will work on any system with mplayer installed (ie., Windows and Mac as well) but uses the command-line. There are some GUI front-ends available)

If you just hear static, it means there's either no broadcast or a signal problem. It does mean you're connected however.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Whole Of The Moon by The Waterboys

Dandelion Wine by Gregory Alan Isakov

And a mess of oldies by Del Shannon , Ricky Nelson , and Marty Robbins .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Dos Dedos Mis Amigos by Pop Will Eat Itself. It's an interesting album. Personal highlights are Menofearthereaper and Familus Horribilus.

While a lot of their earlier stuff featured loads of samples this feels more like a live band. In some ways the obviously bass-guitar bass rather than synthetic dance-song bass reminds me of the Prodigy. Not really a surprise given they collaborated :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:29 pm

^ That's not too bad, DB, which makes a change. I love The Prodigy, and their influence definitely comes out on this track. I wasn't sure that i'd be overly taken with their previous albums from what you said, but the other song of theirs that I listened to was quite good, most likely because of the Industrial feel to it. This album should have been their evolution, not their end.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:00 pm

DoYaThing - Gorillaz featuring Andre 3000 and James Murphy (of LCD Soundsystem)

Fun song, not entirely sure how I feel about it though. I really like Gorillaz, but because their sound can be all over the place, can be hit or miss.

Wait, song has changed now to Caroline and Her Young Sailor Bold by Andrea Corr. Huzzah for depressing sea chanty's!
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:51 pm

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Black Sabbath. Why didn't I start listening to this kind of music sooner?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:42 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Black Sabbath. Why didn't I start listening to this kind of music sooner?

I bought their first album within a couple of weeks of its release, been a fan ever since. I have seven CD's in my car as I type. Tony Iommi is the originator of the sound that evolved into today's metal scene. Unfortunately he has recently been diagnosed with cancer, so chances are he's on the way out. Sad face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI4hlclo8D4&feature=related
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:04 am

I heard a few Black Sabbath songs several years back, and they didn't do anything for me. I think they were "Heaven And Hell", "Iron Man", and "Electric Funeral".

Maybe now that I've gotten into other metal bands like Pantera, Metallica, Rammstein, and Rage Against The Machine and my tastes have broadened, I'll appreciate Black Sabbath more. On the other hand, for each of those bands I've heard one album plus a few other spare tracks, and there's a lot that I'm really ambivalent toward.

Whenever I hear Ronnie James Dio's name, I think of a huge, grotesquely muscular man wearing nothing but a wrestling championship belt. Damned Final Fantasy. :idiot:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:04 am

I'm just investigating the first two albums right now, 'cause I like listening to debut albums, and the second has Paranoia and War Pigs. War Pigs is actually the reason I got it, I heard it on the radio (certainly not for the first time) and was just like "Damn, I need to get more of these guys."

I'm not as widely experienced in the world of metal, but particularly compared to something like Rammstein, (early) Sabbath is a lot more... funky? Not bluesy exactly, but it's interesting to hear how close it is to older genres in certain ways.

I think Murdoc Niccals of Gorillaz puts it best: "My first true love was always Heavy Metal. Lovely, thick, gooey, black metal."

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:05 pm

I am going through all my talk talk albums and have been playing " Living In Another World" repeatedly .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Sk8er boi by Avril Lavigne. I actually quite like it (it's one of about three of her songs I'm quite partial to.)

Having said that, it was released in 2002. That's ten years ago. I remember being all offended at people calling her 'punk' when it was released. Now I feel old.

daftbeaker

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:02 am

Imaginary Day by Pat Metheney. I forgot how awesome that album is.

Second cut.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Aqua
Don't judge me!
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:25 pm

Gasp!
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors